THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

"Trust a dietitian" Follow the money first.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

"Trust a dietitian" Follow the money first. Empty "Trust a dietitian" Follow the money first.

Post by Eddie Mon Sep 07 2015, 12:46

"Trust a dietitian" Follow the money first.

In the UK, The British Dietetic Association have been running a campaign to raise the profiles of UK dietitians with the strap line ""Trust a dietitian" for a considerable time. That implies to me they are suffering from an image problem. Let's face it, you don't see an association of professional pilots, saying "Trust A Pilot" When I board a commercial airliner, it never enters my head whether I should be trusting the pilot, I take it as read, he or she is highly competent, full stop.

Let's get one thing straight, over the years I have met some truly fantastic dietitians and nutritionists, highly knowledgeable, highly ethical and the well-being of their patients or clients is the number one priority. They did not ask me to trust them, why would they? I have never met a Doctor who pleaded with me to trust him or her. Get my drift. That being said, I have reasons to not want to trust many dietitians I have encountered. Far too many times I have seen information and articles, from dietitians urging me to consume a food, that has proved to be a serious health hazard to me and countless millions, namely sugar

"Don't fall for the sugar witch hunt. vDietDoc explains why we need carbohydrates in our diet and why demonising sugar and carbohydrates is not useful or accurate. Currently there is a relentless campaign against the use of even a single grain of sugar in our diet. The proponents of this “sugar witch-hunt” are as fanatical as any Medieval Crusader and probably just as misguided."

So says Dr Ingrid van Heerden a registered dietitian in an article at Health24 which can be found here. http://www.health24.com/Lifestyle/Healthy-you/Why-we-need-sugar-20150903

No ambiguity there, go against big sugar and you are a fanatic and misguided. Let's not forget sugar has zero useful nutrients, and the epidemics of obesity and it's often linked type two diabetes. Many of the worlds leading experts on obesity, including Dr. Robert Lustig believe sugar has played a major role in aforementioned health disasters.

I found myself asking, does Dr Ingrid van Heerden have any interest in promoting sugar. My first search on Google found this information from The Glutamate Advisory Council of South Africa. Who say "MSG is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, which is an amino acid found in most proteins. It is produced by a natural fermentation process from sugar and molasses, sugar beet, starch or corm sugar" And you guessed it, Dr Ingrid van Heerden, Registered Dietician is the Chairman of the Professional Panel of the Glutamate Advisory Council of South Africa.

By all means trust a dietitian, but first check them out and if they are involved in junk food, which so many are, give them a wide berth. BTW I am not a dietitian and I have nothing to sell. Consider my free advice, keep well away from sugar and I personally would not touch a food containing MSG with a ten foot pole.

Link to the MSG information here.  http://www.foxisnax.co.za/news-updates-2/monosodium-glutamate-msg.html

Information on lack of nutrients in sugar here. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5592/2

Have a good week.
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

"Trust a dietitian" Follow the money first. Empty Re: "Trust a dietitian" Follow the money first.

Post by zand Mon Sep 07 2015, 13:02

Years back, before I was T2, my blood pressure was extremely high.  The doctor asked if I would like an appointment with a dietician.  I said Yes, but I never got one.  When I enquired at the surgery they said they weren't going to refer me, so I paid to go to a nutritionist instead.  This wasn't by any means a perfect solution, some of what I learnt there was good, some was bad; but it did set me on  the right track as regards working out for myself that carbs were bad.  I already knew that sugar was bad, I really don't know why they keep trying to promote the stuff.

Well, I do, don't I?  Money.

Edit: Looks like it's a good job I never got that dietician's appointment Smile
    chris c
    chris c

"Trust a dietitian" Follow the money first. Empty Re: "Trust a dietitian" Follow the money first.

Post by chris c Mon Sep 07 2015, 20:53

Eddie wrote:Let's face it, you don't see an association of professional pilots, saying "Trust A Pilot" When I board a commercial airliner, it never enters my head whether I should be trusting the pilot, I take it as read, he or she is highly competent, full stop.

Well you might

"Trust a dietitian" Follow the money first. Flight10

But seriously though folks, I was brought up to judge people not on who they are but on what they do.

I find it impossible to trust people who have not only presided over the "epidemics" of obesity and diabetes, not to mention all the other "diseases of civilisation" but who are too clueless to see that when people follow their recommendations exactly, a lot of them get worse, and that when people do the exact opposite of what they are told they mysteriously get better again.

I've been waiting over ten years now to read of a credible diabetic who followed their dietician's recommendations and improved their health. Likewise I'm still waiting to see the first case of scurvy, halitosis and constipation resulting from not eating enough starch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07 2024, 21:34