THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+22
Indy51
RANDBURG
Dillinger
beardie
Avocado Sevenfold
Andy12345
Eddie
graham64
Karen
Sally
Sharon
Meredith
Sarah
sanguine
Paul1976
OldTech
zand
clearviews
cold ethyl
horfilmania
Scandichic
mo1905
26 posters

What did you have for dinner tonight?

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

What did you have for dinner tonight? - Page 2 Empty Re: What did you have for dinner tonight?

Post by Jan1 Fri Sep 05 2014, 21:10

cold ethyl wrote:Beef stew with shallots, bacon, mushrooms, served with mashed swede, few carrots and peas, broccoli.

Sounds lovely.  Smile

I had originally thought to make a Chilli tonight but changed my mind.

Instead, we had a pork casserole with added mushrooms, courgettes, green and yellow peppers ..... served with some cabbage and mashed swede. It tasted lovely.

All the best Jan
    cold ethyl

What did you have for dinner tonight? - Page 2 Empty Re: What did you have for dinner tonight?

Post by cold ethyl Fri Sep 05 2014, 21:13

Even though it was sunny today it was a stew sort of evening. Nights turning much cooler so the stews and curries will be more in evidence. The one downside of losing some weight is that my Geordie blood appears to have deserted me and I can feel the cold.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Sep 05 2014, 21:20

cold ethyl wrote:Even though it was sunny today it was a stew sort of evening. Nights turning much cooler so the stews and curries will be more in evidence. The one downside of losing some weight is that my Geordie blood appears to have deserted me and I can feel the cold.

I have to agree with you - the nights are turning cooler and it's getting dark that much earlier. Autumn is here but then so is good food like stews, casseroles ......you can't beat them. The one thing that is so good is the aroma around the kitchen - so inviting Smile

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Sep 07 2014, 17:48

Well, I know Sunday Lunch or Dinner should perhaps be a Roast of some good tasting meat ... but tonight (ahead of Strictly Come Dancing) we are going to have one of our favourites.

A simple Mediterranean Style Chicken Bake and it's already smelling nice. You can see the recipe I use in the low carb recipe section....  Smile

What did you have for Sunday Lunch or Dinner ?

All the best Jan
    cold ethyl

Post by cold ethyl Sun Sep 07 2014, 18:14

Tonight's offering was belly pork cooked for hours in slow cooker with a sliced onion, sliced apple , sage and cyder vinegar, bit of stock then a sprinkle of gravy granules to thicken slightly( not too much as very carby) with roast swede and potatoes( had one very small one as a treat), few carrots, cauli cheese and peas for them that likes them( so that'll be not me then). Followed by an apple and blackberry crumble topped with almond flour topping and some thick Greek yogurt. Only small portions for me as Metformin has reduced my appetite.
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sun Sep 07 2014, 20:29

I had a roast dinner today for a change.  I suspect I had been subliminally influenced by Fanny Cradock who has been on the Food Network channel all day talking sternly about Christmas roast dinners.  The only thing I learned was that if you put green coloured marzipan holly leaves on ANY food, it will look like Christmas 1975  santa

My effort was green lentil and mushroom roast with veg (roast courgette, pepper, sundried tomatoes, pine nuts, feta and thyme) with a blob of minty tofu dip.  

Pudding was a ginger almond muffin with caramel flavoured whipped cream.

What did you have for dinner tonight? - Page 2 2vjwoeo

What did you have for dinner tonight? - Page 2 2s79a3d
    cold ethyl

Post by cold ethyl Sun Sep 07 2014, 23:01

That muffin looks lush. I really enjoyed my almondy crumble topping and BS was on my at 5.3 2hrs post prandially so an ok treat.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 17 2014, 18:39

Dinner tonight is pork casserole with leeks, carrot and mushrooms added.

Served with some cabbage and mashed swede.

It's smelling lovely in the kitchen - just off to serve up. sunny

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Wed Sep 17 2014, 19:57

Dinner! I knew I'd forgotten something! Bye for now. Smile
    cold ethyl

Post by cold ethyl Wed Sep 17 2014, 20:04

Chicken faijtas in iceberg lettuce wraps with crunchy stir fried peppers and onions, jalapeños and hot pepper sauce. Mouth still burning.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Wed Sep 17 2014, 20:05

Nothing yet sadly-It's all kicking off at home and it's wrecked my appetite big style...will have to make up for it at breakfast tomorrow hopefully.
    cold ethyl

Post by cold ethyl Wed Sep 17 2014, 20:15

Oh dear. I find arguments and stress make me eat more not less. Hence why I got so fat and diabetic in first place.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Wed Sep 17 2014, 20:26

Now with me it depends who I'm arguing with and what about. I used to eat more, but now I tend to forget to eat.......I've had a difficult day/evening too Paul! Here's to breakfast then. Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 17 2014, 20:39

cold ethyl wrote:Chicken faijtas in iceberg lettuce wraps with crunchy stir fried peppers and onions, jalapeños and hot pepper sauce. Mouth still burning.

Sounds a great tasting meal .....iceberg lettuce as wraps are brilliant. Do you have a glass of water (or something stronger) close by when eating hot hot hot pepper sauce?

All the best Jan
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Wed Sep 17 2014, 20:44

eggs and bacon woohoo i was late in and thats my fall back dinner hehe ive gone off omelettes a little for some reason
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 17 2014, 20:45

Andy12345 wrote:eggs and bacon woohoo i was late in and thats my fall back dinner hehe ive gone off omelettes a little for some reason

Just love eggs and bacon ....perhaps Paul and Zand may have that at breakfast to make up for their upset evening ?

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Wed Sep 17 2014, 20:47

Bacon maybe, I so wish I liked eggs, but that's a very long boring story.......
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Wed Sep 17 2014, 20:48

zand wrote:Now with me it depends who I'm arguing with and what about.  I used to eat more, but now I tend to forget to eat.......I've had a difficult day/evening too Paul!  Here's to breakfast then. Smile

I'm the same and my stomach is in knots so a full english at the pub/hotel is on the cards-Here's to Brekkie indeed! cheers
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 17 2014, 21:12

zand wrote:Bacon maybe, I so wish I liked eggs, but that's a very long boring story.......

How about bacon with mushrooms and some low carb sausages?

Dare I ask are you allergic to eggs or ???

One of the grandchildren can not eat eggs due to an allergy but the Dr suggests checking again because you can 'grow out' of allergies .....we'll see. There is plenty of other great tasting non sugary/starchy foods to eat.

How about some cheese for supper with a few slices of cucumber .......

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Wed Sep 17 2014, 21:25

Yes cheese and cucumber is a great idea, thanks, I'm not really up to thinking for myself right now.

Eggs, OK this is a story that some people have heard already at the other place. ( it's a bit boring)

When I was a child we had a small farm. We had hens (some free range and some battery I'm afraid) When I was about 8 my Mum sent me to collect the eggs. I copied what she usually did and carried 15 dozen at once (that's 6 trays) the inevitable happened and I dropped them. Only 2 survived intact and about 30 were OK to sell as cracked eggs.. The rest were completely scrambled on the path. My Mum was not happy at all. She smacked me with the wooden spoon and sent me to bed.......and that is why I don't like eggs. I just can't eat one unless it's mixed in with something. like in Yorkshire pudding.

Hmmm, I'm having counselling for depression now, maybe my counsellor could help me with my hatred of eggs too? Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 17 2014, 21:31

zand wrote:Yes cheese and cucumber is a great idea, thanks, I'm not really up to thinking for myself right now.

Eggs, OK this is a story that some people have heard already at the other place. ( it's a bit boring)  

When I was a child we had a small farm.  We had hens (some free range and some battery I'm afraid)  When I was about 8 my Mum sent me to collect the eggs.  I copied what she usually did and carried 15 dozen at once (that's 6 trays)  the inevitable happened and I dropped them.  Only 2 survived intact and about 30 were OK to sell as cracked eggs.. The rest were completely scrambled on the path.  My Mum was not happy at all.  She smacked me with the wooden spoon and sent me to bed.......and that is why I don't like eggs.  I just can't eat one unless it's mixed in with something. like in Yorkshire pudding.

Hmmm, I'm having counselling for depression now, maybe my counsellor could help me with my hatred of eggs too? Smile

Well I asked the question didn't I !

Will it help if I stand you a drink in Thommo's cheers

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Wed Sep 17 2014, 21:34

Jan1 wrote:
    zand wrote:Yes cheese and cucumber is a great idea, thanks, I'm not really up to thinking for myself right now.

When I was a child we had a small farm.  We had hens (some free range and some battery I'm afraid)  When I was about 8 my Mum sent me to collect the eggs.  I copied what she usually did and carried 15 dozen at once (that's 6 trays)  the inevitable happened and I dropped them.  Only 2 survived intact and about 30 were OK to sell as cracked eggs.. The rest were completely scrambled on the path.  My Mum was not happy at all.  She smacked me with the wooden spoon and sent me to bed.......and that is why I don't like eggs.  I just can't eat one unless it's mixed in with something. like in Yorkshire pudding.

Well I asked the question didn't I !

Will it help if I stand you a drink in Thommo's cheers

All the best Jan

Lol yeh that would be great....non-alcoholic though. Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 17 2014, 21:41

Thommo's Bar is Open cheers

If you've had a bad day or maybe just enjoyed a good dinner and fancy an after dinner drink - head on over to Thommo's.

All the best Jan
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Thu Sep 18 2014, 11:57

Recipe for Cauliflower Pasanda in the Guardian today - must try that.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Sep 18 2014, 13:05

Many thanks for the 'tip off' for this lovely recipe, I went and had a look and copied it here 'Jack' does have some nice recipe's and they don't break the bank so to speak  Smile

Cauliflower Pasanda

(Serves 4)

1 head of cauliflower

Oil for cooking (I use groundnut)

1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated

1 tsp turmeric

2 large onions, finely sliced

4 fat cloves of garlic, roughly chopped

1 red chilli, finely chopped

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 tsp garam masala

300ml natural yoghurt

300ml double cream

Fistful of fresh coriander

A handful of sultanas

Chopped almonds (optional)

Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark four. Get your thumbs into the middle of your cauliflower and prise it apart. It falls into florets, looks better, makes less mess and is faster than chopping. Put the pieces in a roasting tin, splash with oil, scatter with ginger and turmeric, and roast in the middle of the oven for about 40 minutes, until slightly crispy and browned around the edges.

Put the onions and garlic into a large pan with another splash of oil. Add the chilli, cumin seeds and garam masala, and cook on a low heat, stirring occasionally, for at least 15 minutes.

Remove the onions from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. Stir through the yoghurt and cream, season, and let it all luxuriate in the pan until the cauliflower is ready – adding dairy when the mix has cooled avoids splitting and curdling.

When the cauliflower is roasted, fold it through the curry pan – the turmeric should give it all a gentle, creamy yellow colour – and bring it back up to heat. Season, garnish with the coriander, sultanas and almonds, if using, and serve with rice or bread.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/sep/17/jack-monroe-cauliflower-pasanda-recipe

Being a low carber I wouldn't serve mine with rice or bread ......but however you serve it, it's a very nice recipe idea.

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 02:37