THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

Nursing in Practice: Self monitoring of blood glucose levels

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Nursing in Practice: Self monitoring of blood glucose levels Empty Nursing in Practice: Self monitoring of blood glucose levels

Post by graham64 Wed May 20 2015, 21:46

Conclusion

Many nurses will be bound by local guidance restricting blood glucose monitoring for patients with type 2 diabetes not on insulin therapy. However there is now a growing body of robust evidence that suggests if included as a component of self-management education in people with type 2 diabetes then it can be cost effective and improve quality of life. Diabetes UK is very clear in its position statements on this topic that there should be no postcode lottery and that every individual should be assessed and supported to perform SMBG if appropriate. (15,16,17) The actual procedure has become easier over the last few years. Utilising SMBG into existing self-management strategies is the challenge for both nurses and patients working together to improve diabetes self-management.

http://www.nursinginpractice.com/article/self-monitoring-blood-glucose-levels?

I've only posted the conclusion check out the full post and the references, it would seem some of the nursing profession are pro testing for T2
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Nursing in Practice: Self monitoring of blood glucose levels Empty Re: Nursing in Practice: Self monitoring of blood glucose levels

Post by Jan1 Fri May 22 2015, 19:34

Don't know what other readers may be thinking BUT I thought the link and article from 'Nursing In Practice' was an excellent one, and an interesting read.

It is unfair to have post code lottery's as to who can readily get test strips whilst others can't... and surely if you are a diabetic Type 1 or 2 your blood sugar numbers if you want to get and keep safe control is a necessity?

Just my thoughts .... would you agree I wonder?

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Nursing in Practice: Self monitoring of blood glucose levels Empty Re: Nursing in Practice: Self monitoring of blood glucose levels

Post by graham64 Fri May 22 2015, 22:03

Jan1 wrote:Don't know what other readers may be thinking BUT I thought the link and article from 'Nursing In Practice' was an excellent one, and an interesting read.

It is unfair to have post code lottery's as to who can readily get test strips whilst others can't... and surely if you are a diabetic Type 1 or 2 your blood sugar numbers if you want to get and keep safe control is a necessity?

Just my thoughts .... would you agree I wonder?

All the best Jan

I agree Jan, I've been fortunate to have strips prescribed and they were invaluable in learning how to take control of my blood sugars. If the newly diagnosed diabetics were given the right education in SMBG they could save the NHS money in the long run but I'm afraid due to financial restraints the odds on getting a test kit and strips prescribed are going to get even longer.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sat May 23 2015, 14:27

I don't know if all members here are fortunate in being able to get test strips - but surely they are, or should be, an important part of any diabetics prescription ...

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 00:01