THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+5
cold ethyl
Andy12345
mo1905
Avocado Sevenfold
Jan1
9 posters

Did You Find Going Low Carb Difficult?

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Did You Find Going Low Carb Difficult? Empty Did You Find Going Low Carb Difficult?

Post by Jan1 Wed Oct 15 2014, 23:38

As most of you are aware I am not diabetic but I do choose to live the LCHF lifestyle it just makes sense to me.

When you are diabetic, sorry to make the obvious statement here, thought has to be given to blood sugar levels but these levels can also effect those that are not diabetic. In my opinion eating too much sugar, starch, processed foods don't do any of us any favours. Dementia/Alzheimers runs in my family and it is often referred to as Diabetes 3 ....by improving my diet over the last six years or so may help me in later life. It's certainly helping me now health wise, energy level wise - it' a lifestyle change I would recommend. Each individual should of course take heed of any other underlying health issues they may have.

But my question was "Did You Find Going Low Carb Difficult?"

The answer has to be no I didn't. Shopping did use to take a little longer because in the early days I was looking extra carefully at anything labelled that I may buy to check carb levels, but as most of what I buy is fresh that is not a problem. I look out for bargains that may take a little longer but I'd rather take an extra few minutes to do what I can to ensure better health.

All the best Jan
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Did You Find Going Low Carb Difficult? Empty Re: Did You Find Going Low Carb Difficult?

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Thu Oct 16 2014, 09:14

I didn't find going low carb difficult at all. My eyesight had gone blurry very quickly when I suspected I might have diabetes. Fear is a great motivator! No carb withdrawal either, or if I did have symptoms, they were masked by the fear of losing my sight. Now I love low carbing as the food is great so it is no hardship to eat this way Very Happy
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Did You Find Going Low Carb Difficult? Empty Re: Did You Find Going Low Carb Difficult?

Post by mo1905 Thu Oct 16 2014, 10:26

I'll be honest and say I did find it difficult to begin with but that was mainly down to ignorance and DSN telling me to "eat normally". Many years or bread, chips, pizza, takeaways etc along with being brainwashed into believing fat will clog your arteries and cause heart attacks didn't help.
    Even now, I probably eat a few more carbs than many here but I am certainly lowish carbs along with increased, good fats. My BG levels prove to me this works. I never hypo and I very rarely go high. My HbA1C is excellent and no complications.
    To me now, LCHF is a no brainer and it baffles me why the NHS is so slow to promote this.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Thu Oct 16 2014, 10:39

yes i found it hard and still do, its a pain in the arse not being able to eat on the road very easily, its inconvenient, cooking is fun but only when you want to, the rest of the time its just a slog to stand and do it, i loved and miss loads carboy foods, like bread, generally i wished i didn't have to, yes there are benefits, I've never eaten as well, had loads food experiences i wouldn't have had and feel great, i wished i could mix low/high carb lives and pick the best bits

but none of that matters, low carbing for me is a hell of a lot easier that not being able to walk, or watch my kids grow up, so i love! low carbing, i agree Mo, it makes no sense to me why it isn't prescribed by the nhs as a good way to live, its hard not to buy into Eddies conspiracy theories about money
    cold ethyl

Post by cold ethyl Thu Oct 16 2014, 12:27

A mixture of easy and hard here. It's hard not to be able to grab a takeaway when you're feeling knackered or a sandwich when you are out and meals do take more planning I find when no one else eats low carb in family. That said, I don't really miss pasta or rice much , and occasionally manage a few homemade wedges to satisfy the potato lover in me. One day I'll even have a baked spud and be blowed. Bread I'll always miss as it was my downfall but given I have gluten intolerance and my life no it was a round of stomach misery, there's more than one motivating factor against giving into the urges. The upside is my BG levels are looking way better, my BP appears to have come down and I've lost over 3st since May.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Thu Oct 16 2014, 12:34

I have found low carbing a complete doddle and am into my seventh year. How could any straight thinking person say a meat or fish and five veg meal was boring or could lead to health complications. No, lowcarbing no trouble at all, spreading the good word, now that's a whole new ball game. So many have been sold the junk food cover with meds dogma hook line and sinker, including most of the medical profession. Understandable when you consider tens of $billions are spent every year promoting junk food and very often junk meds.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Thu Oct 16 2014, 13:08

The hardest part for me is being the cook in the house-I have to sometimes cook separate meals as the wife and kids do have carby meals sometimes like pasta bakes or toad in the hole etc which can be time consuming and the only other thing I found hard was just going properly low carb in the first place as the Anti's did one HELL of a good job of pushing carbs and putting me off taking the 'Leap of faith'...It was when I saw that the 'Low carb success stories' FAR outweighed the 'Non low carb success stories' that it dawned on me that this was the way forward and I haven't looked back since.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Oct 16 2014, 21:51

Finding a friendly and helpful group of knowledgeable LowCarbers on the other place made the transition to LC  relatively easy, just like Paul's experience the antis were were doing their best to push the carbs when I joined over six years ago. The scare stories put about claiming due to our diet lacking in carbs we would be lacking in essential nutrients, this in turn would put us at risk from constipation, osteoporosis, scurvy, deteriorating kidney function and low serotonin levels etc. I'm so glad after all this time I ignored them and proving they were just as they are today talking a load of unsubstantiated bullshit Evil or Very Mad .
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Thu Oct 16 2014, 22:09

graham64 wrote:Finding a friendly and helpful group of knowledgeable LowCarbers on the other place made the transition to LC  relatively easy, just like Paul's experience the antis were doing their best to push the carbs when I joined over six years ago. The scare stories put about claiming due to our diet lacking in carbs we would be lacking in essential nutrients, this in turn would put us at risk from constipation, osteoporosis, scurvy, deteriorating kidney function and low serotonin levels etc. I'm so glad after all this time I ignored them and proving they were just as they are today talking a load of unsubstantiated bullshit Evil or Very Mad .

Yes Graham and some of us relative newbies to LC are really glad you did too! Thanks Smile
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Oct 16 2014, 22:30

Yes Graham and some of us relative newbies to LC are really glad you did too! Thanks Did You Find Going Low Carb Difficult? Icon_smile

What was the alternative, I had no real choice my meter, blood test results and lack of any side effects was all the evidence I needed.

Cheers
    Graham

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 11:41