THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+27
Mrs Vimes
Xyz
zand
Catza
Loobles
Thundercat
OldTech
LowCarbDietitian
j
Thommothebear
Jan1
Dillinger
Denise
graham64
Andy12345
Mud Island Dweller
Eddie
xyzzy
cold ethyl
sanguine
robert72
Paul1976
novorapidboi26
horfilmania
Scandichic
Indy51
mo1905
31 posters

A bit of an introduction !

Scandichic
    Scandichic

Female Posts : 109

A bit of an introduction ! - Page 6 Empty Re: A bit of an introduction !

Post by Scandichic Sat Aug 23 2014, 11:49

dianaseaside wrote:
    Scandichic wrote:
    mo1905 wrote:Free T shirt after you hit 1000 "likes" ! Oh, hold on, we don't have a "like" button.........
    I was just after a pen.....

With a Blankety Blankety Blank cheque book!

Gosh that ages us!  Shocked 
    Says you! I have just finished drying my hair whilst listening to Sunday Girl by Blondie!  Cool 
    Scandichic
    Scandichic

Female Posts : 109

Post by Scandichic Sat Aug 23 2014, 11:55

mo1905 wrote:
    Scandichic wrote:
    mo1905 wrote:Free T shirt after you hit 1000 "likes" ! Oh, hold on, we don't have a "like" button.........
    I was just after a pen.....

I get mine from Argos. They just leave them lying around ! Bargain !!!
    How about free strips for those T2s whose docs won't provide them?!  lol! 
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Aug 25 2014, 16:28

I just thought I'd take a moment and say hello to any and all recent members.

If you haven't yet posted we'd be pleased to hear from you. Anything from a hello .....hi .....a question .....even just a smile Smile  

We're a friendly bunch and despite the rain on this August Bank Holiday it's sunny here in the new low carb diabetic forum.   sunny   lol!

All the best Jan
    fergus

Post by fergus Mon Aug 25 2014, 17:08

Hello fellow scurvy sufferers!

Yer man Eddie has done a top job setting this website up, it's the least I can do to tip up every now and then and join the fun if I can.

Gone are the days when the low carb thing was very much a minority interest amongst those who just didn't know any better. The outside world is catching on fast, I still rub my eyes in disbelief when the news carries stories about benign fat and protein and harmful carbohydrates. Who knew?

All the best everyone,

fergus
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Mon Aug 25 2014, 17:18

Hi Fergus

Welcome aboard my friend and low carb guru. This guy has helped so many and I am chuffed that he has joined our fledgling forum. Not only is he highly knowledgeable, he has the driest wit and a great sense of humour.

Regards Eddie
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Mon Aug 25 2014, 17:21

Wahey!! Smile Welcome Fergus! Great to have you onboard! Your time on the DCUK forum was before my time but I was blew away by your low carb success story after I found a link to it on The low carb diabetic blog!

All the best

Paul
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Mon Aug 25 2014, 17:23

Welcome to the forum Fergus !
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Aug 25 2014, 17:29

Hi Fergus

Great to see you here. sunny

Thanks to you ..... Eddie is still holding non diabetic numbers six years on. As is Graham, John Wilson, Libby, Ray Davies, Dillinger and many many others too many to name.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

All the best Jan
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Mon Aug 25 2014, 19:54

hi, welcome fergus, can i have your autograph please? or maybe sign a slice of bread? your reputation preceeds you Smile
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Mon Aug 25 2014, 21:26

fergus wrote:Hello fellow scurvy sufferers!

Yer man Eddie has done a top job setting this website up, it's the least I can do to tip up every now and then and join the fun if I can.

Gone are the days when the low carb thing was very much a minority interest amongst those who just didn't know any better. The outside world is catching on fast, I still rub my eyes in disbelief when the news carries stories about benign fat and protein and harmful carbohydrates. Who knew?

All the best everyone,

fergus

Well this is a real blast from the past, how are you doing ferg long time no see Very Happy As Jan said there are still quite a few of the class of 2008 around besides those mentioned IanD and Hana are still posting at the other place, you will remember Mrs Pugwash the LC dietitian she posted comment on our blog last year.

I don't know if you've heard of the Southport GP using a LC diet with his patients check him out

http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/SpringboardWebApp/userfiles/espdi/file/March%202014/PP%20Unwin%20final%20proofs%20revised.pdf

Cheers
    Graham
    clearviews
    clearviews

Post by clearviews Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:48

I missed this thread and introduced myself on another one. I am back too. Lots of names I know and remember. So good to see you all again and to meet some new ones!!!
    Just a little boasting…. I am off to a presentation in Sydney next Monday put on by Low Carb Down Under and Uni of Sydney titled "The Science of Low Carb Nutrition".
    Speakers include Dr Steve Phinney (Phinney and Volek), Sarah Wilson (Quit Sugar/Quit Sugar for Life), Pete Evans (chef and paleo ambassador).
    Looking forward to the gathering of positive people.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Aug 26 2014, 16:47

clearviews wrote:I missed this thread and introduced myself on another one.  I am back too.  Lots of names I know and remember.  So good to see you all again and to meet some new ones!!!
    Just a little boasting….  I am off to a presentation in Sydney next Monday put on by Low Carb Down Under and Uni of Sydney titled "The Science of Low Carb Nutrition".
    Speakers include Dr Steve Phinney (Phinney and Volek), Sarah Wilson (Quit Sugar/Quit Sugar for Life), Pete Evans (chef and paleo ambassador).  

Sounds excellent   Smile

Can't wait to hear more about it - do please let us know.

All the best Jan
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Male Posts : 209

Post by Dillinger Tue Aug 26 2014, 18:31

fergus wrote:Hello fellow scurvy sufferers!

Hello Fergus! Good to hear from you. I trust you've dropped all that low-carb nonsense and are enjoying the whole grains...

affraid

Best

Dillinger
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Wed Aug 27 2014, 02:54

clearviews wrote:I missed this thread and introduced myself on another one.  I am back too.  Lots of names I know and remember.  So good to see you all again and to meet some new ones!!!
    Just a little boasting….  I am off to a presentation in Sydney next Monday put on by Low Carb Down Under and Uni of Sydney titled "The Science of Low Carb Nutrition".
    I'm so jealous and wishing I still lived in Sydney Evil or Very Mad
    Bode
    Bode

Female Posts : 21

Post by Bode Wed Aug 27 2014, 13:10

Hi everyone!

I am really a lurker at heart but I thought I would introduce myself since this is such a friendly and cozy little corner of the 'net. I was diagnosed Type 2 about 3 years ago in the US and have since moved to England. I have a long history of dieting even before the diagnosis and had done South Beach back when it was new. I didn't try Atkins because as everyone knows - it will kill you Shocked

After being diagnosed (in which the doctor told me I had "a little bit of diabetes" - what does that even mean??) and going through the stages of grief, I have finally settled into LCHF. I definitely do best when I stay at keto levels and try to stick to 30-40g carbs a day and at least 70% of calories from fat. I do take metformin still - even more now than previously because my DN insisted but I could probably just be diet controlled and it would be fine. I am however terrible right now at sticking to my diet and so making myself read forums everyday to remind myself why it is important.

I work night shifts and for the NHS. I buy my own strips because I don't even want to fight about it with the HCPs. I also don't want to be limited to however many I could manage to get from them - just not worth the stress to me.

My biggest challenge is staying "good." When I am being good - I eat right AND I test to see those lovely numbers. I take all my medicines and supplements. When I stray - I get terrible and eat all the wrong things and then don't test because I don't want to see a bad number. I also get tired and forget to take the pills. There is no middle ground for me and that's just naughty!

I really like reading about the science of nutrition and diabetes. I think it is probably one of the hardest things to study academically just because of all the variables and the fact that we don't seem to understand the endocrine system very well yet. And it is of course hard to get neutral funding for the studies. I also enjoy reading n=1 experiments because even though we are all different, we can all learn from each other too.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Aug 27 2014, 13:22

Hi and welcome Bode ...... good to see you here.  Smile

Look forward to getting to know you better and reading your thoughts and ideas on other posts.

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Wed Aug 27 2014, 13:24

Welcome to the forum Bode. "A little bit of diabetes" Lol ! Shouldn't laugh but it's comical ! Good luck and I think we all fall off the wagon occasionally !
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Wed Aug 27 2014, 13:39

Hi Bode, welcome Smile
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Wed Aug 27 2014, 21:42

Welcome Bode and great introduction BTW! Smile
    Glad you've found us over here and look forward to your posts! Smile

Best wishes

Paul
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Female Posts : 156

Post by Mrs Vimes Wed Aug 27 2014, 21:44

Hi Bode, I guess your doctor would tell an expectant mother that she was a little bit pregnant.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Wed Aug 27 2014, 21:54

hi, welcome Smile
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Wed Aug 27 2014, 22:15

Mrs Vimes wrote:Hi Bode, I guess your doctor would tell an expectant mother that she was a little bit pregnant.

Love that explanation, we are or we are not a diabetic. And once a diabetic always a diabetic. That being said, we can control diabetes and live a long and active life. I refuse to believe this disease is always progressive. Dr Richard Bernstein has been a diabetic for over 60 years and still working at 80 years of age. Did he get lucky ? no way. He has worked hard for his 'so called luck' find out what works for you and stick with it.

Kind regards Eddie
    Bode
    Bode

Female Posts : 21

Post by Bode Fri Aug 29 2014, 17:20

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Yeah that Doc was a trip and a half. It didn't help that I had zero idea I had diabetes, had none of the usual symptoms and no family history. I was there to get my blood pressure looked at! Looking back, at least he was sort of positive and not mean about it. He refused to believe me when I said that I didn't drink regular coke though - I guess in his mind it is sugary drinks that are the direct cause of Type 2.

My dietician however was a nightmare. It was two weeks into diagnosis.. I couldn't get my meter to work (turned out it was broken). I was absolutely terrified of all of it and that I would end up on insulin. I have a needle phobia and all I could see was needles coming at me. I wanted her to reassure me that I had years and years to go before it would be necessary to use insulin. Or at least admit that it was possible that I might have awhile. But noooooo - she wanted me more scared and afraid and told me at least 100 times in 30 minutes that this is a progressive disease and I might as well face the fact that I would be shooting up within months and probably dead soon after. I still wish I could punch her. Maybe some people need the fear approach but I really needed a bit of nurturing.

My doctors here in England have all just said "what meds do you want/were you taking?" and then just prescribed them. The DN did not ask about my diet but I mentioned I low carbed as I wanted to ask her about supplements and she just said eating less carbs helped with blood sugar.

I do have a question. I haven't seen it here but I see it on the other forum. Why do people talk about BMs?? what do they think those letters stand for? I could see BS or BG but I don't get the M. I am used to BM being used for something else *entirely* and it makes me laugh or blush every time I see it!
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Fri Aug 29 2014, 17:26

HaHaHa!! I don't use it either for the same reasons as you but 'BM' actually stands for Boehringer Mannheim test, a blood test performed using a Glucose meter! Smile

Don't you just love acronyms eh! LOL
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Fri Aug 29 2014, 17:28

Cheers WikiPaul ! I never knew that either !

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 04:40