THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Walking protects knees from osteoarthritis

yoly
    yoly

Walking protects knees from osteoarthritis Empty Walking protects knees from osteoarthritis

Post by yoly Tue Dec 09 2014, 17:54

http://www.ergo-log.com/walking-protects-knees-from-osteoarthritis.html

More walking was associated with less risk of functional limitation over 2 years. Walking >6,000 steps/day provides a preliminary estimate of the level of walking activity to protect against developing functional limitation in people with or at risk of knee OA.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Walking protects knees from osteoarthritis Empty Re: Walking protects knees from osteoarthritis

Post by Jan1 Tue Dec 09 2014, 18:08

Well as a person who enjoys walking this is a very interesting read, and I liked the way it's set out ....thanks Yoly sunny

And as the song goes 'These Feet Were Made For Walking'

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Walking protects knees from osteoarthritis Empty Re: Walking protects knees from osteoarthritis

Post by Jan1 Tue Dec 30 2014, 18:29

I think walking must be one of my families favourite hobbies, it's certainly one of mine. It's great to be outdoors, the better the weather is certainly helps - but even on wet, windy or cold days walking can lift the spirit. I've never owned a dog, but those who do certainly must enjoy their walk as much as the dog, well I hope they do.

As reported on another thread my new year resolution is to have at least an extra walk a week. It doesn't need to be a long walk just a walk to enjoy.

Looking around the Forum I see Yoly put a great article on (a little time a go now ) about walking and how it can help people who have osteoarthritis in their knees. Research has found it can delay the course of their disease by moving more. Many people may think that exercise causes the cartilage in joints to wear down in people with arthritis, and that they should therefore not do anything to put pressure on their joints, this is not entirely correct.

If you are interested in knees, the effect of exercise etc. this article is well worth a read and is plainly and clearly set out, you'll find the link on Yoly's first post.

In the meantime I'm looking forward to some winter walks ....... and keeping bad knees at bay sunny

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Tue Dec 30 2014, 21:10

Jan, you know my thoughts on walking. It's free, it serves a purpose, it reduces BG levels, it improves mental health, it helps cardio-pulmonary function and it just makes you bloody feel good ! GET ON IT :-)
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Apr 19 2018, 13:31

Looking around the forum, as I often do, I also look back at older posts.
    This one for instance ...

Yoly originally put this up in 2014, it's about walking and how it can help people who have osteoarthritis in their knees. Research has found it can delay the course of their disease by moving more. Many people may think that exercise causes the cartilage in joints to wear down in people with arthritis, and that they should therefore not do anything to put pressure on their joints, this is not entirely correct.

If you are interested in knees, the effect of exercise etc. this article is well worth a read and is plainly and clearly set out, you'll find the link on Yoly's first post.

In the meantime I'm looking forward to some sunny spring walks ....... and keeping bad knees at bay

All the best Jan
    yoly
    yoly

Post by yoly Fri Apr 20 2018, 12:55

That was the default position for every sickness. You can see it in those old tv series from the 60 and 70. How they though about diseases especially heart disease. They had to laid in bed at home. How many people they kill with their advice? Which they never acknowledge.

Last edited by yoly on Sat Apr 21 2018, 11:00; edited 1 time in total
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Apr 20 2018, 23:25

When I had my gallstones out, coincidentally on the day Chernobyl blew, they had me up and walking almost as soon as I returned from the post-op suite to the ward. At first I wanted to kill them but as the pain wore off I started wandering the wards and corridors. On the one hand they were pleased, but on the other they were less happy when I was absent for "ward rounds".

Must have done some good though as they let me out a few days earlier than they originally predicted.

I suspect there have been extra benefits these last few days as I have been walking and catching rays simultaneously.

When my leg arteries blocked up, partly due to the thyroid going off on one, and I was reduced to hobbling, the vascular surgeon suggested I walk through the pain which would help me revascularise myself without the need for stents. He had obviously seen this done before but he was actually amazed at how well I did. I suspect the lack of carbs and the ketones may have had something to do with it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 16:10