THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Diabetes diet damage control during the Holidays

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Diabetes diet damage control during the Holidays Empty Diabetes diet damage control during the Holidays

Post by Eddie Sat Nov 22 2014, 16:42

This short video just came into me via email. It talks about keeping things together during the holiday period, mostly common sense but I agree with all this guy says. Don't turn Christmas into an excuse for falling off the wagon.

zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Diabetes diet damage control during the Holidays Empty Re: Diabetes diet damage control during the Holidays

Post by zand Sat Nov 22 2014, 17:14

I'm getting a little worried about Christmas now because I used to have lots of veggies. Yesterday I weighed my veggies (brussel sprouts)and was really surprised at how many carbs were on my plate.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Diabetes diet damage control during the Holidays Empty Re: Diabetes diet damage control during the Holidays

Post by Eddie Sat Nov 22 2014, 17:53

zand wrote:I'm getting a little worried about Christmas now because I used to have lots of veggies.  Yesterday I weighed my veggies (brussel sprouts)and was really surprised at how many carbs were on my plate.  

Brussel sprouts are around 3.5 grams of carb per hundred grams, how many did you eat ? affraid
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Nov 22 2014, 17:59

eddie1 wrote:
    zand wrote:I'm getting a little worried about Christmas now because I used to have lots of veggies.  Yesterday I weighed my veggies (brussel sprouts)and was really surprised at how many carbs were on my plate.  

Brussel sprouts are around 3.5 grams of carb per hundred grams, how many did you eat ? affraid

lol loads. I had a bag that I had frozen and put in the freezer. 275g Smile lol I said I really like veggies Smile santa
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sat Nov 22 2014, 18:02

zand wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:

lol loads.  I had a bag that I had frozen and put in the freezer.  275g Smile lol I said I really like veggies  Smile santa

Still not heavy on the carbs,.........................but the gas freakout
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sat Nov 22 2014, 18:06

I've got a genuine question here. It's a bit embarrassing lol. Does everybody else feel like shite when their bloods are running high? Is it just me? I was reading somewhere recently and people were saying things like "it's only one day a year so I will eat what I like" etc. Surely if Christmas is an important day for whatever reason, it is even more important to eat healthily. All my folks will be gathered together. I don't want to be a sweaty wreck sleeping on the dining table just cos I want a mince pie and a roast potato. I just don't get it.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sat Nov 22 2014, 18:07

zand wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:

lol loads.  I had a bag that I had frozen and put in the freezer.  275g Smile lol I said I really like veggies  Smile santa

If you want to keep the carbs lower and use less sprouts then do what I do at chrimbo and make 'em more richer and filling by adding crushed chestnuts,crispy bacon pieces(Off the top of the Turkey and then broken up),butter and black pepper and sautee 'em in the pan and they taste divine! Wink I'm gonna add a bit of double cream too this year as an experiment. Smile
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sat Nov 22 2014, 18:10

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:I've got a genuine question here.  It's a bit embarrassing lol. Does everybody else feel like shite when their bloods are running high?  Is it just me?  I was reading somewhere recently and people were saying things like "it's only one day a year so I will eat what I like" etc.  Surely if Christmas is an important day for whatever reason, it is even more important to eat healthily.  All my folks will be gathered together.  I don't want to be a sweaty wreck sleeping on the dining table just cos I want a mince pie and a roast potato.  I just don't get it.

You're right of course-I feel like shite too with high BG's and I would also go comatose if I had a carb fest on the day-and as the cook myself...Not good!! Sad
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sat Nov 22 2014, 18:11

I'm thinking of putting chilli spiced almonds on top of my sprouts. Love the cream idea too. Thanks Paul.
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sat Nov 22 2014, 18:13

Paul wrote:
    Avocado Sevenfold wrote:I've got a genuine question here.  It's a bit embarrassing lol. Does everybody else feel like shite when their bloods are running high?  Is it just me?  I was reading somewhere recently and people were saying things like "it's only one day a year so I will eat what I like" etc.  Surely if Christmas is an important day for whatever reason, it is even more important to eat healthily.  All my folks will be gathered together.  I don't want to be a sweaty wreck sleeping on the dining table just cos I want a mince pie and a roast potato.  I just don't get it.

You're right of course-I feel like shite too with high BG's and I would also go comatose if I had a carb fest on the day-and as the cook myself...Not good!! Sad

Thanks Paul. Good job there are loads of great things for us to eat and drink cheers
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sat Nov 22 2014, 18:13

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:I'm thinking of putting chilli spiced almonds on top of my sprouts.  Love the cream idea too.  Thanks Paul.

Sounds lovely!! cheers I LOVE a bit of chili kick with my veggies!
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Nov 22 2014, 18:15

eddie1 wrote:
    zand wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:

Still not heavy on the carbs,.........................but the gas freakout

True but I'm trying to have 20-30 g carbs daily because I want to lose weight. (Have only done this for a week so far) This plus one other little 'slip' took me to 40g Sad
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sat Nov 22 2014, 18:15

I can tell my BG without using a meter. When it goes above 7.5 my BP goes up and I get a headache. According to Jan I get ratty and irritable. So yes I also feel like "shite" For the first few years at holidays etc. I had what I called sod it days and the control went south. But do you know, the food I ate like spuds and stuff tasted like err...shite and I thought this ain't worth the grief. My only indulgence now is battered fish and a few chips around once a month from a stunning fish and chip shop on the south coast. My Christmas lunch will be low carb, something expensive like fillet steak or scallops.

Last edited by eddie1 on Sat Nov 22 2014, 18:18; edited 2 times in total
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Nov 22 2014, 18:16

Paul wrote:
    zand wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:

If you want to keep the carbs lower and use less sprouts then do what I do at chrimbo and make 'em more richer and filling by adding crushed chestnuts,crispy bacon pieces(Off the top of the Turkey and then broken up),butter and black pepper and sautee 'em in the pan and they taste divine! Wink I'm gonna add a bit of double cream too this year as an experiment. Smile

Thank you, that's perfect Smile
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sat Nov 22 2014, 18:19

eddie1 wrote:

I can tell my BG without using a meter. When it goes above 7.5 my BP goes up and I get a headache. According to Jan I get ratty and irritable. So yes I also feel like "shite" For the first few years at holidays etc. I had what I called sod it days and the control went south. But do you know, the food I ate like spuds and stuff tasted like err...shite and I thought this ain't worth the grief. My only indulgence now is battered fish and a few chips around once a month from a stunning fish and chip shop on the south coast. My Christmas lunch will be low carb, something expensive like fillet steak or scallops.

Thanks for the reassurance Smile
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Sat Nov 22 2014, 21:13

eddie1 wrote:My Christmas lunch will be low carb, something expensive like fillet steak or scallops.

Push the boat out Eddie, have fillet steak AND scallops.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sat Nov 22 2014, 21:22

sanguine wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:My Christmas lunch will be low carb, something expensive like fillet steak or scallops.

Push the boat out Eddie, have fillet steak AND scallops.

Posh surf 'n' Turf!! cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 23:56