THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+3
Paul1976
mo1905
Jan1
7 posters

Vegetables and Foods To Aid Better Health

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Vegetables and Foods To Aid Better Health Empty Vegetables and Foods To Aid Better Health

Post by Jan1 Sat Oct 04 2014, 14:03

As Hippocrates said "Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." It's a good thought and so true:

Every day our joints get a serious workout and they can easily become stressed, resulting in pain and inflammation. I think by eating the right foods, we can help ourselves to keep our joints in the best of shape, ensuring we do our best to retain pain-free mobility .... not always easy the older we get.

From what I've read, and personal experience, I think these next few foods can assist us in keeping joints as healthy as possible.

Red peppers
    Contain Vitamin C which is an absolute essential for healthy joints, as it aids the production of collagen, part of the cartilage, tendons and ligaments that help to prevent joint wear and tear. Red peppers are particularly high in this vitamin.

Salmon
    You've no doubt read about oily fish having many wonderful health-giving properties. It's the Omega 3 fatty acids they contain...... this can help reduce swelling and discomfort in the joints.

Walnuts
    Eat a few walnuts a day (if you have no nut allergies), because they contain very healthy nutrients. When it comes to joints it is the alpha-linolenic acid which is great ( a type of omega-3 fatty acid) and can help to fight inflammation. Walnuts also contain fibre, calcium and vitamin E so a good mix of nutrients.

Leafy greens
    Leafy greens, which are a low carbers and diabetics best friend. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale for instance are full with good nutrients, most notably vitamin C, which helps combat the damage to the joints associated with ageing, plus calcium, magnesium and vitamin K for strong bones.

Olive oil
    Well the health benefits of the Mediterranean diet regularly make the news, and olive oil can play a particularly important role when it comes to the joints. I think Olive oil is a must have for everyone, but particularly the low carber or diabetics food cupboard. It contains a compound called olecanthal, which prevents the production of pro-inflammatory enzymes, meaning it works in much the same way as anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen. Food better than drugs, surely? So if you already suffer with stiff or uncomfortable joints, olive oil may just help to ease the pain.

I'm not a medical person so can only share what I've found from reading various articles and my own personal experience. Indeed, I think there are many more great foods that can help us to better health. We are fortunate to have such a great food choice in this country (the UK), it's a shame that sometimes you still hear people say UGH 'I'm not eating that'.

Enjoy your food ......choose wisely and let it improve your health.  sunny

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Vegetables and Foods To Aid Better Health Empty Re: Vegetables and Foods To Aid Better Health

Post by mo1905 Mon Oct 06 2014, 12:32

Great post Jan. I've also read about great health benefits from cinnamon and coconut oil. I believe many of todays illness's and conditions can be treated or at least helped by what nature provides us.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Vegetables and Foods To Aid Better Health Empty Re: Vegetables and Foods To Aid Better Health

Post by Paul1976 Mon Oct 06 2014, 13:26

Tumeric too I believe has anti cancer properties which sounds good to me as I use a fair bit in my curries. Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Oct 06 2014, 17:09

There are so many good foods available to us that can help us to better health. There is probably an A-Z of foods and herbs with their related good health properties. However, for day to day use the five I listed were a start but interesting you've mentioned cinnamon and coconut oil Mo. When growing up at the first hint of a cold my mum would warm up some milk and add a little cinnamon - it seemed to do the trick. I'm told that Coconut oil, or coconut milk is full of goodness too.

Tumeric is not a herb I generally use Paul - I must give it a try. I looked up 'Worlds Healthiest Foods' and it said 'Turmeric has long been used as a powerful anti-inflammatory in both the Chinese and Indian systems of medicine.'

Like you said Mo I also 'believe many of todays illness's and conditions can be treated or at least helped by what nature provides us.'

It helps to eat whole fresh foods. Has anyone else got any favourite healthy foods or herbs?

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Mon Oct 06 2014, 17:19

I like green tea (particularly with mint) and also nettle tea along with most of those foods and herbs you've all already mentioned.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Oct 06 2014, 17:20

zand wrote:I like green tea (particularly with mint) and also nettle tea along with most of those foods and herbs you've all already mentioned.

This might seem a silly question but do you add milk to green tea or nettle tea?

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Mon Oct 06 2014, 17:25

Jan1 wrote: Has anyone else got any favourite healthy foods or herbs?

All the best Jan

Another one for me would be Blueberries,apparently a good food to help ward off prostrate cancer in us fellas-as well as being a lower carb fruit choice to mix in my breakfast yoghurt. Smile
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Mon Oct 06 2014, 17:28

Jan1 wrote:
    zand wrote:I like green tea (particularly with mint) and also nettle tea along with most of those foods and herbs you've all already mentioned.

This might seem a silly question but do you add milk to green tea or nettle tea?

All the best Jan

No, that's another reason I like it, it cuts down my carb intake. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I first tried nettle tea 6 years ago. It helped when my kidney function wasn't very good. I love green tea too it didn't take me so long to get used to the taste of that one.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Oct 06 2014, 20:26

@Paul ....Blueberries are great, my daughter in law gets hers from Lidl and they are so much cheaper. They have to be the number one low carb fruit I think.

@Zand ....Thanks for coming back to me re the milk. If certain teas aid health problems then that's got to be good. I know camomile tea is popular too.
    Me, I tend to prefer my cuppa with milk though, and the 4% full fat ..but I agree if you have to be careful with carbs you don't need too much. The choice is yours as the saying goes......Smile

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Mon Oct 06 2014, 20:48

@Zand ....Thanks for coming back to me re the milk. If certain teas aid health problems then that's got to be good. I know camomile tea is popular too.
    Me, I tend to prefer my cuppa with milk though, and the 4% full fat ..but I agree if you have to be careful with carbs you don't need too much. The choice is yours as the saying goes......Smile

All the best Jan[/quote]

Yes I agree, my morning cuppa has to be a 'real' cup of tea with whole milk. I'm not human until I've had my cup of tea.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Oct 06 2014, 22:29

Quote Zand .... "Yes I agree, my morning cuppa has to be a 'real' cup of tea with whole milk. I'm not human until I've had my cup of tea."... unquote

I agree that morning cuppa is the most important drink of the day. (Although coffee lovers may argue against)

My night time cuppa is important too - I'll just go and put the kettle on.....then I may just sit and chill ...........another aid to good health I think. Good foods and chilling/relaxation can't be bad.

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Feb 04 2016, 18:10

Jan1 wrote:As Hippocrates said "Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." It's a good thought and so true:

Every day our joints get a serious workout and they can easily become stressed, resulting in pain and inflammation. I think by eating the right foods, we can help ourselves to keep our joints in the best of shape, ensuring we do our best to retain pain-free mobility .... not always easy the older we get.

From what I've read, and personal experience, I think these next few foods can assist us in keeping joints as healthy as possible.

Red peppers
    Contain Vitamin C which is an absolute essential for healthy joints, as it aids the production of collagen, part of the cartilage, tendons and ligaments that help to prevent joint wear and tear. Red peppers are particularly high in this vitamin.

Salmon
    You've no doubt read about oily fish having many wonderful health-giving properties. It's the Omega 3 fatty acids they contain...... this can help reduce swelling and discomfort in the joints.

Walnuts
    Eat a few walnuts a day (if you have no nut allergies), because they contain very healthy nutrients. When it comes to joints it is the alpha-linolenic acid which is great ( a type of omega-3 fatty acid) and can help to fight inflammation. Walnuts also contain fibre, calcium and vitamin E so a good mix of nutrients.

Leafy greens
    Leafy greens, which are a low carbers and diabetics best friend. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale for instance are full with good nutrients, most notably vitamin C, which helps combat the damage to the joints associated with ageing, plus calcium, magnesium and vitamin K for strong bones.

Olive oil
    Well the health benefits of the Mediterranean diet regularly make the news, and olive oil can play a particularly important role when it comes to the joints. I think Olive oil is a must have for everyone, but particularly the low carber or diabetics food cupboard. It contains a compound called olecanthal, which prevents the production of pro-inflammatory enzymes, meaning it works in much the same way as anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen. Food better than drugs, surely? So if you already suffer with stiff or uncomfortable joints, olive oil may just help to ease the pain.

I'm not a medical person so can only share what I've found from reading various articles and my own personal experience. Indeed, I think there are many more great foods that can help us to better health. We are fortunate to have such a great food choice in this country (the UK), it's a shame that sometimes you still hear people say UGH 'I'm not eating that'.

Enjoy your food ......choose wisely and let it improve your health.  sunny

All the best Jan

Yes, this is a bumped post !
    Sometimes it is good to re-read older posts, and there are a great many posts that members have placed on the Forum.  Smile

The foods mentioned above all have a theme ... and that is to assist in keeping our joints in good health  sunny

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Feb 04 2016, 18:19

We just love red peppers, there is something cheerful about them, and do you know one cup equals close to 300% of your daily Vitamin C requirement! Why not include red peppers on your shopping list ... or are you already? They may also help to keep your joints healthy, see post above!

Vegetables and Foods To Aid Better Health Red%2Bpepper%2BJ%255B1%255D

Vegetables and Foods To Aid Better Health Bell%2Bpepper%2Bchart

Vegetables and Foods To Aid Better Health Sicilianbakedredpeppers

Take this recipe idea, it will serve three as a starter or six as a side dish.

Sicilian Baked Red Peppers

Really flavour-some olives are essential here.
    It’s best to buy them whole and remove the stones yourself.

Ingredients:
    3 large red peppers, washed
    3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus a little extra
    12 vine cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
    1 small red chilli, washed, deseeded and finely chopped
    2 tsp baby capers, drained and rinsed
    9 black olives, pitted and halved
    125 g ball buffalo mozzarella, drained and diced (optional)
    1 handful small fresh basil leaves, washed, to garnish

Method:
    Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Cut the peppers in half through the stalks and remove the core and seeds. Lay cut-side up in a lightly oiled shallow roasting tin.

Divide the halved tomatoes, garlic slices, chopped chilli, capers, olives and half the mozzarella, if using, between the pepper halves and drizzle half a tablespoon of the oil into each one.

Season well and bake for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and, if using, divide the remaining mozzarella between the peppers. Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes until the cheese has melted slightly.

Lift the peppers out of the tin on to a warm serving platter, spoon over the juices from the tin and scatter with basil leaves.

(5.6g carbohydrate per serving)

This recipe with links also here

All the best Jan
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Thu Feb 04 2016, 19:02

those peppers look lush Smile
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Feb 04 2016, 23:48

There's only one thing better than red peppers and that's red, green and yellow peppers. They each have a slightly but subtly different flavour. Less often available are the orange ones.

In New Zealand they didn't say "five a day" they  said "five colours a day". From that point of view I think of salmon and prawns as honorary vegetables as they contain astaxanthin, the pink colour, and liver which has hordes of vitamins and other goodies. Also 85% chocolate.

Wasn't there a thread on the flog called "Eat The Rainbow"?
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Feb 05 2016, 11:58

As Chris said "There's only one thing better than red peppers and that's red, green and yellow peppers. They each have a slightly but subtly different flavour. Less often available are the orange ones."

Agree - I always (well nearly always) have peppers in the kitchen ready to be used!

Well as the original article listed:
    Red Peppers
    Salmon
    Walnuts
    Leafy Greens
    Olive Oil

and today is a Friday !

Here is a Salmon Recipe Idea sunny  

Vegetables and Foods To Aid Better Health Salmon-basil%2Bsauce

Salmon with Basil Cream Sauce

A wonderful dish ...
    Ingredients
    Salmon:
    4 salmon steaks (6 oz each)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
    Sauce:
    20 fresh basil leaves
    1/3 cup dry white wine
    2 cloves garlic
    1 cup heavy (double) cream
    1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    2 tbsp unsalted (raw grass-fed) butter
    Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Directions
    1. Preheat grill to high.
    2. Rinse salmon under cold water, drain, and blot dry. Brush salmon on both sides with olive oil. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
    3. Combine basil, wine, and garlic in a blender and process until a smooth puree forms. Transfer to a small heavy saucepan. Stir in cream.
    4. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, taking care not to let cream boil over. Stir frequently for 10–15 minutes, until sauce is reduced by half. Add butter and lemon juice, continuing to stir. Once the butter is incorporated into the cream mixture, remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm.
    5. Grill salmon until it just starts to fully flake. Remove from heat. Spoon sauce over salmon and serve.

Salmon is one of our favourites, and this recipe just lends itself to being served on a bed of spinach.
    However, you may prefer to serve yours with something else ... the choice is yours.

Recipe featured here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/salmon-with-basil-cream-sauce.html

And here
    https://lowcarbdiabetic.forumotion.co.uk/t1315p20-interesting-nutrition-facts-about-fish-and-some-recipe-ideas

All the best Jan
    Sharon

Post by Sharon Fri Feb 05 2016, 12:49

fish dish looks good . i use red and yellow peppers in ratatouille . also lots of other vegetables . white fish with ratatouille is good .
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Feb 06 2016, 19:00

Sharon wrote:fish dish looks good . i use red and yellow peppers in ratatouille . also lots of other vegetables . white fish with ratatouille is good .

Isn't ratatouille a great dish to accompany fish or meat ... you could almost eat it on it's own!

A Classic French Ratatouille !

Vegetables and Foods To Aid Better Health Recipe-image-legacy-id--51579_11

If anyone's looking for a recipe, just get these ingredients

Ingredients:

Serves Four
    2 large aubergines
    4 small courgettes
    2 red or yellow peppers
    4 large ripe tomatoes
    5 tbsp olive oil
    supermarket pack or small bunch basil
    1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
    3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
    1 tbsp red wine vinegar
    1 tsp sugar (any kind or use your preferred sweetener)

and have a look here

http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/a-classic-french-ratatouille.html

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Jun 05 2016, 09:42

Vegetables and Foods To Aid Better Health 573ec7401a00008800c291ed

The article said
    "Swap these superfoods for your usual food choices and you’ll feel an immediate, sustained and entirely natural increase in your energy levels."

Many (not the sweet potato) of these foods are already on our usual menu plans

How about you?

Article link from here
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/good-foods-for-an-energy-boost_uk_5710c3ade4b0f22f0219850f?icid=maing-grid7%7Cukt1%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D465482

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Jul 23 2016, 18:47

I happened to read a post on 'Primal Docs' site and thought it might interest some readers, as it's to do with vegetables thought it be perfect for this thread ...

The post title is '12 easy ways to eat more veggies'

Here is a snippet from the post ... what do you think?

"“One man’s food is another man’s poison”.

With that being said, here are a dozen daily ways to treat yourself to good health, starting this summer!

 Asparagus: Saute in butter or coconut oil with garlic and a hit of lemon zest for a refreshing and seasonal dish. Roasted asparagus is a great finger food for snacking on!

Broccoli and Cauliflower: you can eat them raw (with a cashew cheese dip if you like) or lightly steamed, braised as a side dish, in a salad or even a slaw.

 Carrots: Sweet, crunchy, good for your teeth, eyes and heart! Perfect raw (as a snack or salad) or cooked in soups.

 Bell Peppers: Green, red, yellow, orange or even purple! Enjoy peppers in a salad, stir-fry, stuffed or casserole and even as a snack.

 Spinach: A salad of baby spinach leaves with roasted beets and pecan can turn anyone into a real spinach lover. Add to it some Gorgonzola cheese and red onion and you are going to have a “to die for” salad.

 Onions: The zesty onion family (scallions, leeks and garlic, too!) offer some powerful antioxidant nutrients. Add them to salads, marinades for meats and soups.

 Peas: Fresh, frozen or even canned (BPA free only), peas are a treat to eat and they are very popular with small children. A GAPS approved starchy food as well.

 Beets: If you’ve never liked beets, try them in a new way – like roasted, grilled or lightly steamed. They act as anti-inflammatory food by increasing (inflammation-fighting) nitric oxide.

 Mushrooms: Just a mushroom or two adds rich flavor to a casserole, soup, stew, stir-fry or even a tossed green salad. My favorite is grilled Portobello Mushrooms.

 Leafy greens and romaine lettuce: Rule of thumb for a healthy salad – the darker green or red the lettuce leaves, the more nutrients you get. Go for some arugula and dandelion greens.

 Green, yellow or purple beans: Like their pea ‘cousins,’ beans offer some fiber and a little bit of protein, along with vitamins and minerals, without the starch of the dry beans.

 Tomatoes: Cooking increases the availability of some tomato phyto-nutrients, such as lycopene – so enjoy them cooked in sauces and soup, as well as raw in salads."

To find out who wrote the article, and perhaps read more,  see here
    http://www.mihaelatelecan.com/12-easy-ways-to-eat-more-veggies/

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Jul 24 2016, 23:41

Oh dammit, ANOTHER interesting looking blog! It's getting that I'll have to employ someone to read them for me.

Yes I routinely eat all of the above, except beets which I've never liked, and I seldom eat carrots and then not the tender small ones which can do a number on my BG, I made them laugh in the veg shop when I asked for "Linford Christies" which I use in casseroles with pheasant, rabbit or chicken.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Dec 15 2017, 18:19

Some Healthy Winter Vegetables

Jillian Kubala MS RD writes:
    The 10 Healthiest Winter Vegetables
    "Eating in season is a breeze in the spring and summer, but it can prove to be challenging when cold weather sets in. However, some vegetables can survive the cold, even under a blanket of snow. These are known as winter vegetables, due to their ability to withstand cold, harsh weather. These cold-hardy varieties can withstand frosty temperatures due to the higher amount of sugar that they contain. The sugar found in the water of winter vegetables causes them to freeze at a lower point, which allows them to survive in cold weather. Additionally, this process results in cold-hardy vegetables tasting sweeter in the cooler months, making winter the optimal time for harvest. This article takes a look at ten of the healthiest winter vegetables and why you should include them in your diet.

Kale
    Kale is a cold-hardy, leafy green vegetable that contains an impressive amount of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.

Brussels Sprouts
    Brussels sprouts are packed with nutrients and are especially rich in vitamin K. They are high in alpha-lipoic acid, an antioxidant that may benefit people with diabetes.

Carrots
    Carrots thrive in colder weather. They are packed with vitamin A and powerful antioxidants that may help protect against certain diseases like prostate and breast cancer.

Swiss Chard
    Swiss chard is very low in calories yet packed with vitamins and minerals. It also contains antioxidants that may help reduce the risk of heart disease.

Parsnips
    Parsnips are highly nutritious root vegetables that contain an impressive amount of soluble fibre, which has been linked to many health benefits.

Collard Greens
    Collard greens have a slightly bitter flavour and are packed with nutrients. They are especially high in calcium and vitamin K, which are important for healthy bones.

Rutabagas/Swede
    Rutabagas (swede) are root vegetables that are high in vitamin C and potassium. Increasing your potassium intake may lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.

Red Cabbage
    Red cabbage is packed with nutrients including vitamins A, C and K. It also contains anthocyanins, which may protect against heart disease and certain cancers.

Radishes
    Radishes are an excellent source of vitamins B and C as well as potassium. Additionally, they contain isothiocyanates, which may have cancer-fighting abilities.

Parsley
    Parsley is a cold-tolerant green that is rich in nutrients. It also contains the plant chemicals luteolin and apigenin, which may promote brain health.

The Bottom Line
    There are several vegetables that thrive in colder weather. Certain types of vegetables, like carrots and parsnips, even take on a sweeter taste after being exposed to frost. These cold-hardy vegetables make it possible to fill your diet with seasonal, nutrient-packed produce all winter long. While any vegetable from this list would make a highly nutritious addition to your diet, there are many other winter vegetables that make great choices as well. After all, adding any fresh produce to your diet will go a long way toward promoting your health."

The above is only a snippet of Jillian's article to read it in full with all relevant links please see here
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/healthiest-winter-vegetables

For even more details about vegetables you can always have a look at The World's Healthiest Foods website here.
    http://www.whfoods.com/
    It is a leading source of information and expert on the Healthiest Way of Eating and Cooking, it is a not-for-profit foundation with no commercial interests or advertising. Its mission is to help you eat and cook the healthiest way for optimal health.

All the best Jan

N.B. It is important to note, not all these vegetables may be suitable for you. If you may have any food allergies, or underlying health issues these must always be taken into account, and of course, if you are a diabetic and not sure how certain foods may affect your blood sugars, test is best, i.e. use your meter.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Dec 17 2017, 23:28

Make sure you eat them with meat, a true "superfood".

Try Ted Naiman's MEAL diet - Meat, Eggs And Leaves, and I think it was Michael Joseph

http://nutritionadvance.com

who pointed out the nutritional content of meat and greens in combination. Liver and greens, even better!
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Jan 11 2018, 19:18

We just love vegetables ... with our meat and fish.  Smile

According to a news item today
    "Fruit and veg 'often cheaper packaged rather than loose at major supermarkets'"

Major supermarkets are selling plastic-packaged fruit and vegetables for less than customers can buy them loose, an investigation has found.

MoneySavingExpert.com (MSE) found at least half of the produce it checked at local branches of Asda, Lidl, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and Tesco was between 10% and 54% cheaper to buy wrapped in single-use plastic rather than loose.

It comes as the Government's long-awaited 25-year environment plan proposed to encourage supermarkets to introduce "plastic-free" aisles.

MSE said in some cases, some supermarkets were effectively penalising customers for trying to help the environment by buying produce sold loose.

Six Gala apples sold in packaging at Asda cost £1.25 compared with the same amount and type for £1.92 sold loose - a 54% price difference - while a three-pack of courgettes cost £1.20 packaged up and 35% more when bought loose at £1.62.

At Lidl, a three-pack of mixed peppers cost 95p but £1.44 sold loose, a five-pack of oranges cost 95p but £1.50 sold loose and two avocados packaged together were sold for £1.75 but were £1.98 when bought loose.

At Morrisons, limes, oranges and Gala apples were all cheaper packaged.

Sainsbury's sold five bananas for 10p more when bought loose, six Granny Smith apples for 45p more loose, as well as three peppers for 27% less when packaged.

At Tesco, bananas and peppers were cheaper packaged, with only Waitrose proving cheaper for all the fresh produce included in the survey which was loose rather than packaged.

Gary Caffell, deals editor at MSE, said: "With household budgets stretched, groceries are one of the main expenses that consumers are always looking to save on. It seems ridiculous that packaged fruit and veg can ever be cheaper than loose, and it certainly won't help to win the war on plastic waste.

"From a money-saving point of view, don't assume that loose fruit and vegetables bought at the supermarket is always cheaper and be sure to compare the price tags, paying close attention to the price per kilogram if the produce is sold by weight."

Words taken from article here
    https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2018/01/11/fruit-and-veg-often-cheaper-packaged-rather-than-loose-at-major/

Yes, I have found that loose vegetables are often more expensive, but sometimes you may only need or want a single item so does it come down to the shoppers choice?
    Just a thought ...

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Jan 15 2018, 20:11

We are blessed to have not one but TWO greengrocers in town, plus the farm shops. I always get my veggies loose and put them in brown paper bags which can either be recycled or go in the compost.

Some of the bags are very low quality though and split when you try to put something into them. Quite unbelievable that they can't even make paper bags properly nowadays. Or maybe not Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 13:40