THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

What a Low-Carb Doctor Keeps in his Fridge !

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

What a Low-Carb Doctor Keeps in his Fridge ! Empty What a Low-Carb Doctor Keeps in his Fridge !

Post by Jan1 Fri Jan 06 2017, 11:25

'love the look of Dr Hyman’s fridge – from healthy fats to plenty of greens. Learn what this functional medicine doctor is eating daily…'

What a Low-Carb Doctor Keeps in his Fridge ! Dr-hyman-718x581c

Diet Doctor writes ...

Confused about what foods to stock up on on your low-carb diet? Here’s some inspiration from a doctor!

Dr. Mark Hyman, author of Eat Fat, Get Thin, has plenty of healthy foods such as avocados, organic meats, butter and leafy greens in his fridge:

And what does he stay away from? “Hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated or any words that you do not recognize or can’t pronounce.”

Read and see more here
    The Chalkboard: How A Functional Medicine Doctor Stocks His Fridge
    http://thechalkboardmag.com/dr-hyman-functional-medicine-kitchen

Also see Diet Doctor site here
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb-doctor-keeps-fridge

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

What a Low-Carb Doctor Keeps in his Fridge ! Empty Re: What a Low-Carb Doctor Keeps in his Fridge !

Post by Jan1 Sat Jan 07 2017, 14:00

This is one tip from the original article above which I think is helpful ...

"Look around your market the next time you are there – you will notice that the whole, fresh foods are stocked on the outside aisles, not in the inside shelves. Stick to these aisles for the main ingredients of your meals."

So true ... and it's why I always put this into practice !

I'm out shopping later - what will I buy ?
    Well it will not be cornflakes for breakfast - but I'll probably have some eggs in my basket, among other good foods - how about you?

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

What a Low-Carb Doctor Keeps in his Fridge ! Empty Re: What a Low-Carb Doctor Keeps in his Fridge !

Post by chris c Sun Jan 08 2017, 22:52

Brussels sprouts (I ran out), purple sprouting broccoli (just finished the last of it), mushrooms (getting low), coloured peppers, some form of meat (haven't decided yet), that's the downtown/farm shop list and from the supermarket coffee, milk, oatcakes, nuts, smoked salmon.

It's a hard life . . .
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Jan 09 2017, 11:17

chris c wrote:Brussels sprouts (I ran out), purple sprouting broccoli (just finished the last of it), mushrooms (getting low), coloured peppers, some form of meat (haven't decided yet), that's the downtown/farm shop list and from the supermarket coffee, milk, oatcakes, nuts, smoked salmon.

It's a hard life . . .

"It's a hard life" LOL!!!

So many people still believe that when you live the LCHF lifestyle your choices are limited - it's just not true Smile
    There is some great tasting whole fresh food available ...

But of course I mustn't forget the tea bags!

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Jan 09 2017, 23:29

And I forgot to mention the fish van which came today (salmon and a kipper) and the partridge I still have in the fridge, but not after tomorrow.

Strangely I've failed to expire from a lack of Belvita, Cereal Partners, Unilever etc. and no doubt Mark Hyman doesn't keep that kind of CIAB around either.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Jan 10 2017, 21:01

Many years back, we used to have a fish van that called around ... nowadays it's the fish counter at the supermarket or if we should be down south then the fish stall on Mudeford Quay

What a Low-Carb Doctor Keeps in his Fridge ! Mudefordquayjpg

As I wrote on a blog post
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/mary-berry-at-crab-fest-salcombe-and.html

"The grand-children love going there and doing some crabbing. You can also visit the fresh fish stall to buy crabs, scallops and all sorts of great fish. If you are down that way, I can recommend it, it's a lovely place to visit. Walk along and take in the sights and sounds, see the local fishing boats, have a ferry boat ride over to Mudeford Sandbank and just take time to spend a relaxing day..."

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jan 11 2017, 22:39

We used to have a MacFisheries. Most towns had a fish shop, or even more than one. We used to have one here until the owner retired (in his seventies). AFAICR his son wanted to take it over but they wouldn't renew the lease. It became a fish and chip shop/restaurant for a while, can't remember what happened to it after that.

Likewise one of the two smokehouses in Orford closed after the owner died. The other one is still going and sells via local shops/farm shops and the internet too. To a degree the vans doing either door to door and/or parking in town centres at lunchtime took over from shops. Yes we still have stalls on the beach in some places where fresh fish comes straight off the boat.

I wonder how many younger people have never had fish without batter or breading.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Jan 12 2017, 22:15

I can remember visiting MacFisheries with my Mum ... I found this site which tells more
    http://www.macfisheries.co.uk/

Founded in 1918 and closed in 1979. Times do change and move on ...

The grandchildren do like their fishfingers with peas and sweetcorn, but they also have steamed white fish and quite often salmon which they also tuck into with peas, carrots, sweetcorn and their absolute favourite broccoli Smile

Mind you I'd also tuck into  steamed white fish / salmon with broccoli

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Jan 13 2017, 20:46

Ha, I'll look at that later. Memories not just in MacFish of the sloping tables with the fish laid out among crumbled blocks of ice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 20:28