THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Can't find time for cooking atm

Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Male Posts : 98

Can't find time for cooking atm Empty Can't find time for cooking atm

Post by Wobblycogs Tue Aug 15 2017, 12:19

Over the last few days I have been eating on the go, more or less, having been busy with a flea infestation. Anyone who has suffered this knows how difficult it really is to eradicate these evil, 'serve-no-purpose' blighters. At my age, and with my mobility problems has made it even worse! But sorry, couldn't afford professional help. It's a real 'scratch'-off...

Suffice to say I am bushed and I don't know how our predecessors managed before the days of the vacuum cleaner!

I am almost there now, and I haven't had any fresh bites for three days, but even so, I am waiting for some more 'smoke-bomb' foggers to arrive, for a last going over.

The point is, I have been living on fast-fix food; bacon and eggs for breakfast, and little trips to the takeaway for kebab meat with lots of salad for evening meal. (Ordinary salads also of course, although I am not really a fan of cold meats.) I don't notice any problems with blood sugar or weight and I am still losing. No tummy upsets either.

What do others think about the typical elephant's leg donner (spelling) meat?  One assumes it's probably scrap-ends of lamb, but the fact is, it hasn't done me any harm, and it tastes delicious of course. It certainly didn't do the fleas too much harm, via my blood! affraid

I am not going to go mad on this treat, but I wonder what fellow forumites think for an occasional 'junk-food' treat/fix. It sure tastes good for junk!  clap  clap  clap

Cheers

Wobbly (John)

I rather think that folk who grimace when they think of this dish just can't put aside the fact of origins, rather then shudder in the belief it's plain evil.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Can't find time for cooking atm Empty Re: Can't find time for cooking atm

Post by Jan1 Tue Aug 15 2017, 19:03

Hi Wobbly (John)
    Sorry to hear about your flea infestation. I can remember a few years back a neighbour had trouble with this ... and it took quite a few visits from the 'pest man' or whatever he was called to sort it.

Hope you get your infestation sorted ok.

I was reading that there has been an invasion of super fleas this year, so maybe you are not alone with the scratches!

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/home-and-garden/an-invasion-of-super-fleas-is-set-to-hit-british-homes-in-the-coming-weeks/ar-AAq8Jlr?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp

With regard to kebab meat with lots of salad ... I like the sound of the salad Smile  
    You are also having a great start to your day with bacon and eggs ...

I think the important thing is to keep an eye on blood sugar readings, and any other adverse reactions ...

We do very, very occasionally have a 'fast food take-away' I suspect many may do ...
    It's like a Christmas Dinner and you suddenly may see a roast potato on your plate!

I'm not diabetic but I do realise that if there are any doubts about how a particular food affects blood sugars, test is best!

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Aug 15 2017, 22:57

Aaargh! Sympathies Sad

One place I lived, two cats were regular visitors, and other cats and the two dogs were occasional in my flat.

The problem came when I'd been on holiday and the animals were locked out for a week or two.

When I returned there was an immediate eruption of fleas from the carpet, all busy chomping on my ankles.

I used flea powder and liberal application of the vacuum cleaner, that sorted them eventually. Powdering the carpet, not so bad, but powdering the cats required heavy duty industrial gloves.

I would think kebabs must be one of the least offensive fast foods as long as you're careful what you have with the meat.
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs Wed Aug 16 2017, 17:23

Thanks folks.

I am not a fan of cold meat salads and that's where I have a small issue with low carb. I just can't get excited about a plateful of green leaves, cucumber and tomatoes. etc.; not even when I have a lovely fresh salmon chunk with it. I'd much prefer the salmon, with a sauce of some sort. (Although I never did like salmon and chips! Lol!)  Whenever I did have a 'salad', I usually had cold, waxy potatoes and mayo with it; or stuffed it between two slices of home-made bread. I can't do that now of course. so I settle for the donner! I just seem to find donner meat with the 'Greek' salad most palatable, but there are times when it's a bit too spicy for me. However, as I said, I don't exactly scoff on this food.

As for the fleas, my 'flea-trap' is gradually catching less fleas, so it seems the spray and the vacuum are having success.

(My flea trap, is a dish of water, with a squirt of bleach in it, placed under an angle-poise type lamp. The fleas jump up into the lamp-shade where they roost in the warmth, and then when they drop away, they fall into the water, with fatal consequences.  mrgreen

Regards

Wobbly John

thumb-up
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Aug 19 2017, 22:35

Some of my home-cooked "fast foods" - a slice of lamb's liver and a giant mushroom lightly fried in EVOO, some seasonal green veg (currently runner beans, or broccoli for a change) boiled briefly and about three slices of bacon under the grill. Takes about as long to cook as I took typing this, cheap and full of nutrition. I had it last week and enjoyed it so much I'm having more this week.

Salmon or other fish grilled briefly with boiled frozen spinach or frozen peas (or currently samphire). Toasted almonds (dry fried) optional.

A hunk of rump steak grilled until it's nearly stopped mooing, or lamb or pork chops which need a bit longer, with seasonal boiled green veggies.

A friend and his wife swear by their slow cooker. Chop a load of meat and vegetables, put them in and switch on in the morning. Come home in the evening and dinner is served!

Oh and nothing in the Rules says you can't have bacon and eggs again in the evening.

https://twitter.com/tednaiman/status/867636316338495488
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs Sun Aug 20 2017, 08:37

That sounds remarkably like my typical menu Chris. Loadsa meat; grilled, fried, roasted or boiled, with loadsa green veggies. Plenty of eggs, cheese and double cream. About the only cornflour I have is in my cheese sauce, when I make cauliflower cheese! Shame that I don't like liver, so what i have saved on losing bread and other starches, I spend on online, grass fed meat from Russell's butchers. Meat that tastes like it did when I was a lad! (I have no connection with the firm other than as a satisfied customer). freakout
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Aug 22 2017, 23:52

Ah a man after my own heart! Yes we have a local slaughterhouse/meat packer's who supplies most of the butchers and farm shops, and the meat comes from a bunch of local farms and is mostly old fashioned breeds, flavoursome and nutritious. Today I had sausages again, with broccoli so I don't get bored with the runner beans, more fiddly as they need turning to cook on all sides.

Next I have a giant vegetable marrow which I will probably cut into rings and casserole with my Bolognese-type sauce mix and cheddar grated over the top, takes longer and more work but I will probably do enough for at least two meals.

Can't find time for cooking atm Dcj7r510
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Aug 23 2017, 01:07

Another quick meal I just thought of, tinned cod's roe. (Hard roe). Wash off the slime, cut into slices and fry in EVOO or butter. Needs turning over halfway through but doesn't take long, goes well with spinach.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Wed Aug 23 2017, 18:01

Sardines are good too and contain some impressive nutrients

Can't find time for cooking atm Sardines

Can't find time for cooking atm Sardines+chart

Perhaps enjoy some on a slice of low carb bread!

More about sardines on this site
    http://whfoods.org/

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Aug 24 2017, 23:10

Close enough for jazz, I just polished off a kipper, with toasted almonds, spinach and a couple of thickly buttered oatcakes.

Can't remember when I last had sardines, I'll have to try some. Several local pubs do whitebait, which is battered and fried and I can manage with care.

Oh and I found a tin of mackerel in the cupboard, I used to boil some rice, toast some almonds and add the mackerel and fry the rice briefly in EVOO. Now I do it without the rice of course, basically doesn't need cooking, just warming up, and could be eaten cold with salad.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 09:12