THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

Is Cold The New Hot ?

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Is Cold The New Hot ? Empty Is Cold The New Hot ?

Post by Jan1 Sun Apr 12 2015, 13:57

Is Cold The New Hot ? Compressed_Cold_Brew_Tea_1

Apparently "Cold brew tea is the hot new thing ..... you may never drink tea the same way again. The experts are involved and they reckon it needs to be cold.

News flash: steaming mugs are out, cold cups are in.

Let’s get one thing clear, we’re not talking about an iced tea or a cup of builder’s that you've forgotten about in the kitchen for a good few hours, this is a purer, more sophisticated take on tea.

Made from adding tea leaves to cold water and refrigerating them overnight, which aficionados say showcases the delicate flavours more effectively than hot water from the kettle, cold-brew tea is slowing seeping its way across Britain.

Cafes and street food trucks have been spreading the cold brew message at hipster hotspots and London even has its very own cold-brew café, Kenkō Tea Bar in Old Street.

Limau Chen, co-founder of Kenkō Tea Bar, told Homemade: “Cold brew tea is an extremely popular drink in far east Asia and it has recently become a trend in the States and Canada.

“Last year saw the cold-brew coffee trend hit the UK, but it is now high time we turn to cold brew tea.”

Is Cold The New Hot ? Compressed_Kenko

So what sort of tea responds best to the cold-brew treatment? Well, it isn’t your basic breakfast blend.

Chen explains: “The best way to make it is with premium loose tea leaves. Tea bags often contain smaller pieces of tea that lack the full flavour of the whole tea leaves. Tea bags can also contain added flavours giving a harsher flavour to the tea.”

“It’s important to choose the right type of tea leaves and be aware of the optimum steeping time for this tea. Each tea has a recommended steeping time in order to extract the maximum flavour and health properties of the tea.

“However, over-steeping can create a bitter taste ... Finding the perfect steeping time may require a little experimentation and patience, although we recommend a minimum of eight hours.”"

Top picture courtesy of Comins Tea House in Dorset who serve the cold brew tea. If you happen to be in Sturminster Newton, a most beautiful Dorset village you can pop in and try one.

Now does this sound your cup of tea? Speaking personally I love my tea quite hot, and not necessarily in a cup with saucer. A nice steaming mug suits me fine. But if I'm near one of these new 'tea houses' I just may pop in and try one.

Link to Homemade article here https://www.homemadebyyou.co.uk/articles/trends/cold-brew-tea-is-the-hot-new-thing?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl7%7Csec3_lnk6%26pLid%3D339257

Link to Comins Tea House here http://www.cominsteahouse.co.uk/tea-house

All the best Jan
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Is Cold The New Hot ? Empty Re: Is Cold The New Hot ?

Post by Indy51 Sun Apr 12 2015, 23:24

I guess I'd try it if it was on offer, but wouldn't go out of my way to find the stuff. There's nothing quite as comforting as a hot cuppa.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Apr 13 2015, 13:38

Have to agree Indy you can't beat a nice hot cup of tea and I prefer the ordinary everyday breakfast tea - I don't even mind a 'supermarkets' own label ! Now some would say that is sacrilege and I ought to be buying more expensive, well known brands.

I think if I was in a tea house - especially that one in Dorset - I may give the cold tea a go. Eddie and I were in Sturminster Newton some years back and visited that Tea House, it's a beautiful part of the world.

Any way it's time for another cup of hot tea for me .........  Smile

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09 2024, 23:23