THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+5
Eddie
graham64
Mrs Vimes
zand
Jan1
9 posters

Have a Chat - September

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Have a Chat - September Empty Have a Chat - September

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 01 2015, 15:46

As it's a new month I thought perhaps to start off a new thread for our September Chat  Smile

So having braved the shops this morning, along with so many parents and children getting their last minute 'Back to School' items ... my afternoon cuppa is going down so well.

I guess many teachers were back in today ... I know Mrs Vimes was (she said so on another thread). Is it countdown to half term already Question  No surely not although I know of one grandson who is already looking forward to pumpkin choosing, which is around half term week.

Have a Chat - September O%2Bwith%2Bpumpkin

Hope your Tuesday is going well so far ... do please stop and say hello sunny

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Have a Chat - September Empty Re: Have a Chat - September

Post by zand Tue Sep 01 2015, 15:54

Awwww I want one ! ( a grandson, not a pumpkin Wink )
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 01 2015, 16:02

zand wrote:Awwww   I want one !  ( a grandson, not a pumpkin   Wink  )

Thanks Zand ... he is a joy.

I met another Gran with her young grandson this morning ... he was helping her shop and doing very well, he was so happy and engrossed ... sure the shopping may have taken a little longer but he was so happy, and learning about food ... I noticed she had a lot of fresh foods, and not a box of cereal in sight Smile

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Tue Sep 01 2015, 16:28

Yes that is a lovely sight. My own first born was a real handful (born 10 weeks early and borderline hyperactive). It took me a while to work out that when I was feeling well, he behaved in the supermarket. When I was feeling ill (constant throat and chest infections) he played up. So I made an effort to engage him in everything from then on no matter how ill I felt (difficult because he was often deaf with glue ear). He became really helpful at recognising 'our cheese' or 'Gran's cheese' and packing the bags so that her stuff was separate and mine was all packed in cupboard order.

Happy Days!

Of course when he became a teenager all that changed. Shocked
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Sep 01 2015, 21:57

Ah bless!

Dammit I forgot to say White Rabbits, now I'll be haunted by disaster all month. I saw the New Moon through glass too. I'm doomed, I tell you!
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 02 2015, 12:05

Meeting up with a friend for a low carb lunch today !

The sun is actually shining so may also have a walk around the lake

Have a Chat - September Maxresdefault

See you later

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 02 2015, 20:50

Enjoyed a wonderful low carb lunch today and a chat ... it's always good to chat Smile

The sun actually stayed out long enough for us to enjoy some outdoor time ... magic.

However, as I type this the rain has come back ... Oh Well

... also had phone calls from two of the grandchildren - return to school went well today  flower

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Sep 02 2015, 21:46

I walked from the Co-Op to town and it started raining halfway there, dammit as I'd just had a shower and needn't have bothered drying myself so thoroughly.

Drove out to the farm for more beans, then the pretty way to the smokehouse for fish, arriving five minutes before they closed.

Went on to a nature reserve I'd already discovered one end of, but a road was closed for maintenance and I wasn't sure where the path was, so I went on down the coast where the roads were coated in mud from a recent rainstorm, and tried to find a way to the other end.

There was a magnificent rainbow over the wind turbines way out at sea, but I would have needed a 2000 mm lens and a tripod made of girders to do it justice.

A whole bunch of rare-but-not-uncommon birds including a magnificent short eared owl which resembled a flying cat.

What a relief that most of the holidaymakers have gone home and left the place to people who know how to drive on narrow country lanes with passing places.

I passed a pub which used to do magnificent fish meals but has now closed down after changing hands a couple of times. I debated which other pub to eat at but I had so much good scran in the car I decided to come home and cook for myself. Colour me boring but low carb/paleo.
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Female Posts : 156

Post by Mrs Vimes Wed Sep 02 2015, 21:56

Your grandson is so cute! And it's 38 get ups to half term. Ahem, not that I'm counting, just informing.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Wed Sep 02 2015, 22:16

Jan wrote:... also had phone calls from two of the grandchildren - return to school went well today

Thank god the school holidays are over after spending a lot time looking after my grandkids over the past six weeks though I love them to bits I'm ready for a break now Very Happy
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Sep 03 2015, 20:32

That's the benefit of being a grandparent (or an uncle, or even an honorary uncle)
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Sep 04 2015, 19:32

Love your avatar Chris ...

Hope you've had a good Friday !

... I'm just hoping the weather gets warmer over the weekend  Smile So much nicer to enjoy a walk when it's a bit warmer.

All the best Jan
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Fri Sep 04 2015, 20:02

I like your new avatar Chris it's uncanny, you are dead ringer for Graham, are you related? couch
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Sep 04 2015, 20:28

Outed!
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Fri Sep 04 2015, 21:12

Off to Lodestar Festival tomorrow night where Razorlight are headlining so hope weather stays good. We have VIP passes as my son and Lodestar Festivals owner have been boyfriend/girlfriend for years ! Gonna meet the band ! On the downside, I may have to stay sober :-(
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Sep 05 2015, 12:52

Have a great time at the festival Mo - hope the weather stays good.

Talking of weather, it's certainly changing ... but I love the colours of Autumn don't you?

Have a Chat - September Fall-tree-branch-leaves-along-river_-_Virginia_-_ForestWander

All the best Jan
    flower
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Sep 05 2015, 13:02

This morning I woke up to find we had a power cut, so I went downstairs and just lay on the sofa watching the birds in the apple tree. There was a fully grown bluetit watching at a distance as 6 baby ones played 'tag' with each other and a baby squirrel. I watched for about 15 minutes. It was wonderful. I have seen this before with a young squirrel and 4 young magpies. It was lovely to see them having fun and not looking at all threatened by one another.

Anyhow the scene this morning changed when an adult and a baby robin turned up. The others including the squirrel fled. So my conclusion is that it's true - robins are very territorial. Smile

The electricity was back on after an hour and I thoroughly enjoyed my enforced look at nature. Now back to the TV though. Smile sick
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Sep 05 2015, 13:09

I think it is so lovely to take a few minutes each day to just look at what we are so fortunate to be able to enjoy, and so often there are so many good things to see ...

Have a Chat - September 1

The UK's favourite bird - with its bright red breast it is familar throughout the year and especially at Christmas! Males and females look identical, and young birds have no red breast and are spotted with golden brown. Robins sing nearly all year round and despite their cute appearance, they are aggressively territorial and are quick to drive away intruders. They will sing at night next to street lights.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/r/robin/

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sat Sep 05 2015, 13:10

Jan1 wrote:Have a great time at the festival Mo - hope the weather stays good.

Talking of weather, it's certainly changing ... but I love the colours of Autumn don't you?

Have a Chat - September Fall-tree-branch-leaves-along-river_-_Virginia_-_ForestWander

All the best Jan
    flower

I do too-In fact Autumn is my favourite season and my mood always lifts around now,I have the the opposite of seasonal affective disorder as my mood is at it's lowest between May and September.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Sep 05 2015, 13:15

@Paul1976 so you're getting happier while I'm getting sadder. Shocked
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sat Sep 05 2015, 13:17

zand wrote:@Paul1976 so you're getting happier while I'm getting sadder.  Shocked

Sad but true...Long days and higher temperatures really screw with my mental health although I've spoke to others with Asperger's who feel the same in the summer.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Sep 05 2015, 13:23

Paul1976 wrote:
    zand wrote:@Paul1976 so you're getting happier while I'm getting sadder.  Shocked

Sad but true...Long days and higher temperatures really screw with my mental health although I've spoke to others with Asperger's who feel the same in the summer.

When you put it like that it makes sense. That must be really tough for you. It's bad enough having SAD but yours must be more difficult to cope with. So we're not likely to be happy at the same time then eh?

My favourite month is April because the Summer is yet to come.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Sep 05 2015, 16:09

I spotted this story today

" Dad Collects Leftover Crayons At Restaurants And Launches 'The Crayon Initiative' For Sick Children

When a dad asked a waiter what they did with the leftover restaurant crayons, he probably didn't anticipate the consequence it was going to have.

But after being told they were simply thrown in the bin, Bryan Ware from San Fransisco decided to take a stand.

In 2011, he began collecting the restaurant crayons after each meal, with a mission to get them into as many children’s hands as possible.

Two years on, the dad-of-two founded The Crayon Initiative, an organisation that repurposes crayon wax into new crayons and distributes them to children’s hospitals across California.

In September 2015, Ware will be heading to New York City to make the first delivery of crayons out of his state."

Read more here

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/09/03/the-crayon-initiative-bryan-ware-_n_8082694.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D379690

Have a Chat - September Crayons

The simple things can and do so often help others .....  sunny

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 09 2015, 19:27

mo1905 wrote:Off to Lodestar Festival tomorrow night where Razorlight are headlining so hope weather stays good. We have VIP passes as my son and Lodestar Festivals owner have been boyfriend/girlfriend for years ! Gonna meet the band ! On the downside, I may have to stay sober :-(

Hope it was good Mo ...

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 09 2015, 19:33

We seem to have a lot of magpie's around at present and they can be quite noisy.

Have a Chat - September 9k=

" With its noisy chattering, black-and-white plumage and long tail, there is nothing else quite like the magpie in the UK. When seen close-up its black plumage takes on an altogether more colourful hue with a purplish-blue iridescent sheen to the wing feathers, and a green gloss to the tail. Magpies seem to be jacks of all trades - scavengers, predators and pest-destroyers, their challenging, almost arrogant attitude has won them few friends. Non-breeding birds will gather together in flocks."

Have any visited you lately ?

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 10:38