THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+9
Paul1976
graham64
chris c
Mrs Vimes
Eddie
mo1905
Sally
zand
Pasha
13 posters

What was your fasting blood glucose this morning.

chris c
    chris c

What was your fasting blood glucose this morning. - Page 2 Empty Re: What was your fasting blood glucose this morning.

Post by chris c Mon Aug 24 2015, 10:42

How hydrated were you? Some of my blood test values were a bit off but we decided they probably indicated mild dehydration, this might explain my slightly high fasting BG, and might be part of the reason for yours. May be worth drinking a glass or two of water before testing?
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

What was your fasting blood glucose this morning. - Page 2 Empty Re: What was your fasting blood glucose this morning.

Post by zand Mon Aug 24 2015, 10:55

Yes that's a very good point Chris. I don't always drink as much as I should. Thanks Smile
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Mon Aug 24 2015, 22:34

I've not been doing fasting tests of late but will do a few next week and post then.

Bit worried though won't I get sore fingers and depressed  Shocked
    Pasha

Male Posts : 68

Post by Pasha Tue Aug 25 2015, 03:47

76 mg/dl or 4.22 mmoles/l Acetone via Ketonix 85% with 7 red winks.A good start to the new day.
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Female Posts : 156

Post by Mrs Vimes Tue Aug 25 2015, 05:25

4.3 this morning. Much better night for alarms. Morning!
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Aug 25 2015, 19:42

That's the way to do it!
    Pasha

Post by Pasha Wed Aug 26 2015, 04:22

Good morning/moaning.

73 mg/dl or 4.05 mmoles/l Ketonix 82% with 6 red winks.
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Post by Mrs Vimes Wed Aug 26 2015, 05:19

Yuck, 3.8 this morning. Up all night again with cgm alarms. Have been eating at Ma-in laws the past week. Preparing meals for her as she has broken her arm!
    She was doing housework so you see that is my reasoning for rarely doing it. It is dangerous.
    I'm eating an hour to two hours later than normal by the time partner gets home, showered and ready.
    It is having an affect when I get my protein spike so I'm correcting after I've gone to bed, then I'm rage bolusing and then my basal rates don't match up..... ( but my spike was 7.8 - low carb cos I cooked yaaaay)

Omg I've put 4 sweeteners in my coffee instead of 2....knackered and I've got spin class at 6.45.

It's going to be Greek salad tonight. Not much to bolus for. Partner off work tomorrow so will be eating before 6. Then Ma-in law of to sister-in laws for a fortnight on Monday so my twice a day visits with food and dog walking and eating late will stop.
    Not complaining but I find routine makes things easier to deal with.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Wed Aug 26 2015, 14:39

I like your dangerous housework theory !
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Post by Mrs Vimes Wed Aug 26 2015, 14:57

Didn't get to bleeding spin class because my dp decided to be late so below 5 don't drive. Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!
    Got there after lucozade and oat biscuit made driving safe then like a no-mates went on one of the lone spin bikes in gym, headphones on and Toure de Franced it by myself!

Remember everyone - dusting is only for the hardcore!
    nomistheman
    nomistheman

Post by nomistheman Wed Aug 26 2015, 17:25

Not been doing too great recently with my morning Fasting Readings.
    More than likely stress related - stress caused my diabetes. Sad
    I'm out of Ketone test strips too! Sad

This morning I was 7.3 mmol / L
    Before bed I was 5.1 mmol / L
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Wed Aug 26 2015, 17:34

Do people test for ketones on a regular basis ? I think I've only ever checked once ! Is it to check you are in ketosis is is there another reason ?
    nomistheman
    nomistheman

Post by nomistheman Wed Aug 26 2015, 17:44

mo1905 wrote:Do people test for ketones on a regular basis ? I think I've only ever checked once ! Is it to check you are in ketosis is is there another reason ?

I'm testing to see if I'm in nutritional ketosis.

Not to be (although often is) confused with ketoacidosis which is when ketones and blood glucose are both very high and dangerous. My good friend @Pasha highlighted somewhere else (I forget where that was ...) that high ketones and low blood glucose is only dangerous in the absence of insulin. I hope I got that right - must get back in the books by Phinney and Volek.

Last edited by nomistheman on Wed Aug 26 2015, 18:16; edited 1 time in total
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Wed Aug 26 2015, 18:03

mo1905 wrote:Do people test for ketones on a regular basis ? I think I've only ever checked once ! Is it to check you are in ketosis is is there another reason ?

I test for dietary ketones about once a week now using Bayer Ketostix(Can't afford to test for blood ketones) just out of curiosity and tend to register around ++ most of the time but when I'm sick with an infection I test much more frequently when my BG's are over 14 mmol consistently and try and reduce them through re-hydration so I don't run the risk of ketoacidosis.
    Pasha

Post by Pasha Thu Aug 27 2015, 03:55

77 mg/dl or 4.28 mmoles/l . Have a meeting with "chatty" this morning, AKA as my silent type cardiolog, re discussion of my latest echocardiogram. Que Sera, Sera

Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Post by Mrs Vimes Thu Aug 27 2015, 06:35

4.8 this morning. Missing the gym. Going old school and basal rate testing today. I feel things have got way to complicated so taking it back and trying to simplify it ready for work next week.
    Going to try to do it by fasting. Of course if I drop too low will correct.

Good luck today Pasha.
    nomistheman
    nomistheman

Post by nomistheman Thu Aug 27 2015, 07:36

This morning Blood Glucose was 6.9 mmol / L
    It was 4.6 mmol / L at bed time.

That's still high for me but, better than yesterday.
    Have bought some blood ketone strips for my meter - just waiting for them to be delivered. They should arrive after the weekend?
    merrylizard1314
    merrylizard1314

Female Posts : 90

Post by merrylizard1314 Thu Aug 27 2015, 08:11

4.3 mmmol/L at 6.15 this morning Ketones 1.8
    Good Luck @Pasha, I had an echocardiogram a few weeks ago, but don't get to discuss it until October! I find that cardiologists seem to be shy, retiring creatures, hard to see, at times.
    BTW, is anyone involved with the webinar today - an interview with Dr Jason Fung?
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Thu Aug 27 2015, 08:17

merrylizard1314 wrote:4.3 mmmol/L at 6.15 this morning   Ketones 1.8
    Good Luck @Pasha, I had an echocardiogram  a few weeks ago, but don't get to discuss it until October!  I find that cardiologists  seem to be shy, retiring creatures, hard to see, at times.
    BTW, is anyone involved with the webinar today - an interview with Dr Jason Fung?
    I've signed up for the webinar, but it will be tomorrow my time. I usually wait for the replays rather than listening live.
    Pasha

Post by Pasha Fri Aug 28 2015, 04:00

Thanks for your kind words to Mrs Vimes, normistheman and merrylizard .

My meeting with chatty is now behind me, we agreed to meet again for another echocardiogram in 9 months time, or earlier if I feel unwell. Seems that I have some problems with valves now.

FBG this morning was 73 mg/dl or 4.05 mmoles/l, not bad considering that I ate out yesterday.
    nomistheman
    nomistheman

Post by nomistheman Fri Aug 28 2015, 08:11

This morning my fasting Blood Glucose was 7.2 mmol / L
    Before bed it was 7.0 mmol / L

Still waiting for my ketone strips for my meter. Sad

@Pasha I do hope it's not serious these problems with your valves. Is there anything you can do differently to help them?

Take good care my friend.
    Pasha

Post by Pasha Fri Aug 28 2015, 09:26

nomistheman wrote:This morning my fasting Blood Glucose was 7.2 mmol / L

@Pasha I do hope it's not serious these problems with your valves. Is there anything you can do differently to help them?

Probably get them repaired ,or even some new ones.

In the meantime I also am waiting for 100 ketone strips [ 100 $ Au ], luckily for me. New prices are 60 strips for 100$ Au.
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Post by Mrs Vimes Fri Aug 28 2015, 10:53

Did basal checks yesterday went to bed on bloods of 6.7. Woke up 6.9. Not ideal but basal rates did what they should. Ketones 1.1. Cool - in ketosis after fasting yesterday. I did have to have sugar tablet worth 4g of carbs in the morning and 11g from oat biscuit and another sugar tablet before bed. I'm not brave enough to go to bed on 4.4.

Sorry to hear about your valves Pasha. Hope you are alright.
    nomistheman
    nomistheman

Post by nomistheman Fri Aug 28 2015, 17:55

Pasha wrote:
    nomistheman wrote:This morning my fasting Blood Glucose was 7.2 mmol / L

Probably get them repaired ,or even some new ones.

Ooh, you make it sound like an engine rebuild! will they need lapping in?!

Pasha wrote:In the meantime I also am waiting for 100 ketone strips [ 100 $ Au ], luckily for me. New prices are 60 strips for 100$ Au.
    That's a good deal - mucho jealouso me o!

I purchased some from Oz a while ago but, got stung for 20% VAT and the Post Office charged me an exorbitant amount for the priviledge of having them collect it - not that I had any bloody choice! Grrr! Rolling Eyes banghead

I try to buy them in the UK for roughly £1 (GBP) per strip or a tenner a box.
    Apparently, some of mine have arrived and are ready for me to collect at Argos. Will bob along there later and collect.
    Pasha

Post by Pasha Sat Aug 29 2015, 03:46

76 mg/dl or 4.22 mmoles/l.       Ketonix 84% with 6 red winks.

Once the Ketone strips arrive I can do the BG:ketone  ratio test as an indirect measurement for insulin.

In the meantime the Ketonix is a very good semi-quantitave indicator of ketones and of course way cheaper than those infamous ketone strips. Here also the customs can inspect the package and slap on a surcharge, but I take my chances. If I purchase locally the cost is 25 pounds sterling for a pkt of 10.

Re the valve situation, I just think how very lucky I am that the science and technology exists to deal. at least in part. with the situation.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 20:57