THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+5
Avocado Sevenfold
zand
Andy12345
Paul1976
Jan1
9 posters

Pancake Day - How To Make Some Low Carb Ones

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Pancake Day - How To Make Some Low Carb Ones Empty Pancake Day - How To Make Some Low Carb Ones

Post by Jan1 Mon Feb 16 2015, 16:32

Pancake Day - How To Make Some Low Carb Ones Copy+of+Crepe

These crepes/pancakes are virtually carb. free and are very easy to make - although you use ricotta cheese they do not taste of cheese.

Ingredients.

200 Grams of ricotta cheese
    3 eggs
    I teaspoon of cinnamon
    A splash of milk

Method

Mix the cheese, eggs and cinnamon into a small mixing bowl. Add a splash of milk if the mix is too thick to run freely. Place a small knob of butter into a frying pan, I use a small omelette pan 8". Heat the butter and spoon in 3 table spoons of mix. Fry until firm then turn over and cook for one minute or until the crepe is starting to brown. This mix makes between 6 and 8 crepes/pancakes. Allow to cool and fill with cream cheese and finely chopped spring onions or smoked salmon and asparagus tips, whatever you like. Roll up the crepe and enjoy. Great at any time and very good for the lunch box or picnics. Also great warmed up with some low carb berries and double cream.

Or why not serve with a slice of lemon - gently squeezed over the crepes.

Enjoy your pancake day Tuesday 17th February 2015.

...... and if you have any pancake ideas please share them, thanks.

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Pancake Day - How To Make Some Low Carb Ones Empty Re: Pancake Day - How To Make Some Low Carb Ones

Post by Paul1976 Mon Feb 16 2015, 16:51

Jinx! Very Happy I was just about to post about pancake day too! Very Happy Tommorow I'm making these-not tried 'em before but they get a good review plus I've got the ingredients already in luckily... Wink

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breakfast1/r/lowcarbpancakes.htm

The ones you've posted above look great Jan. Smile
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Pancake Day - How To Make Some Low Carb Ones Empty Re: Pancake Day - How To Make Some Low Carb Ones

Post by Andy12345 Mon Feb 16 2015, 18:39

Awesome thankyou Smile
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Mon Feb 16 2015, 18:42

Yay! Even I might try to make those! Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Feb 17 2015, 12:42

Paul wrote:Jinx! Very Happy I was just about to post about pancake day too! Very Happy Tommorow I'm making these-not tried 'em before but they get a good review plus I've got the ingredients already in luckily... Wink

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breakfast1/r/lowcarbpancakes.htm

The ones you've posted above look great Jan. Smile

Happy Pancake Day to ALL sunny

Hey Paul do please let us know how yours turned out ..... do all the family take turns to toss Question

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Wed Feb 18 2015, 12:08

Hi Jan!

I made the the almond meal ones and they were OK but I think I'd need to tweak the recipe next time and only use 1 egg instead of 2 and substitute with milk as mine turned out a bit too eggy and with the lemon juice it was a bit like a lemony omelette! Shocked Although they looked just like real pancakes and held together reasonably. Wink
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Feb 19 2015, 18:59

Paul wrote:Hi Jan!

I made the the almond meal ones and they were OK but I think I'd need to tweak the recipe next time and only use 1 egg instead of 2 and substitute with milk as mine turned out a bit too eggy and with the lemon juice it was a bit like a lemony omelette! Shocked Although they looked just like real pancakes and held together reasonably. Wink

Thanks for letting us know Paul - I hope all the family enjoyed them Smile

Did everyone have a great pancake day  -  honestly the way the week zooms by, can't believe it's Friday tomorrow.

All the best Jan
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sat Feb 21 2015, 08:54

I tried a savoury version of the recipe in the OP but used mascarpone. The pancakes were a bit unwieldy and looked like a dog's dinner. Tasted ok though - hid them under ratatouille and grated cheese for an edible meal. Added a bit of psyllium husk powder to the leftover batter and it firmed up nicely. Will try that next time.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sat Feb 21 2015, 10:53

You people make me puke, Jan told you how to make them and you guys ponse about playing scientists. By the way the recipe works great and they don't taste of cheese. Suitable for vegetarians I think, but who knows with that lot ! Laughing
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sat Feb 21 2015, 12:17

LOL Don't blame me! Blame stupid Tesco for not having any ricotta.

Saying that, it cracks me up on food blogs when I see folk asking silly questions about exchanging ingredients. Daftest one I saw was on an egg fast post where someone asked what they could substitute as they didn't like eggs facepalm
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sat Feb 21 2015, 12:24

eddie1 wrote:You people make me puke, Jan told you how to make them and you guys ponse about playing scientists. By the way the recipe works great and they don't taste of cheese. Suitable for vegetarians I think, but who knows with that lot ! Laughing

LOL!! In hindsight I wish I'd made the Ricotta ones Jan posted up now-I seem to be cursed with Almond flour baking! Cool
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sat Feb 21 2015, 12:27

Avocado Sevenfold wrote: it cracks me up on food blogs when I see folk asking silly questions about exchanging ingredients.  Daftest one I saw was on an egg fast post where someone asked what they could substitute as they didn't like eggs facepalm

I used to know a guy like that on another diabetes forum-Jeez he had me pulling my hair out sometimes with the dopey questions he used to ask about food and recipes! affraid
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Feb 21 2015, 12:31

eddie1 wrote:You people make me puke, Jan told you how to make them and you guys ponse about playing scientists. By the way the recipe works great and they don't taste of cheese. Suitable for vegetarians I think, but who knows with that lot ! Laughing

lol!
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Feb 21 2015, 12:34

i couldn't get any ricotta either Sad I'm not sure what it was supposed to look like tbh, is it soft cheese? although my attempt was 10 minutes before i made the pancakes at 6pm on pancake day, maybe better planning was called for, but i am male so allowances need to be made

on the upside, i got the best slow motion video of me flipping a pancake high and catching it, my little also was flipping them very happily lol made me feel like my dad (which is a nice thing)
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Feb 21 2015, 13:31

Ricotta is a creamy white, mild, fresh cheese with a soft texture and a slightly sweet flavor. It has five times more calcium than the cottage cheese it closely resembles.  

I usually buy mine from Sainsbury in a 250g size Pancake Day - How To Make Some Low Carb Ones 0000001304916_L

Anyway I love your sentence here Andy "on the upside, i got the best slow motion video of me flipping a pancake high and catching it, my little also was flipping them very happily lol made me feel like my dad (which is a nice thing)"

Special times make special memories flower

All the best Jan
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Female Posts : 156

Post by Mrs Vimes Sat Feb 21 2015, 17:17

Had these this morning with salmon and a poached egg. (Green salad on the side). Lovely thank you!

Having the crock pot chicken chilli on Monday.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Feb 21 2015, 17:34

Thanks Mrs. Vimes here is the crock pot chicken recipe.

Pancake Day - How To Make Some Low Carb Ones Crock-pot-chicken-chili-680x680

As a lover of Cauliflower this great tasting meal caught my eye, so thanks to Lisa for this Crock Pot recipe idea - her blog is linked below.

INGREDIENTS
    Serves 6

Chili:

½ head of cauliflower, diced
    1 onion, diced
    1 red bell pepper, diced
    1 poblano pepper, diced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 28-ounce can organic tomato puree
    ½ cup chicken stock
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    ¼ - ½ teaspoon chipotle chile flakes, to taste
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in large chunks

Toppings:

1 avocado
    1 lime
    fresh cilantro

INSTRUCTIONS

Add all chili ingredients to crock pot and stir to combine.
    Cook on low for 8 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings.
    Cube avocado, cut lime into wedges and chop fresh cilantro.
    Serve chili topped with avocado, a squeeze of lime juice, and cilantro to taste.

Original recipe idea can be found here http://cookeatpaleo.com/crock-pot-cauliflower-chicken-chili/

Bon Appetit

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Feb 04 2016, 18:32

If any of you are looking for a low carb pancake ... look no further!

When is Pancake Day 2016?

Pancake Day has been celebrated by Britons for centuries.  Known also as Shrove Tuesday, its exact date, rather confusingly, changes every year, because it is determined by when Easter falls. But it is always the day preceding Ash Wednesday (the first day of Lent), and always falls in February or March. This year, you'll need to get your pans ready for Tuesday, February 9th.

These crepes/pancakes are virtually carb. free and are very easy to make - although you use ricotta cheese they do not taste of cheese.

Ingredients.

3 eggs
    I teaspoon of cinnamon
    A splash of milk

Method

Mix the cheese, eggs and cinnamon into a small mixing bowl. Add a splash of milk if the mix is too thick to run freely. Place a small knob of butter into a frying pan, I use a small omelette pan 8". Heat the butter and spoon in 3 table spoons of mix. Fry until firm then turn over and cook for one minute or until the crepe is starting to brown. This mix makes between 6 and 8 crepes/pancakes. Allow to cool and fill with cream cheese and finely chopped spring onions or smoked salmon and asparagus tips, whatever you like. Roll up the crepe and enjoy. Great at any time and very good for the lunch box or picnics. Also great warmed up with some low carb berries and double cream.

Enjoy your pancake day Tuesday 9th February 2016.

All the best Jan

flower
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Feb 09 2016, 14:06

In case you've forgotten !

It's Pancake Day today !

Have you got all the necessary ingredients ?

There's a very nice low carb recipe in the above post  Smile

Happy Tuesday

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Tue Feb 09 2016, 14:08

Jan1 wrote:In case you've forgotten !

It's Pancake Day today !

Have you got all the necessary ingredients ?

There's a very nice low carb recipe in the above post  Smile

Happy Tuesday

All the best Jan

Yep! Got all the ingredients for the ones above! They look great! Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Feb 23 2017, 18:58

Jan1 wrote:

Ingredients.

3 eggs
    I teaspoon of cinnamon
    A splash of milk

Method

Enjoy your pancake day Tuesday 17th February 2015.

All the best Jan

Fast Forward to 2017-
    Did you know it's pancake day next Tuesday 28th February.

If you are looking for a good low carb pancake recipe, may I suggest this one Smile

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sat Feb 25 2017, 23:29

DUK have a diabetes friendly Rolling Eyes  pancake recipe 

https://www.diabetes.org.uk

getmecoat
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Feb 26 2017, 18:53

graham64 wrote:DUK have a diabetes friendly Rolling Eyes  pancake recipe 

https://www.diabetes.org.uk

getmecoat

19.5g Carb affraid affraid

They've got to be kidding - haven't they Evil or Very Mad

Honestly folks the low carb crepes/pancakes a couple of posts up are great, and although made with ricotta cheese you don't taste the cheese.

Make sure you get your ingredients on time Smile

What topping will you have - we like low carb fruits with ours

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Feb 26 2017, 22:40

Diabetic drugs sprinkled on with the sugar. (Theirs not yours)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 15:31