THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

It's A Hard Life

chris c
    chris c

It's A Hard Life Empty It's A Hard Life

Post by chris c Wed Mar 23 2016, 20:05

but someone has to do it . . .

Went a bit over the top yesterday, the butcher had spring lamb in so I bought a couple of chops and a couple of slices of liver. Also some Toulouse sausages, and some ground pork as a change from my usual beef.

I bought a huge tree of broccoli and some multicoloured peppers and chillies and giant mushrooms in the greengrocers. And what may be the last of the Vacheron d'Or in the cheese shop.

The Horror! No-one in town had any smoked salmon, and I couldn't be arsed to go to the supermarket so I decided to go to the source - the smokehouse at Orford. Naturally I had to buy a bloater and some smoked cods roe also. I already had a trout and some smoked haddock from the fish van.

God knows how I'm going to polish all this lot off. 

Well the bloater met its maker last night along with some of the smoked cods roe. Some of the salmon went down the hatch this morning, and the lamb chops with a mass of broccoli tonight. I'd picked some rosemary but unaccountably left it on the countertop until I went to turn the chops over, so I tucked some of it under the chops and put a couple of sprigs on top.

They were absolutely delicious, especially the crackling, and there was enough fat run into the grillpan that  I tossed in a handful of peanuts and birdseed so the birds can share in the bounty tomorrow. I think actually the rosemary flavour was better this way than how I usually do it by putting the rosemary sprigs on top of the chops.

I think I may have to revert to eating two meals a day just to get the food all used up.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

It's A Hard Life Empty Re: It's A Hard Life

Post by Eddie Wed Mar 23 2016, 20:17

chris c wrote:but someone has to do it . . .

Went a bit over the top yesterday, the butcher had spring lamb in so I bought a couple of chops and a couple of slices of liver. Also some Toulouse sausages, and some ground pork as a change from my usual beef.

I bought a huge tree of broccoli and some multicoloured peppers and chillies and giant mushrooms in the greengrocers. And what may be the last of the Vacheron d'Or in the cheese shop.

The Horror! No-one in town had any smoked salmon, and I couldn't be arsed to go to the supermarket so I decided to go to the source - the smokehouse at Orford. Naturally I had to buy a bloater and some smoked cods roe also. I already had a trout and some smoked haddock from the fish van.

God knows how I'm going to polish all this lot off. 

Well the bloater met its maker last night along with some of the smoked cods roe. Some of the salmon went down the hatch this morning, and the lamb chops with a mass of broccoli tonight. I'd picked some rosemary but unaccountably left it on the countertop until I went to turn the chops over, so I tucked some of it under the chops and put a couple of sprigs on top.

They were absolutely delicious, especially the crackling, and there was enough fat run into the grillpan that  I tossed in a handful of peanuts and birdseed so the birds can share in the bounty tomorrow. I think actually the rosemary flavour was better this way than how I usually do it by putting the rosemary sprigs on top of the chops.

I think I may have to revert to eating two meals a day just to get the food all used up.

"The Horror! No-one in town had any smoked salmon"

Jeez Chris, it's at times like this I wonder how you cope, you are one tough dude rofl I would had a thrombie. mrgreen
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Mar 23 2016, 20:37

I can only afford all this stuff because of the cornflakes I no longer eat.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Wed Mar 23 2016, 21:33

chris c wrote:I can only afford all this stuff because of the cornflakes I no longer eat.

Come off it I'm not having that  Mad A 750g box of cornflakes using Sid's portion control = 17g would give you 44 breakfasts for the measly sum of £1.98
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Wed Mar 23 2016, 22:00

HaHaHaHa!! mrgreen Ol' Sid is certainly cheap to run eh!-A bit like one of those hybrid cars but noisier! rofl
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Wed Mar 23 2016, 22:12

Paul1976 wrote:HaHaHaHa!! mrgreen  Ol' Sid is certainly cheap to run eh!-A bit like one of those hybrid cars but noisier! rofl

I've underestimated the costs forgot the splash of semi skimmed still cheap though  Laughing
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Thu Mar 24 2016, 16:41

At the end of the day, everyone here is very lucky, we can all afford to eat well. That does not mean we have pots of money, but good healthy food can be got without spending high amounts of money. Since going low carb we spend far less on food than the old days. We only eat two meals per day and takeaways are a once per month treat of fish and a few chips. Cooking from scratch some meat or fish with three or four low carb vegetables rarely goes above two or three pounds per meal.

It is a complete myth to say low carb is expensive. I appreciate if you have kids the food bill is high, but think of it this way, if you can get kids eating real food from a very young age, hopefully they won't be spending their time on forums like this when they get older.

That being said, I fully appreciate, type one diabetes and other types has nothing to do with lifestyle or diet. It also must be stated, a low carb diet can have a monumental difference in long term outcomes and safe control for these people.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Mar 25 2016, 23:08

I'm down to one actual meal and a couple of snacks per day. Real Food is a damn sight cheaper than CIAB - Crap In A Box which I think was originally coined by Peter at Hyperlipid to describe animal lab diets but has since been applied to human food.
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Mon Mar 28 2016, 16:34

It can be expensive buying rasps, straws and blue berries and if you can find a cheap source of fish you are lucky.
    I guess it is a difficult problems to keep teenage boys filled without carbs. I am pleased I am not poor and have to use the local food bank.
    Derek
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Mar 28 2016, 20:30

To some extent I guess it depends where you live, here just downwind of Great Yarmuff fish is not so expensive, nor are many of the local foods when in season (currently waiting for the asparagus to emerge). Lamb on the other hand is often more expensive than venison, not that I begrudge the farmers finally getting a decent price for it. The local free range pork and bacon are relatively cheap and the grass fed local beef somewhere in between. Blueberries are mostly imported as are the strawbs out of season, but I use portion control <giggle>

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 11:53