THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Cooking with vegetable oil releases toxic chemicals linked to cancer

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Cooking with vegetable oil releases toxic chemicals linked to cancer Empty Cooking with vegetable oil releases toxic chemicals linked to cancer

Post by graham64 Thu Apr 07 2016, 22:56

Cooking with vegetable oils releases toxic chemicals linked to cancer and other diseases, according to leading scientists, who are now recommending food be fried in olive oil, coconut oil, butter or even lard.

The results of a series of experiments threaten to turn on its head official advice that oils rich in polyunsaturated fats - such as corn oil and sunflower oil - are better for the health than the saturated fats in animal products.

Scientists found that heating up vegetable oils led to the release of high concentrations of chemicals called aldehydes, which have been linked to illnesses including cancer, heart disease and dementia.

Martin Grootveld, a professor of bioanalytical chemistry and chemical pathology, said that his research showed "a typical meal of fish and chips", fried in vegetable oil, contained as much as 100 to 200 times more toxic aldehydes than the safe daily limit set by the World Health Organisation.

In contrast, heating up butter, olive oil and lard in tests produced much lower levels of aldehydes. Coconut oil produced the lowest levels of the harmful chemicals.

Concerns over toxic chemicals in heated oils are backed up by separate research from an Oxford professor, who claims that the fatty acids in vegetable oils are contributing to other health problems.

Professor John Stein, Oxford's emeritus professor of neuroscience, said that partly as a result of corn and sunflower oils, "the human brain is changing in a way that is as serious as climate change threatens to be".

Because vegetable oils are rich in omega 6 acids, they are contributing to a reduction in critical omega 3 fatty acids in the brain by replacing them, he believes.

"If you eat too much corn oil or sunflower oil, the brain is absorbing too much omega 6, and that effectively forces out omega 3," said Professor Stein. "I believe the lack of omega 3 is a powerful contributory factor to such problems as increasing mental health issues and other problems such as dyslexia."

He said sunflower oil and corn oil were now banished from his own kitchen, replaced by olive oil and butter.

NHS advice is to replace "foods high in saturated fat with lower-fat versions" and warns against frying food in butter or lard, recommending instead corn oil, sunflower oil and rapeseed oil. Saturated fats raise cholesterol levels, increasing the risk of heart disease.

But Professor Grootveld, of De Montfort University in Leicester, who carried out a series of experiments, said: "For decades, the authorities have been warning us how bad butter and lard was. But we have found butter is very, very good for frying purposes and so is lard.

"People have been telling us how healthy polyunsaturates are in corn oil and sunflower oil. But when you start messing around with them, subjecting them to high amounts of energy in the frying pan or the oven, they undergo a complex series of chemical reactions which results in the accumulation of large amounts of toxic compounds."

The findings are contained in research papers. Professor Grootveld's team measured levels of "aldehydic lipid oxidation products" (LOPs), produced when oils were heated to varying temperatures. The tests suggested coconut oil produces the lowest levels of aldehydes, and three times more aldehydes were produced when heating corn oil and sunflower oil than butter.

The team concluded in one paper last year: "The most obvious solution to the generation of LOPs in culinary oils during frying is to avoid consuming foods fried in PUFA [polyunsaturated fatty acid]-rich oils as much as possible."

Professor Grootveld said: "This major problem has received scant or limited attention from the food industry and health researchers." Evidence of high levels of toxicity from heating oils has been available for many years, he said.

Health concerns linked to the toxic by-products include heart disease; cancer; "malformations" during pregnancy; inflammation; risk of ulcers and a rise in blood pressure.

He said the oils when "completely pure [and] authentic ... offer no threats to human health" but that "LOPs arising from the frequent and common use of polyunsaturated fats" for frying "certainly do so".

Public Health England says saturated fats, including butter and coconut oil "can be eaten occasionally in small amounts as part of a healthy balanced diet".

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/health/cooking-with-vegetable-oil-releases-toxic-chemicals-linked-to-cancer-20151108-gktips.html
    Derek
    Derek

Cooking with vegetable oil releases toxic chemicals linked to cancer Empty Re: Cooking with vegetable oil releases toxic chemicals linked to cancer

Post by Derek Fri Apr 08 2016, 19:19

Hi Graham,
    Isn't rape seed oil supposed be OK? I think it is short chain omega 3?
    D.
    graham64 wrote:Cooking with vegetable oils releases toxic chemicals linked to cancer and other diseases, according to leading scientists, who are now recommending food be fried in olive oil, coconut oil, butter or even lard.

The results of a series of experiments threaten to turn on its head official advice that oils rich in polyunsaturated fats - such as corn oil and sunflower oil - are better for the health than the saturated fats in animal products.

Scientists found that heating up vegetable oils led to the release of high concentrations of chemicals called aldehydes, which have been linked to illnesses including cancer, heart disease and dementia.

Martin Grootveld, a professor of bioanalytical chemistry and chemical pathology, said that his research showed "a typical meal of fish and chips", fried in vegetable oil, contained as much as 100 to 200 times more toxic aldehydes than the safe daily limit set by the World Health Organisation.

In contrast, heating up butter, olive oil and lard in tests produced much lower levels of aldehydes. Coconut oil produced the lowest levels of the harmful chemicals.

Concerns over toxic chemicals in heated oils are backed up by separate research from an Oxford professor, who claims that the fatty acids in vegetable oils are contributing to other health problems.

Professor John Stein, Oxford's emeritus professor of neuroscience, said that partly as a result of corn and sunflower oils, "the human brain is changing in a way that is as serious as climate change threatens to be".

Because vegetable oils are rich in omega 6 acids, they are contributing to a reduction in critical omega 3 fatty acids in the brain by replacing them, he believes.

"If you eat too much corn oil or sunflower oil, the brain is absorbing too much omega 6, and that effectively forces out omega 3," said Professor Stein. "I believe the lack of omega 3 is a powerful contributory factor to such problems as increasing mental health issues and other problems such as dyslexia."

He said sunflower oil and corn oil were now banished from his own kitchen, replaced by olive oil and butter.

NHS advice is to replace "foods high in saturated fat with lower-fat versions" and warns against frying food in butter or lard, recommending instead corn oil, sunflower oil and rapeseed oil. Saturated fats raise cholesterol levels, increasing the risk of heart disease.

But Professor Grootveld, of De Montfort University in Leicester, who carried out a series of experiments, said: "For decades, the authorities have been warning us how bad butter and lard was. But we have found butter is very, very good for frying purposes and so is lard.

"People have been telling us how healthy polyunsaturates are in corn oil and sunflower oil. But when you start messing around with them, subjecting them to high amounts of energy in the frying pan or the oven, they undergo a complex series of chemical reactions which results in the accumulation of large amounts of toxic compounds."

The findings are contained in research papers. Professor Grootveld's team measured levels of "aldehydic lipid oxidation products" (LOPs), produced when oils were heated to varying temperatures. The tests suggested coconut oil produces the lowest levels of aldehydes, and three times more aldehydes were produced when heating corn oil and sunflower oil than butter.

The team concluded in one paper last year: "The most obvious solution to the generation of LOPs in culinary oils during frying is to avoid consuming foods fried in PUFA [polyunsaturated fatty acid]-rich oils as much as possible."

Professor Grootveld said: "This major problem has received scant or limited attention from the food industry and health researchers." Evidence of high levels of toxicity from heating oils has been available for many years, he said.

Health concerns linked to the toxic by-products include heart disease; cancer; "malformations" during pregnancy; inflammation; risk of ulcers and a rise in blood pressure.

He said the oils when "completely pure [and] authentic ... offer no threats to human health" but that "LOPs arising from the frequent and common use of polyunsaturated fats" for frying "certainly do so".

Public Health England says saturated fats, including butter and coconut oil "can be eaten occasionally in small amounts as part of a healthy balanced diet".

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/health/cooking-with-vegetable-oil-releases-toxic-chemicals-linked-to-cancer-20151108-gktips.html
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Cooking with vegetable oil releases toxic chemicals linked to cancer Empty Re: Cooking with vegetable oil releases toxic chemicals linked to cancer

Post by Eddie Fri Apr 08 2016, 19:42

Hi Derek

"Hi Graham,
    D."

I would rather drink drain cleaner than rape seed oil. Check out how it is made.

Then check out how butter is made. Butter every time.

graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Apr 08 2016, 21:45

Derek wrote:Hi Graham,

Hi Derek, yes it's claimed to be ok but as Eddie showed in the video the manufacturing process does not back that up.

The extra virgin cold pressed rapeseed oil is probably a better bet but I will stick with butter, olive oil and bacon fat Cool
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Apr 09 2016, 20:52

Yes I use local cold-pressed rapeseed oil occasionally as it comes from the son of a farmer I know. But in general the more unsaturated the fat the less chemically stable it is, probably best to use it unheated.

Isn't it ironic, the CSPI were the ones who first had saturated fats banned in McDonalds and replaced with trans fats. Then a few decades later they had trans fats banned. But they still don't want you using animal fats, the latest industrial abortion is interesterified fats. How long before the health-degrading properties of these come to be accepted?
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Sun Apr 10 2016, 07:40

Hi Chris, Graham and Eddie,
    I must be ingesting some toxin or producing some toxin. I am down to my target weight and my GGT that has been coming down was 72 earlier in year is up to 87! Which is disappointing.
    It not fructose or carbs, I have a bmi under 23 now.
    D.
    chris c wrote:Yes I use local cold-pressed rapeseed oil occasionally as it comes from the son of a farmer I know. But in general the more unsaturated the fat the less chemically stable it is, probably best to use it unheated.

Isn't it ironic, the CSPI were the ones who first had saturated fats banned in McDonalds and replaced with trans fats. Then a few decades later they had trans fats banned. But they still don't want you using animal fats, the latest industrial abortion is interesterified fats. How long before the health-degrading properties of these come to be accepted?
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sun Apr 10 2016, 14:38

Derek wrote:Hi Chris, Graham and Eddie,
    I must be ingesting some toxin or  producing some toxin. I am down to my target weight and my GGT that has been coming down was 72 earlier in year is up to 87! Which is disappointing.
    D.
    chris c wrote:Yes I use local cold-pressed rapeseed oil occasionally as it comes from the son of a farmer I know. But in general the more unsaturated the fat the less chemically stable it is, probably best to use it unheated.

Hi Derek have you considered as we age our beta cells start deteriorating, which could lead to raised BG numbers whatever we do. Although I have held good numbers for eight years, I have thought it highly likely the day would come when even the right diet would not be enough to hold good numbers. I was told at diagnosis I would probably be on insulin within five years. Like most T2's I want to avoid insulin for as long a possible, but I reckon if we live long enough, many even well controlled diabetics will end up injecting insulin.

The $64000 question for us is, how high do we go before we ask for insulin? My worry is our medics will tell us numbers we consider to be too high, are safe, and we cannot have insulin because of cost etc.

Getting back to my usual happy self. affraid One thing you can count on, in a long enough time scale, our chances of survival are nil. rofl Now, that's a comforting thought.
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Sun Apr 10 2016, 18:05

Your right Eddie at coming up to 77 I want to put off the certainty as long as possible. Smile
    My trigs were good at 1.0, Hdl 1.6 but total 6.3 it looks though the ldl is big and fluffy?
    D.
    PS the doc should know I am on lchf!
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Apr 10 2016, 21:37

Derek wrote:I must be ingesting some toxin or producing some toxin. I am down to my target weight and my GGT that has been coming down was 72 earlier in year is up to 87! Which is disappointing.
    D.

Hi Derek

Strange how your GGT has fluctuated so much in a short space of time, I believe some medications and alcohol can possibly be a cause of high levels not suggesting that you are a heavy drinker though Neutral have you seen your GP for further investigation ?

Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Sun Apr 10 2016, 22:04

Hi Graham,
    I probably drink half a litre of lager a month.
    It could well be meds my GGT had been steady at 35 until after I started on afib meds and dieting.
    I changed to Rivaroxaban from Warfarin in January.
    I also am on Doxazosin 2mg which I've been on for years and 100mg Eplerenone.
    The doctor thought it was meds. It was worst Dec 2014 at 143 so it is gradually coming down.
    Perhaps will try known dietary causes . They reckon a little alcohol each day is better than none for ggt!
    thanks for your help
    My better half reckons I eat too much fried food! I am going to use olive oil and butter now I realise rape seed oil could be toxic.
    Derek

graham64 wrote:
    Derek wrote:I must be ingesting some toxin or producing some toxin. I am down to my target weight and my GGT that has been coming down was 72 earlier in year is up to 87! Which is disappointing.
    D.

Hi Derek

Strange how your GGT has fluctuated so much in a short space of time, I believe some medications and alcohol can possibly be a cause of high levels not suggesting that you are a heavy drinker though Neutral have you seen your GP for further investigation ?

graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Apr 10 2016, 22:23

Derek wrote:I probably drink half a litre of lager a month.
    It could well be meds my GGT had been steady at 35 until after I started on afib meds and dieting.
    I changed to Rivaroxaban from Warfarin in January.
    I also am on Doxazosin 2mg which I've been on for years and 100mg Eplerenone.
    The doctor thought it was meds. It was worst Dec 2014 at 143 so it is gradually coming down.
    Perhaps will try known dietary causes . They reckon a little alcohol each day is better than none for ggt!
    thanks for your help
    My better half reckons I eat too much fried food! I am going to use olive oil and butter now I realise rape seed oil could be toxic.cause
    thanks

You can certainly rule out alcohol then Derek Laughing , not sure which of your medications if any could be playing a part though given your GGT prior to the start of afib meds they might be a possible , looks like your doctor is on the case.

Got to go now early rise in the morning on child minding duties bitenails

Cheers
    Graham
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Apr 10 2016, 23:52

I like coconut oil as well, it takes the heat well BUT I suspect it may be behind the problems I'm having with the kitchen sink drain as it is solid at room temperature and there's a blockage way way down the pipe. Copious quantities of sulphuric acid are gradually shifting it, the problem is getting the acid far enough down the pipe. I'm surprised no-one has suggested injecting it to clear your arteries of all that saturated fat, after all as we all know (NOT!) fat goes directly into the blood and plasters itself all over the artery walls.

If you like techy stuff Michael Eades has some interesting stuff on Omega 6 metabolism. Peter at Hyperlipid is the go-to guy on mitochondria.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08 2024, 15:32