THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Detection of Diabetes Mellitus In Situ (Occult Diabetes)

yoly
    yoly

Detection of Diabetes Mellitus  In Situ (Occult Diabetes) Empty Detection of Diabetes Mellitus In Situ (Occult Diabetes)

Post by yoly Sun Jul 19 2015, 14:47

Very interesting;

Detection of Diabetes Mellitus In Situ (Occult Diabetes)

http://meridianvalleylab.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/GITT-Article-Re-type1.pdf
    yoly
    yoly

Detection of Diabetes Mellitus  In Situ (Occult Diabetes) Empty Re: Detection of Diabetes Mellitus In Situ (Occult Diabetes)

Post by yoly Sun Jul 19 2015, 15:40

“Demonstration that alteration of carbohydrate intake could affect insulin response has been used to monitor effectiveness of diet in diabetic management programs. Figs. 8B, 9A and 9B are examples taken from patients with diabetes mellitus in situ who were placed on low carbohydrate diets and reevaluated after one year. All changed to an entirely normal pattern and only in one instance was there appreciable weight reduction [5kg (11lb.)]. The fact that diet alters insulin pattern was further supported by the case illustrated in Fig. 10A in which a low carbohydrate diet was followed by a typical low insulin response. “
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Detection of Diabetes Mellitus  In Situ (Occult Diabetes) Empty Re: Detection of Diabetes Mellitus In Situ (Occult Diabetes)

Post by zand Sun Jul 19 2015, 15:43

Well I've read it yoly, I'm afraid most of it was beyond my aging brain cells.  However I did glean this from it:-

"No causal relationship between obesity and diabetes mellitus was shown in this study."

And also the GTT isn't good enough to determine a diabetic diagnosis on its own.  

"Since a significant number of patients with normal glucose tolerances were shown to have diabetes mellitus in situ, the reliability of the glucose tolerance test alone as a means of assessing presence or absence of disease must be re-evaluated. "

Thank you Smile
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sun Jul 19 2015, 16:16

yoly wrote:Very interesting;

Detection of Diabetes Mellitus  In Situ (Occult Diabetes)

http://meridianvalleylab.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/GITT-Article-Re-type1.pdf

Good find Yoly thanks for posting. I have had a quick read I will study in more depth later. On takeaway for me is this.

"Recent observations with animals 9,10 and humans 11,12 lend support to the concept that adequate diabetes control during early phases can reverse vascular changes. Additional investigations in our laboratory are concerned with determining whether or not normalization of insulin response is associated with delay in vascular changes and progression of the disease."

Getting good control of BG is paramount in avoiding diabetic complications, not only that, it is how we control BG that is just as important. For type two's carb up and shoot up with insulin or a bag of meds will never be the answer. For type ones carb up and shoot up will never be a get out of jail free card. There is nothing for free in this world, always a price to pay along the line.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 05:44