THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+6
Jan1
Derek
Sharon
mo1905
Paul1976
Andy12345
10 posters

Have a Chat

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Have a Chat - Page 7 Empty Re: Have a Chat

Post by graham64 Fri Aug 26 2016, 21:41

Derek wrote:Been locked out for weeks by that bizarre Google Guardian that doesn't know the difference between a bot and a forum member!
    atb
    Derek

That's a new one on me Derek what's Google Guardian Question
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Sat Aug 27 2016, 21:54

Hi Graham, When I tried to log in it said I didn't have an account or my log in was suspect in some way? It then mentioned google guardian and prompted me to read obscure letters and numbers which I filled in correctly and repeatedly however it never accepted my answers s correct! Very odd, we may have lost members with this problem?
    It is all OK now.
    atb
    Derek
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sat Aug 27 2016, 23:20

Derek wrote:Hi Graham, When I tried to log in it said I didn't have an account or my log in was suspect in some way?  It then mentioned google guardian and prompted me to read obscure letters and numbers which I filled in correctly and repeatedly however it never accepted my answers s correct! Very odd, we may have lost members with this problem?
    It is all OK now.
    atb
    Derek

Weird I've had an occasional catchpa come up when trying to post a new thread but never had any problems logging in, you're right it could put members off if they have the same trouble as you, just hope it's not been a regular occurrence.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Wed Aug 31 2016, 10:00

>>>

Change of subject!

I read this recently and thought it a good idea

Sainsbury's trials weekly Slow Shopping session to help elderly customers

"A supermarket is introducing a weekly "Slow Shopping" session to help elderly or vulnerable customers.
    The Sainsbury's store in Gosforth, Newcastle, will have staff on hand to greet people at the door and help with their shopping as well as putting out chairs at the end of aisles.
    The trial, which will run every Tuesday between 1pm and 3pm, will also see two help desks set up offering free samples of fruit, biscuits and cake.
    Katherine Vero, founder of Slow Shopping, came up with the idea after finding it difficult to go shopping with her mother after she developed dementia.
    She said: "My mum used to love shopping but as her dementia developed it became increasingly difficult and stressful for us both.
    "But I didn't want her to stop going out and become isolated. I wondered if there was a way to help us enjoy shopping.
    "After she passed away, I was inspired to come up with the idea of Slow Shopping and was delighted when Sainsbury's agreed to help me trial it. I hope other retailers will follow."

Earlier this year, an Asda store in Manchester introduced a "quiet hour" to help autistic and disabled shoppers.

The special disability-friendly hour was started to help local people who feel intimidated or stressed by noise and disturbance.

It involved the store opening an hour early without many electronic distractions, such as escalators and display TVs, and no announcements made over the tannoy.

Story here:
    http://money.aol.co.uk/2016/08/29/sainsburys-trials-weekly-slow-shopping-session-to-help-elderly-customers/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D-1955958008_uk

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Sep 02 2016, 21:13

Finally the school holidays are over  cheers it's now catch up time on all the jobs that have been neglected over the last few weeks  Crying or Very sad
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Sep 03 2016, 12:21

graham64 wrote:Got a call on Thursday from an ex work colleague must be at least twelve years since we last talked, after lengthy chat reminiscing about our times at Leyland Vehicles he said a bit of a do (reunion) was being arranged, it transpires another ex workmate has a boat on the Lancaster canal at Garstang marina  and I'm invited for cruise down to 'Owd Nells Canalside Tavern for a meal and a beer or three on Sunday 4th September  beer

Have a Chat - Page 7 Garstang-marina-lancaster-canal

Have a Chat - Page 7 Nells%20Front%20Door%200002a

Keeping fingers crossed that it will be a nice sunny day for you tomorrow Smile

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Sep 05 2016, 23:02

Had a great day out on Sunday we were blessed with decent weather, I was picked up at 9.30 am and we arrived at my friends house 30 minutes later enjoyed a chat over a beer before heading off to the marina, not knowing what to expect I was surprised to find we were going on a narrowboat that had actually been built by my ex workmate  Shocked

Boarded the boat after loading supplies beer and we set off to 'Owd Nells Canalside Tavern. about four miles away at Bilsborrow mooring up half way for a barbecue and more liquid refreshments beer  on the towpath. On arrival at Owd Nells more liquid refreshments beer  were quaffed before our return journey which was spent reminiscing and laughing about our many years working as a team at Leyland and of course there was even more liquid refreshments beer  to consume, on arriving back at Garstang we moored up opposite the Th'Owd Tithe Barn were need I say it beer we were invited back for supper at our hosts house but as it was already 9.30 we reluctantly declined and departed for home and got back around 10.15 pm, all in all a great time was had by all and we are going to keep in touch with more meet ups in the future

Wish I had taken more photos here's the few I did

Have a Chat - Page 7 Img_2010
    Note the layout not the standard tiller but  hydraulic steering via a wheel

Have a Chat - Page 7 Img_2011

To the aft there was enough room albeit a bit tight to accommodate all eight of us

Have a Chat - Page 7 Img_2012

Finally the skipper mine hosts son

Have a Chat - Page 7 Img_2013
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 06 2016, 11:29

graham64 wrote:Had a great day out on Sunday we were blessed with decent weather, I was picked up at 9.30 am and we arrived at my friends house 30 minutes later enjoyed a chat over a beer before heading off to the marina, not knowing what to expect I was surprised to find we were going on a narrowboat that had actually been built by my ex workmate  Shocked

Boarded the boat after loading supplies beer and we set off to 'Owd Nells Canalside Tavern. about four miles away at Bilsborrow mooring up half way for a barbecue and more liquid refreshments beer  on the towpath. On arrival at Owd Nells more liquid refreshments beer  were quaffed before our return journey which was spent reminiscing and laughing about our many years working as a team at Leyland and of course there was even more liquid refreshments beer  to consume, on arriving back at Garstang we moored up opposite the Th'Owd Tithe Barn were need I say it beer we were invited back for supper at our hosts house but as it was already 9.30 we reluctantly declined and departed for home and got back around 10.15 pm, all in all a great time was had by all and we are going to keep in touch with more meet ups in the future

Wish I had taken more photos here's the few I did

Have a Chat - Page 7 Img_2010
    Note the layout not the standard tiller but  hydraulic steering via a wheel

Have a Chat - Page 7 Img_2011

To the aft there was enough room albeit a bit tight to accommodate all eight of us

Have a Chat - Page 7 Img_2012

Finally the skipper mine hosts son

Have a Chat - Page 7 Img_2013

What a great day, sounds and looks fantastic and so nice to enjoy a day with your friends, so pleased the weather was good

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Sep 08 2016, 11:38

Such a nice sunny day and not too humid - which is good.

Shortly off out visiting family  ... see you soon

All the best Jan and Eddie

PS Did you see any of the wonderful wildlife pictures like these kung-fu puffins!

chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Sep 09 2016, 22:44

Sounds good Graham, did you take a detour to piss on Lord Stokes' grave?
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sat Sep 10 2016, 22:51

chris c wrote:Sounds good Graham, did you take a detour to piss on Lord Stokes' grave?

Haha, not only Stokes but some of his successors warrant that too  Twisted Evil
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Sep 12 2016, 20:16

graham64 wrote:
    chris c wrote:Sounds good Graham, did you take a detour to piss on Lord Stokes' grave?

Sadly the British Disease, lions led by donkeys. I had the misfortune to meet some ex-Leyland directors and managers, though from the car side. Assholes one and all.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Tue Sep 13 2016, 21:33

chris c wrote:
    graham64 wrote:

Sadly the British Disease, lions led by donkeys. I had the misfortune to meet some ex-Leyland directors and managers, though from the car side. Assholes one and all.

Fair comment the same applies to Leyland Truck and Bus directors and managers, in the days when I first joined Leyland directors and managers all worked their up through the company and had practical knowledge of products and the shop floor sadly they were gradually replaced by university graduates  Rolling Eyes
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Sep 15 2016, 21:49

Yes! I've seen no end of companies go down the tubes led by "professional management". Yet I've known some very competent managers and company directors with exceptionally sharp minds but few paper qualifications. Probably the NHS is no different.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Sep 15 2016, 22:45

chris c wrote:Yes! I've seen no end of companies go down the tubes led by "professional management". Yet I've known some very competent managers and company directors with exceptionally sharp minds but few paper qualifications. Probably the NHS is no different.

When we were building prototypes any problems and the design engineers would get their sleeves rolled up and work alongside the fitters to resolve any issues if it needed any mods the new drawings would be with us in a couple of day, when the graduates took over they would just scratch their heads and disappear drawing mods could take weeks to surface, a well that's progress for you  Rolling Eyes
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Sep 18 2016, 22:09

A friend was MD and co-owner of an engineering firm, one of my suppliers. He always kept several lines of work going, so if one thing fell off he could pick up elsewhere.

He bought a massive lathe cheap, and when he and his staff had trained themselves up on its capabilities he went out and got eighteen months work for it.

The reason he got it cheap was that the previous owners who were a large and well known company decided when business fell off to sell it and sack the operator.

As my friend pointed out, the work was already there if they had the nous to go out and find it. But like so many large companies with "professional management" they couldn't see beyond "downsizing"
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Sep 29 2016, 19:04

Did you know?

Ladislao José Biro’s 117th birthday

You may not know the name Ladislao José Bíro, but you certainly know his most famous invention: the ballpoint pen.

Bíro was born in Budapest, Hungary, into a Jewish family. A journalist by trade, Bíro noticed how efficiently newspapers were printed and how quickly the ink dried – in stark contrast to his fountain pen. He worked with his brother, György Bíro, a chemist, to develop a new type of pen made up of a ball that turned in a socket. As the ball turned, it picked up ink from a cartridge and rolled to deposit it on paper, much like a newsprint roller transfers an inked image to paper.

Bíro presented the first prototype of the ballpoint pen at the Budapest International Fair in 1931, later patenting his invention in 1938. To this day, the ballpoint pen is still referred to as the “Biro” in several countries.

Today we celebrate Bíro and his relentless, forward-thinking spirit on the 117th anniversary of his birth.

Details from here
    https://www.google.com/doodles/ladislao-jose-biros-117th-birthday

Have you used a biro today ...

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Oct 01 2016, 13:53

Have a Chat - Page 7 Valerie_Hart_October_Art

Have a lovely month of October
    Have you any plans for Autumnal walks

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Oct 01 2016, 21:52

We had a manager who was notorious for stealing people's biros. Then when you asked for a new one you would be told they weren't available. They were probably all in his desk. I ended up buying them by the box, good old Bics. Then fibre tips took over, now I'm back to ball pentels. We used to have to use fountain pens at school, horrid scratchy things.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Oct 02 2016, 17:51

Going back to my school days ...

I can remember being taught italic writing, my teachers name was Mrs Edwards, it's amazing how some teachers and their names remain with you.

We were advised to get Osmiroid Italic Fountain pens ... and I used to enjoy the lessons.

These days my go to pen is usually a Papermate, and I no longer do italic writing!

All the best Jan
    flower
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Oct 03 2016, 20:11

I think my father had an Osmiroid Italic!
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Oct 20 2016, 22:42

Went for my six month A1c blood test today already had the paperwork to give the phlebotomist it was just for the A1c and  U&E to check sodium levels, was surprised to find out the phlebotomist had me down for a full blood count don't know why it was changed not seen anyone since I had my yearly review in march. Don't believe it's a change in policy could be a mistake by one of the Docs
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Fri Oct 21 2016, 19:11

graham64 wrote:Went for my six month A1c blood test today already had the paperwork to give the phlebotomist it was just for the A1c and  U&E to check sodium levels, was surprised to find out the phlebotomist had me down for a full blood count don't know why it was changed not seen anyone since I had my yearly review in march. Don't believe it's a change in policy could be a mistake by one of the Docs

Interesting Graham. It was the first time the nurse had decided to do a full blood count for me two weeks ago when I had my cholesterol, U & E's and liver readings done.
    regards
    Derek
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Oct 21 2016, 21:46

Derek wrote:
    graham64 wrote:Went for my six month A1c blood test today already had the paperwork to give the phlebotomist it was just for the A1c and  U&E to check sodium levels, was surprised to find out the phlebotomist had me down for a full blood count don't know why it was changed not seen anyone since I had my yearly review in march. Don't believe it's a change in policy could be a mistake by one of the Docs

Interesting Graham. It was the first time the nurse had decided to do a full blood count for me two weeks ago when I had my cholesterol, U & E's and liver readings done.
    regards
    Derek

Since diagnosis I've always had a full blood count done on my annual check up Derek but never on the six month review, it maybe a mistake will find out when I see the DSN later next month
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Oct 21 2016, 22:08

So long as they don't charge you for it . . . best of luck

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 02:11