THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+6
Jan1
Derek
Sharon
mo1905
Paul1976
Andy12345
10 posters

Have a Chat

Long birder

Have a Chat - Page 15 Empty Re: Have a Chat

Post by Long birder Wed Dec 27 2017, 22:16

graham64 wrote:
    Long birder wrote:
    chris c wrote:I have all the kit and cables, just need to plug it in. Oh wait, that means going under the desk. I don't think I want to go there, unless David Attenborough accompanies me.
    All you need to do with Chromecast, Chris, is plug the unit in a spare hdmi socket on your Tele and connect mains to the Chromecast three  pin plug and the rest is done via wifi!
    Derek

That's to much information for Eddie Derek  Shocked will make his head hurt  Laughing
    His head won't hurt too much Graham if his youngsters write him a Ladybird guide! SmileWink
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Thu Dec 28 2017, 19:33

Long birder wrote:
    graham64 wrote:
    Long birder wrote:
    chris c wrote:I have all the kit and cables, just need to plug it in. Oh wait, that means going under the desk. I don't think I want to go there, unless David Attenborough accompanies me.
    All you need to do with Chromecast, Chris, is plug the unit in a spare hdmi socket on your Tele and connect mains to the Chromecast three  pin plug and the rest is done via wifi!
    Derek

That's to much information for Eddie Derek  Shocked will make his head hurt  Laughing
    His head won't hurt too much Graham if his youngsters write him a Ladybird guide! SmileWink

Just spent a couple a days with some of our kids and grandchildren. One grandson is way ahead of me on computers, I love it when he says to me, let me show you how it works granddad, and he is 8 years of age. What ever happened to steam power I say. Seriously, these kids today are so bright. And some say we are doomed after Brexit, don't make me larf.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Dec 28 2017, 21:33

I used to be ahead of the curve, but then one of the computers I used filled an air conditioned room and probably had less power and capacity than my phone. We ran purchasing and stock control on a Commodore CBM - that was the upmarket version of the PET, with about a ten inch screen, 32k RAM and a whole megabyte of disks, two floppies in the days when floppies actually were floppy, and a dot matrix printer. The program was written in machine code and to modify anything we had to Get A Man In.

Now I'm trailing badly. I'm old fashioned enough to prefer hardwiring everything, I only use Wi-Fi for the phone and lappy, I need to add a switch to my router so I can connect the second computer alongside this one and the two printers and the fileserver and, well not the TV but the TV recorder. It'll mean punching more holes through my firewall along with the actual cabling. Does anyone have any circular tuits to spare?
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Dec 28 2017, 22:44

chris c wrote:I used to be ahead of the curve, but then one of the computers I used filled an air conditioned room and probably had less power and capacity than my phone. We ran purchasing and stock control on a Commodore CBM - that was the upmarket version of the PET, with about a ten inch screen, 32k RAM and a whole megabyte of disks, two floppies in the days when floppies actually were floppy, and a dot matrix printer. The program was written in machine code and to modify anything we had to Get A Man In.

Now I'm trailing badly. I'm old fashioned enough to prefer hardwiring everything, I only use Wi-Fi for the phone and lappy, I need to add a switch to my router so I can connect the second computer alongside this one and the two printers and the fileserver and, well not the TV but the TV recorder. It'll mean punching more holes through my firewall along with the actual cabling. Does anyone have any circular tuits to spare?

I'm the opposite much prefer wireless connectivity my printer is Wi Fi enabled and I'd have no problem connecting other computers wirelessly either. I don't miss all the cabling all I have now is a power cable for my lap top
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Dec 28 2017, 22:52

Derek wrote:His head won't hurt too much Graham if his youngsters write him a Ladybird guide! 

Agreed I got a new Hi Fi with bluetooth had no problem pairing with my laptop but could not pair my mobile no matter what I tried  Sad my granddaughter came to the rescue and in no time I was connected  Embarassed
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Thu Dec 28 2017, 23:33

graham64 wrote:
    Derek wrote:His head won't hurt too much Graham if his youngsters write him a Ladybird guide! 

Agreed I got a new Hi Fi with bluetooth had no problem pairing with my laptop but could not pair my mobile no matter what I tried  Sad my granddaughter came to the rescue and in no time I was connected  Embarassed

And you have the neck to take the piss out of me? Get back to them whippets ya Northern monkey. mrgreen
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Dec 29 2017, 22:22

Eddie wrote:
    graham64 wrote:

And you have the neck to take the piss out of me? Get back to them whippets ya Northern monkey. mrgreen

That's a bit rich coming from an Alf Garnett clone  Shocked

Have a Chat - Page 15 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQ8rn7WbdW-uWzRtsf9IMseg9nP6Ym5NFpmjCMayY8kPh2_A60WA
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Dec 30 2017, 23:40

graham64 wrote:
    I'm the opposite much prefer wireless connectivity my printer is Wi Fi enabled and I'd have no problem connecting other computers wirelessly either. I don't miss all the cabling all I have now is a power cable for my lap top

Several poorly secured Wi-Fi networks around here. I was thinking of printing a warning on a neighbour's printer which I could access if I wanted to.

In Other News, whoever was blocking/blacklisting me from posting on blogs seems to have finally given up, it'a been a long time now since I last had a problem.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Jan 01 2018, 21:41

chris c wrote:
    graham64 wrote:

Several poorly secured Wi-Fi networks around here. I was thinking of printing a warning on a neighbour's printer which I could access if I wanted to.

In Other News, whoever was blocking/blacklisting me from posting on blogs seems to have finally given up, it'a been a long time now since I last had a problem.

All the networks that come up here are secured, could never understand why anyone would leave their networks unsecured it's asking to be hacked  Sad
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Jan 02 2018, 21:58

It takes some faffing around, that's probably why.

As John Brunner wrote back in 1968, describing 2010

"It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to press this button"
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed Jan 03 2018, 21:55

chris c wrote:It takes some faffing around, that's probably why.

As John Brunner wrote back in 1968, describing 2010

"It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to press this button"

Every ISP I've used comes locked and can only be accessed by using the password key, I think they must have manually opened them up for some reason
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Thu Jan 04 2018, 22:11

Changing the subject ...

Marmite something you love or hate?

Is mustard the same?

I do use mustard in some recipes, but must admit I'm not a fan of spreading a little on a piece of meat.

However, it is a great shame that Colman's will be closing their Norwich factory ...

I still hope the yellow tin/jar survives being made, hopefully in another UK factory, but you can't but help sympathise with those in and around Norwich who will be affected by the factory closure.

More here:
    https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2018/01/04/colmans-to-close-mustard-factory-with-job-losses/

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Jan 05 2018, 21:37

Yes always sad when an Old Name goes. Bloody Unilever.

Personally I'm not fond of mustard but if I was I might try this

http://www.cumberlandmustard.com

This caught my eye

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2018/01/05/permission-sought-to-replenish-reservoir-despite-recent-rainfall/

I remember when it was built, a neighbour was one of the directors of the water company and took us to see the work in progress. There were times in Surrey and Sussex, and probably Kent too, when we had hosepipe bans and floods at the same time. More recently I remember they were putting in some giant water mains to move the stuff around over long distances while simultaneously losing hordes through leaks in the existing piping.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Jan 11 2018, 19:21

Can you believe it's Friday again tomorrow !!!

Where do the weeks go???

The grandchildren are already beginning to talk about Easter affraid  

All the best Jan
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Thu Jan 11 2018, 21:15

Hi just popped in to say Happy New Year!
    Hope you all had a lovely Christmas and new year Smile
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Jan 11 2018, 22:12

Andy12345 wrote:Hi just popped in to say Happy New Year!

Hi Andy good to hear from you again  Cool A Happy New Year to you and yours too mate Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Jan 12 2018, 22:03

Andy12345 wrote:Hi just popped in to say Happy New Year!

Hi Andy - thanks for the good wishes.
    Happy New Year to you and yours too

All the best Jan and Eddie
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Jan 13 2018, 11:56

Have a Chat - Page 15 Winterflowersinvase

Happy Saturday, and enjoy your weekend

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Jan 19 2018, 19:15

Can you believe it's Friday night!
    Hasn't the week flown by!!

It's swimming night again Grandma Smile

Well actually not for Grandma, but for the grandchildren who have their swimming lessons.
    Grandson will get another swimming certificate and grand-daughter is also doing well.

Fun times ...

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Jan 26 2018, 18:38

When I saw the headline 'Pothole-related breakdowns soar in 2017 - could poorer roads be to blame?'
    I was not surprised ... out driving these days you need to keep a close eye out for the potholes! One of our sons does a lot of bike-riding, he too (and other bikers/cyclists) have to be careful to avoid them, they can do a lot of damage!

"Figures released by the motoring service company, the RAC reveal that the number of drivers breaking down due to impacts with potholes rose by 11 per cent in the latter part of 2017.

The RAC's breakdown service attended a total of 2,830 incidents related to potholes in October, November and December last year – compared to just 2,547 over the same period in 2016.

Further analysis supports this. The RAC admits that breakdowns usually increase during the final quarter of the year, due to worsening weather conditions. However, it reports that the rate of increase between this period and the preceding three months was 45 per cent, compared to 38 per cent in the previous year.

The RAC's figures come just days after a consortium of local councils revealed the disparity in funding between major and minor roads. Motorways and strategic trunk roads receive, on average, 52 times more funding than smaller council-managed roads.

The RAC's chief engineer, David Bizley suggests that the worsening road quality is a major factor in the number of breakdowns. "After several years in which the surface quality of our roads appeared to be improving, the latest analysis of RAC breakdown data suggests that for the third successive quarter we have gone backwards," he said.

"Distorted wheels, broken springs and shock absorbers can be very expensive problems to put right," Bizley added, also warning that they can be "genuinely life-threatening" for motorcyclists and scooter riders."

https://www.aol.co.uk/cars/2018/01/26/pothole-related-breakdowns-soar-in-2017-could-poorer-roads-be/

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Jan 26 2018, 22:32

Our local roads have been significantly better than in many other places for a long time but are now starting to decline due to penny pinching. There were main roads in Surrey that were in worse condition than some of our cart tracks.

Increasingly when they do road works they close the road completely. Health and Safety presumably, but a damn nuisance when they block off the road miles from the actual works and prevent access to the unaffected side roads.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Jan 27 2018, 12:28

"Increasingly when they do road works they close the road completely. Health and Safety presumably, but a damn nuisance when they block off the road miles from the actual works and prevent access to the unaffected side roads."

Yes, this can be so annoying ...
    Guess we just have to face it!
    Travelling these days just ain't what it used to be Sad

Patience and often allowing extra time is needed.

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Jan 28 2018, 23:22

Jan1 wrote:
    However, it is a great shame that Colman's will be closing their Norwich factory ...

All the best Jan

Another one bites the dust, Aspalls, makers of cider and vinegar

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42595870

It was owned and run by about six generations of the same family.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Mar 09 2018, 14:02

LOL!
    Why is it that the day I choose to do some washing it always rains Question

Never mind ...

Onwards and upwards Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c