THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+3
chris c
Jan1
graham64
7 posters

The Truth About Carbs, BBC1 review:

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

The Truth About Carbs, BBC1 review:  Empty The Truth About Carbs, BBC1 review:

Post by graham64 Wed Jun 06 2018, 22:50

Accessible documentary with tremendous results

The Truth About Carbs, BBC1 review:  Truth-About-Carbs

Dr Xand van Tulleken set out to explore carbohydrates, and their role in our increasing rates of type 2 diabetes, obesity, bowel cancer and fertility problems. The Truth About Carbs was a fun, accessible documentary complete with animations, demonstrative props and a visual experiment in which he asked people to measure out the sugar cubes found in foods from a bagel to a muffin. Shock: there are 19 in a seemingly innocent baked potato.

Dividing them simply into three types of carbohydrate: beige (starchy), white (sugary) and green (healthy fibre), van Tulleken clearly got his message across about the importance of healthy, resistant starch in the diet.

After hearing the terrifying diabetes-related conditions he listed – blindness, ulcers, heart attacks, strokes, limb loss… oh, and death (“It’s pretty hard to overstate how dangerous type 2 diabetes is,” said the upbeat, amiable doctor) – you certainly wanted to follow GP David Unwin’s low-carb lifestyle advice. With tips such as substituting celeriac for carb-heavy roast potatoes, or bulgar wheat for rice, we saw the results of a group of overweight patients who had all lost weight, with some on their way to reversing their diabetes.

https://inews.co.uk/culture/the-truth-about-carbs-bbc1-review/
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

The Truth About Carbs, BBC1 review:  Empty Re: The Truth About Carbs, BBC1 review:

Post by Jan1 Thu Jun 07 2018, 17:31

graham64 wrote:
    Accessible documentary with tremendous results

The Truth About Carbs, BBC1 review:  Truth-About-Carbs

Dr Xand van Tulleken set out to explore carbohydrates, and their role in our increasing rates of type 2 diabetes, obesity, bowel cancer and fertility problems. The Truth About Carbs was a fun, accessible documentary complete with animations, demonstrative props and a visual experiment in which he asked people to measure out the sugar cubes found in foods from a bagel to a muffin. Shock: there are 19 in a seemingly innocent baked potato.

Dividing them simply into three types of carbohydrate: beige (starchy), white (sugary) and green (healthy fibre), van Tulleken clearly got his message across about the importance of healthy, resistant starch in the diet.

After hearing the terrifying diabetes-related conditions he listed – blindness, ulcers, heart attacks, strokes, limb loss… oh, and death (“It’s pretty hard to overstate how dangerous type 2 diabetes is,” said the upbeat, amiable doctor) – you certainly wanted to follow GP David Unwin’s low-carb lifestyle advice. With tips such as substituting celeriac for carb-heavy roast potatoes, or bulgar wheat for rice, we saw the results of a group of overweight patients who had all lost weight, with some on their way to reversing their diabetes.

https://inews.co.uk/culture/the-truth-about-carbs-bbc1-review/

Thought this was very good, and good to see GP David Unwin Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

The Truth About Carbs, BBC1 review:  Empty Re: The Truth About Carbs, BBC1 review:

Post by chris c Fri Jun 08 2018, 21:17

I guessed this would be a bunch of crap so didn't bother to watch it. Obviously I was wrong.

VERY wrong judging by the storms of protest on Twitter

https://twitter.com/xandvt/status/1004451701003378688

https://twitter.com/lowcarbGP/status/1003277086386216960

https://twitter.com/lowcarbGP/status/1004454829337530368

https://twitter.com/DrAseemMalhotra/status/1004291303075733504

Surprised they didn't roll out Alison Fatstone or one of her cronies. When I find the necessary circular tuit i might read some of my favourite dieticians' twitter feeds.

What with this and the Noakes verdict, and the AMA trying and failing to get The Magic Pill pulled from Netflix

https://twitter.com/SBakerMD/status/1003054963184959488

looks like science is winning out over dogma, just for a while.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Jun 08 2018, 22:54

It's on BBC iplayer now Chris, I was a bit sceptical like you but was pleasantly surprised, don't agree with all of the programme but it does give more credibility to low carb

Xand v Collins/Snowdon  Laughing 

https://twitter.com/xandvt/status/1004508785623425024
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sat Jun 09 2018, 22:20

More from the Collins twitter feed

https://twitter.com/RD_Catherine/status/1004505254300352512

Full truth about carbs video available here  https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6layky
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Jun 11 2018, 21:48

So no surprise there then. Has The Angry Chef - you know, that unqualified writer of bestselling books - and designer of processed food - had his say yet? They love opinionated idiots don't they? Anything but science.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Jun 11 2018, 21:57

chris c wrote:So no surprise there then. Has The Angry Chef - you know, that unqualified writer of bestselling books - and designer of processed food - had his say yet? They love opinionated idiots don't they? Anything but science.

Not The angry chef but Collins is plugging another unqualified idiot 

The Truth About Carbs, BBC1 review:  Capture%2Bbbc%2Bcollins

chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Jun 11 2018, 22:00

To call Snowdon a dickwad would be unfair to dickwads. Gosh I seem to have a low tolerance to idiots today.

Thanks for the link BTW, I'll watch it later.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Jun 11 2018, 22:08

Hahahahaha

"The author could not be more uninformed if he tried"

"This is a terrible article. Author goes on a barely coherent rant armed with primary school science on a topic he has very little understanding of."

Good to see the level of Clue in the replies to his bollocks.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Jun 11 2018, 22:10

chris c wrote:To call Snowdon a dickwad would be unfair to dickwads. Gosh I seem to have a low tolerance to idiots today.

Thanks for the link BTW, I'll watch it later.

I got the link from a real dietitian  Laughing

https://twitter.com/lchfRD/status/1005461320785805312
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Jun 11 2018, 22:20

Oh yes she is brilliant. We Dieticians too. Proof that it can be done. Maybe the Noakes trial will lead to more of them, and clueful doctors, emerging into the light.

On the other hand the Militant Vegans are all over just now. I don't look but how many low carb people give themselves the "right" to invade vegan blogs and twitter accounts?
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Tue Jun 12 2018, 21:53

Cashin sticks her oar in  Rolling Eyes

The Truth About Carbs, BBC1 review:  Capture%2Bxand

Bloody hypocrite she knows very well that we are still around ten years on or maybe she does not consider ten years to be long term  Rolling Eyes Not to forget that we achieved our results by ignoring her dietary advice and stupid warnings about the dire consequences of Low Carb
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Wed Jun 13 2018, 19:04

graham64 wrote:Cashin sticks her oar in  Rolling Eyes

Bloody hypocrite she knows very well that we are still around ten years on or maybe she does not consider ten years to be long term  Rolling Eyes Not to forget that we achieved our results by ignoring her dietary advice and stupid warnings about the dire consequences of Low Carb
    Hi Graham
    It's a non fact based assertion she hopes will not be checked out by her readers. What a pathetic and desparate character.
    regards
    Derek
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jun 13 2018, 21:32

The long term effects of her high carbs are well known. Amputations, dialysis and retinopathy not to mention premature death. Obviously unimportant.

More of the same

https://twitter.com/cerenyavuz/status/1006237963418783744

yoly
    yoly

Post by yoly Thu Jun 14 2018, 11:19

Deficient diet? Almost all high carb food are very poor in nutrient content. The higher their content of starches and sugars the lower their value for human health. There actually a more than proven inverse correlation between high carbohydrates food and good health.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Jun 14 2018, 21:42

Long birder wrote:
    graham64 wrote:Cashin sticks her oar in  Rolling Eyes

Hi Graham
    It's a non fact based assertion she hopes will not be checked out by her readers.  What a pathetic and desparate character.
    regards
    Derek

Hi Derek
    She used to post as ally5555 on the DCUK forum, her sole intention was to run down low carb and that included we were at risk from scurvy, osteoporosis, constipation and many other complications. After we were banned we continued to highlight her most preposterous posts on our blog she eventually went back to the forum and deleted many of the posts

We also highlighted a post on a dietetics forum were she stated potatoes she be a staple in a diabetics diet  Rolling Eyes obviously she also deleted that
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Jun 14 2018, 22:14

Sian Porter actually defends Xandvt which must rankle the likes of Collins  Laughing

https://twitter.com/DietitianSian/status/1004682547782148096
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Fri Jun 15 2018, 17:09

My life of hell since I took on Tim Noakes https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2018-06-13-my-life-of-hell-since-i-took-on-tim-noakes/

Dietician Claire Julsing-Strydom says she has had to endure hundreds of insulting messages from Banting fans since she laid a complaint against Professor Tim Noakes in 2014 for advising parents not to feed their children carbohydrates.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Jun 15 2018, 22:44

yoly wrote:Deficient diet? Almost all high carb food are very poor in nutrient content. The higher their content of starches and sugars the lower their value for human health. There actually a more than proven inverse correlation between high carbohydrates food and good health.

Precisely! The concept of "protein leverage" I suspect also applies to a lot of micronutrients, If your diet is deficient your body prompts you to eat more in the hope that you will overcome the deficiency eventually, which doesn't happen with processed high carb crap-in-a-bag.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Jun 15 2018, 22:46

Eddie wrote:My life of hell since I took on Tim Noakes  https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2018-06-13-my-life-of-hell-since-i-took-on-tim-noakes/

Dietician Claire Julsing-Strydom says she has had to endure hundreds of insulting messages from Banting fans since she laid a complaint against Professor Tim Noakes in 2014 for advising parents not to feed their children carbohydrates.

Awww, diddums! She can dish it out but can't take it. She has now given herself less than zero credibility. Perhaps she should eat some cheese with that whine.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sat Jun 16 2018, 22:30

I see Marika Sboros twitter account has gone down, could it be because of complaints by disgruntled dietitians  Question
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Sun Jun 17 2018, 11:16

graham64 wrote:I see Marika Sboros twitter account has gone down, could it be because of complaints by disgruntled dietitians  Question

You guys guys have got no respect for their "I'm a dietician and I'm the expert" badges! SmileWink
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Jun 17 2018, 22:25

Long birder wrote:
    graham64 wrote:I see Marika Sboros twitter account has gone down, could it be because of complaints by disgruntled dietitians  Question

You guys guys have got no respect for their "I'm a dietician and I'm the expert" badges!  SmileWink

Did they get their badges from the Brownies Derek  Question

https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/what-we-do/brownies-7-10/all-about-brownies/brownie-badges/

Meanwhile Marika's twitter account is back up again though as of yet she's not tweeted
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Jun 18 2018, 22:38

Allegedly it was a mistake by an algorithm. Spot A McAsswipe taking the credit

https://twitter.com/AlastairMcA30/status/1007994577020686336

I finally got around to watching the programme, not sure what all the fuss was about. It was good but not that good. Meanwhile here's the Snowdon troll

The Truth About Carbs, BBC1 review:  Df_miy10

looking slim and healthy eh?
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Tue Jun 19 2018, 21:39

chris c wrote:Allegedly it was a mistake by an algorithm. Spot A McAsswipe taking the credit

https://twitter.com/AlastairMcA30/status/1007994577020686336

I finally got around to watching the programme, not sure what all the fuss was about. It was good but not that good. Meanwhile here's the Snowdon troll

The Truth About Carbs, BBC1 review:  Df_miy10

looking slim and healthy eh?

Slim and healthy  Shocked  a bit like these past chairs of the BDA, must have been rigidly following their own dietary advice 

The Truth About Carbs, BBC1 review:  DgE1Q_sXkAEViUc

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 07:09