THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+6
cold ethyl
Avocado Sevenfold
Paul1976
Jan1
zand
Eddie
10 posters

What foods do you lust after?

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

What foods do you lust after? Empty What foods do you lust after?

Post by Eddie Thu Sep 04 2014, 15:19

I reckon almost every low carber eats a food or foods now and again that blows BG numbers. I spend a lot of time on the South Coast and know a fantastic fish and chip shop. Once a month, I order up a cod not much smaller than Moby Dick, freshly cooked and covered in batter with a tiny amount of chips. I don't bother to waste a test strip, I know the BG number would be grim.

What do you lust after in the way of food, do you ever have a 'sod it' day, am I alone ? I need to be told LOL

Regards Eddie
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

What foods do you lust after? Empty Re: What foods do you lust after?

Post by zand Thu Sep 04 2014, 16:00

Roast potatoes, jacket potatoes, chips and crisps, oh vodka too.  So yes I'm a potatoholic and that's the thing that hurts the most.  I know vodka's not too bad for BG's, but the amount I would want to drink would be! The other thing is fruit, I have berries, but I would love to eat other fruits all day long.

Do I sometimes have a 'sod it' day?  Yes I do, usually it's most likely to happen when I'm out for a meal.  My worst in recent months became 6 'sod it' days in a 7 day holiday!  My downfall there was the beer and burgers.  I didn't realise I liked beer so much until I went to USA.  I now know to keep away from the beer Sad
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Thu Sep 04 2014, 17:11

My weakness is and always has been cheesecake .....my favourite is a slice I occasionally buy from Waitrose.  

Naughty YES,
    Decandant YES
    Nice YES

Oh well ...that's me ...how about you ?

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Thu Sep 04 2014, 17:25

Home made Sherry Trifle!!! affraid Once a year I do and I definitely pay for it when it knocks me out of ketosis and I have to endure 'Atkins Flu' all over again!!WELL tasty though!!

Also miss a real Italian Pizzeria restaurant Pizza done in the wood fired oven! Twisted Evil

Real ale too-only get to partake every now and then Crying or Very sad

@Eddie Fish and chips always tastes better by the sea for sure! Not been near the coast for a while though! You'll have to enjoy them on my behalf! lol
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Sep 04 2014, 17:38

To Paul and everyone sunny  Try out this lovely low carb trifle ....sherry optional LOL

What foods do you lust after? TRIFLE+2

Ingredients: Serves 6-8
    100 grams of ground almonds
    1 teaspoon of baking powder
    2 large eggs
    1 tablespoon of melted butter
    2 tablespoons of double cream
    A pack of frozen lowcarb summer fruits
    300ml of extra thick cream
    A handful of toasted flaked almonds
    2 x 12.5 grams of instant sugar free jelly crystals

Method to make the low carb sponge:

Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.

Melt the butter, I use a Pyrex jug, add the eggs, double cream, then add the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into a 6" x 2" microwave proof dish. Microwave in a 700watt for 3 minutes. Allow to cool and break up the sponge into small pieces.

Layer up in a Pyrex bowl ( 7" wide by 4" deep ) the fruit, and sponge. Pour over the lowcarb sugar free raspberry liquid jelly and allow to set. When set and about to serve, cover the top with extra thick cream and  toasted flaked almonds.

All the best Jan
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Thu Sep 04 2014, 17:47

I make trifle with spiced rum instead of sherry. Lower carb...probably Very Happy
    cold ethyl

Post by cold ethyl Thu Sep 04 2014, 19:39

Jacket potato, baked beans and cheese. Lived on them per diagnosis. One day I'll have one again and hide the meter.
    Fish and chips aren't too bad for me. Had a haddock and about 10 chips in Whitby and was at 7 after 2 hrs, and that was 2 hrs stuck in car so reckon 20mins peddling might have got me to my preferred under 6.5 at 2 hrs.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Sep 04 2014, 21:46

It seems potatoes are missed by some here and yes I always enjoyed a jacket potato with cheese and now I enjoy buttery mashed swede ......with a little grated cheese added.

'Cold Ethyl' I think you're fortunate to have your 'cycle machine' .....power to the legs Smile

All the best Jan
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Fri Sep 05 2014, 04:44

My favourite treat that I eat almost every day is mixed berries with double cream. Lush and I never tire of it - or of licking the bowl clean!
    clearviews
    clearviews

Post by clearviews Fri Sep 05 2014, 11:57

Cheesecake, trifle, pizza... Love them and all so easy to do in a full fat, low carb version. The almond meal or coconut flour bread I make are satisfying but find that I have lost the cravings for that.
    I can even make a type of Cheese Twisties out of egg whites and grated cheese oven baked until golden and crunchy. I buy slabs of pork skin from the butcher and take out from the freezer and slice the rolled up slabs partly frozen into "swiss roll" thin slices. Sprinkle with salt and caraway seeds and roast in a hot, dry, electric fry pan until golden and crunchy. My hubby and I snack on this all day until the pan is finished.

I still crave potato in every shape and form but just can't do it safely.
    Mud Island Dweller
    Mud Island Dweller

Female Posts : 228

Post by Mud Island Dweller Wed Sep 10 2014, 21:09

l am going to blow out on Christmas cake l love "proper" fruit cake and will also have a slice of Xmas pud with lashing of cream (thick) and brandy butter.

Although it may not happen because tonight Andy asked me to try a piece of his lemon meringue pie he made some mini ones for sale as he tried a new recipe not done before. Normally l wouldn't try anything since T2 but he looked so hang dog l did. I used to love it but so long since l had sweet anything l was the wrong person to ask and l had literally a small section less than a cm of pastry with a tiny section of the lemon curd and merange and was way to much for me so goodness knows how l will do on the Xmas Cake and Pudding Sad
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Sep 11 2014, 08:24

MID ....just read about the lemon meringue pie, not had one in years and my mum used to make a lovely pie served with whipped cream. Her apple pies were good too.

I do love cheesecake - fortunately there are some good low carb versions around.

Any one else got any food lusts ?

All the best Janl
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Sep 12 2014, 22:11

Last night had some lovely Roast Beef, with Yorkshire Pudding, and a great selection of vegetables .......can still taste it. It was cooked to perfection. Smile

Funny how some stick to a roast on Sundays - what's wrong with Thursdays or any day?

Now what would be your ideal pudding / dessert to follow ?

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Fri Sep 12 2014, 22:14

Jan1 wrote:Last night had some lovely Roast Beef, with Yorkshire Pudding, and a great selection of vegetables .......can still taste it. It was cooked to perfection. Smile

Funny how some stick to a roast on Sundays - what's wrong with Thursdays or any day?

All the best Jan

That's what I had tonight Jan! Both sons were home so I find a roast meal is an easy way to keep everyone happy. My dessert was raspberries and cream but the others had cookies! Mine was much nicer. Very Happy
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Sep 12 2014, 22:21

zand wrote:
    Jan1 wrote:Last night had some lovely Roast Beef, with Yorkshire Pudding, and a great selection of vegetables .......can still taste it. It was cooked to perfection. Smile

All the best Jan

That's what I had tonight Jan!  Both sons were home so I find a roast meal is an easy way to keep everyone happy.  My dessert was raspberries and cream but the others had cookies! Mine was much nicer. Very Happy

Raspberries and Cream sound delicious to me to sunny

Does anyone else agree, or would you choose something different ?

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Sep 25 2014, 21:02

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:I make trifle with spiced rum instead of sherry.  Lower carb...probably Very Happy

This thread was / is about foods we lust after but reading through various posts I spotted this from A S and thought ....what a good idea.....I may have to get some spiced rum Smile

.......However, passing the freshly baked cakes in my Sainsbury's today I spotted some lovely looking jam doughnuts sprinkled quite liberally with sugar affraid

I resisted the temptation and bought some blueberries and double cream  flower

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Thu Sep 25 2014, 23:09

Donuts, Ginsters Cornish Pasties, Frazzles, Pukka Pies, crusty seeded bloomer, tobelerone.........
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Sep 26 2014, 10:40

Yes Ginsters do make 'exceedingly good' pasties and chicken and mushroom slices .......

Toblerone - I can recall the delicious taste ......

But my lovely breakfast of low carb sausages, mushrooms and a fried egg tasted great and did me far more good.  lol!

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 11:47