THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+27
Mrs Vimes
Xyz
zand
Catza
Loobles
Thundercat
OldTech
LowCarbDietitian
j
Thommothebear
Jan1
Dillinger
Denise
graham64
Andy12345
Mud Island Dweller
Eddie
xyzzy
cold ethyl
sanguine
robert72
Paul1976
novorapidboi26
horfilmania
Scandichic
Indy51
mo1905
31 posters

A bit of an introduction !

mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

A bit of an introduction ! - Page 7 Empty Re: A bit of an introduction !

Post by mo1905 Fri Aug 29 2014, 17:29

What meds, if any, are you currently on Bode ?
    Bode
    Bode

Female Posts : 21

Post by Bode Fri Aug 29 2014, 17:35

Hey Mo - I currently take 2g Metformin for the 'betes.  I started on Janumet ( 1gmet + Januvia) but the UK doc didn't want to continue the Januvia and I was ok with that after reading a bit of the recent stuff.  I also take Losartan for my BP.  I am very sure I don't need 2g of met anymore but the DN said any less was not effective.  I didn't want to fight with her that day so just took the prescription.  I am taking them all right now to see if the extra helps me feel any less hungry  Smile The met seems to have almost no effect on my actual BG readings - its all about the diet and amount of sleep for me.

And thanks for the info Paul - that makes me feel a bit better. I think I will still giggle when I read someone saying they have done 8 BMs that day though!
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Fri Aug 29 2014, 17:40

Metformin doesn't really affect BG too much but it helps with insulin resistance. Are you blood glucose levels in range now ? I heard metformin was an appetite suppressant too but I've not really found that.
    Bode
    Bode

Female Posts : 21

Post by Bode Fri Aug 29 2014, 17:47

They are fine as long as I eat <50g carbs/day. Usually in the 4s on waking and hang out in the 5s for the rest of the day. I need to get better about testing before sleep. This week all my waking numbers are in the 5s but I feel like a cold is coming so that's probably it.
    I do struggle to test at the right times, mostly because my schedule is always flipping around to work nights. July was bad - my birthday along with other stuff and I pretty much ate what I wanted and didn't test. Been back on track over two weeks now so looking forward to next week when all my cravings should be gone. Smile
    Scandichic
    Scandichic

Female Posts : 109

Post by Scandichic Sat Aug 30 2014, 14:34

Bode wrote:Thanks for the welcome everyone!  Yeah that Doc was a trip and a half.  It didn't help that I had zero idea I had diabetes, had none of the usual symptoms and no family history.  I was there to get my blood pressure looked at!  Looking back, at least he was sort of positive and not mean about it.  He refused to believe me when I said that I didn't drink regular coke though - I guess in his mind it is sugary drinks that are the direct cause of Type 2.  

My dietician however was a nightmare.  It was two weeks into diagnosis.. I couldn't get my meter to work (turned out it was broken).  I was absolutely terrified of all of it and that I would end up on insulin.  I have a needle phobia and all I could see was needles coming at me.  I wanted her to reassure me that I had years and years to go before it would be necessary to use insulin.  Or at least admit that it was possible that I might have awhile.  But noooooo - she wanted me more scared and afraid and told me at least 100 times in 30 minutes that this is a progressive disease and I might as well face the fact that I would be shooting up within months and probably dead soon after.  I still wish I could punch her.  Maybe some people need the fear approach but I really needed a bit of nurturing.

My doctors here in England have all just said "what meds do you want/were you taking?" and then just prescribed them.  The DN did not ask about my diet but I mentioned I low carbed as I wanted to ask her about supplements and she just said eating less carbs helped with blood sugar.

I do have a question.  I haven't seen it here but I see it on the other forum.  Why do people talk about BMs?? what do they think those letters stand for?  I could see BS or BG but I don't get the M.  I am used to BM being used for something else *entirely* and it makes me laugh or blush every time I see it!
    My diabetic nurse was the HCP from hell. Pretty much the same as your dietician. Told me to eat carbs with every meal. When I declined, she threw a strop and said she wouldn't see me anymore and referred me on to the hospital. Don't know what she wrote in the notes but the doc told me very apologetically that he could see that it hadn't gone well and that I would need to see him from now on! It really pees them off that I follow LCHF, have lost loads of weight and have good control of bs!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 17:43