THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+13
Kath
Mrs Vimes
Thundercat
graham64
AliB
sanguine
zand
Eddie
Andy12345
Jan1
Paul1976
JohnWilson
Dillinger
17 posters

Arguments against Low-Carbing

cold ethyl

Arguments against Low-Carbing - Page 2 Empty Re: Arguments against Low-Carbing

Post by cold ethyl Sat Aug 30 2014, 21:00

I hope that with further weight loss that the odd potato or spoonful of rice might occasionally cross my lips. But I can't understand why many in the other place seem to want to rush back to having higher levels of carbs at every opportunity. If I understood the DN of my DESMOND course, by diagnosis the average loss of pancreatic function is 50% so I think anyone with any sense can see that it is better not to overly challenge the pancreas as even if insulin resistance is reduced by weight loss and carb reduction, the poor thing is never going to be a normal pancreas again.
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Sat Aug 30 2014, 23:42

I wonder about the theory of training your pancreas (I have visions of dog training). According to the OGTT instructions and Dr Michael Eades, it's not a matter of pancreas/insulin but more to do with digestive enzymes being down-regulated by long term LC.

But I also wonder how many chances you get at averting Type 2 - I got 2x after substantial weight loss but third time unlucky, I doubt if any amount of pancreas training is going to reverse things. The studies seem to say that by the time we're diagnosed we already have substantial beta cell loss and there is some controversy about how much function can be restored by de-fatting the liver and pancreas.

Dr Eades:

"Following a low-carb diet makes one a little glucose intolerant, which is the reason that the instructions for a glucose tolerance test always include the admonition to eat plenty of carbs in the week before the test. Why? Because all the macronutrients–glucose, fat and protein–are broken down by enzymes during the metabolic process. And all the enzymes necessary for the metabolism of the various macronutrients are made on demand but not immediately.

If you are on a high carbohydrate diet, then you will have plenty of enzymes on hand to deal with the carbohydrates you consume. If you switch to a low-carbohydrate diet, it takes a while to manufacture the enzymes in the quantities needed to deal with the extra fat and protein that your metabolic system hadn't been exposed to. This deficiency of protein/fat metabolizing enzymes is the reason people starting a low-carb diet become so easily fatigued–they've got plenty of enzymes on hand to break down carbs, they just don't have the carbs to metabolize. Once they produce the enzymes necessary to deal with the load of protein and fat, which takes a few days, they become low-carb adapted and no longer feel fatigued.

Once people become low-carb adapted then the same thing happens if they go face down in the donuts. They don't have the enzymes on board to deal with the sudden influx of glucose, and, as a consequence, their blood sugar spikes higher than it would on a person eating the same amount of carbohydrate who is already carb adapted."
    Sally
    Sally

Post by Sally Sun Aug 31 2014, 07:49

I can certainly agree with the Dr Eades from personal experience. (Dr Eades was quoted above, by Indy, as saying, "Once people become low-carb adapted then the same thing happens if they go face down in the donuts. They don't have the enzymes on board to deal with the sudden influx of glucose, and, as a consequence, their blood sugar spikes higher than it would on a person eating the same amount of carbohydrate who is already carb adapted."
    I'm not diabetic (husband is T2), but have been following low carb for about 14 months and feel that I have lost my carb adaption. At a recent event, serving eastern European style food, I had to wade my way through a series of potato based courses, including potato soup, while the other half was provided with a special salad (grrr!). I began to feel quite groggy and sleepy. Within the hour i was fine again. Presumably a "second phase" insulin response kicked in and sorted things out. This has also happened with a one off over indulgence in Greek cakes!
    I'm perfectly happy being less carb tolerant as a result of low carbing, I'm slimmer, fitter and, presumably far less likely to become diabetic. Think how much our health services would save if we all reduced our carbs!
    Sally
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Sun Aug 31 2014, 07:57

Thanks for that Indy, makes sense to me.

Indy51 wrote:I wonder about the theory of training your pancreas (I have visions of dog training).

More like cat herding in my case cat
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sun Aug 31 2014, 08:46

So, to summarise, are we saying that once you go low carb for any length of time, if you do happen to perhaps "fall off the wagon" for a day, the carbs will have more of an impact had we been doing it regularly ?
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sun Aug 31 2014, 09:28

mo1905 wrote:So, to summarise, are we saying that once you go low carb for any length of time, if you do happen to perhaps "fall off the wagon" for a day, the carbs will have more of an impact had we been doing it regularly ?

I reckon that is the case for some people maybe most. Imagine being a heavy drinker, over time you build up a tolerance to booze, that guy can drink a bottle of wine with very little noticeable effects. A person that never drinks may well be flat out drunk. Alcohol could be viewed as being a poison, and carbs that raise our BG numbers to dangerous levels are poison to a diabetic, meds being the antidote. Don't eat the poison and you don't need the antidote. I try never to use the word diet as that implies a temporary situation, low carbing has to be for life.

Clearly type one diabetics and some others have to use insulin they have no choice, but as we know, the less insulin the better the control for almost all.

Regards Eddie
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Sun Aug 31 2014, 09:30

Thanks Eddie, makes sense !
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Sun Aug 31 2014, 09:32

That would be my conclusion Mo.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Sep 01 2014, 14:59

Dillingers post is going around the world !

A day or so ago I posted up Dillingers post on our main blog. In the last 24 hours it has been read 294 times, just shows you what we can do eh !

Keep up the great work folks you ARE making a difference. BTW This thread has been read over 500 times !

Regards Eddie

30 Aug 2014, 3 comments
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Mon Sep 01 2014, 15:33

Good news travels fast Eddie ! Unwittingly, that single post may save many from nasty complications, loss of sight, amputations and possibly worse. The internet and social websites are a powerful and quick way to reach millions !
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Sep 01 2014, 20:45

mo1905 wrote:Good news travels fast Eddie ! Unwittingly, that single post may save many from nasty complications, loss of sight, amputations and possibly worse. The internet and social websites are a powerful and quick way to reach millions !

Couldn't agree more. If only one person takes 'new information' on board and tells someone else and they pass it on .....we can make a difference. Alas there will always be those that do not want to hear and their eyes and ears remain closed to something that may be that bit different and may be their HCP is not too keen on......
    BUT there is a growing number who have of course experienced something different and their reduced blood sugar numbers bear testament to this.

We talk and share .....we do bit to help others......we pass on the good news about LCHF  Smile

All the best Jan
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Male Posts : 209

Post by Dillinger Tue Sep 02 2014, 10:04

mo1905 wrote:Good news travels fast Eddie ! Unwittingly, that single post may save many from nasty complications, loss of sight, amputations and possibly worse. The internet and social websites are a powerful and quick way to reach millions !

I'd say 'wittingly' though... Shocked

Best

Dillinger
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Male Posts : 209

Post by Dillinger Tue Sep 02 2014, 10:05

eddie1 wrote:Dillingers post is going around the world !

A day or so ago I posted up Dillingers post on our main blog. In the last 24 hours it has been read 294 times, just shows you what we can do eh !

Keep up the great work folks you ARE making a difference. BTW This thread has been read over 500 times !

Regards Eddie

30 Aug 2014, 3 comments

That's impressive - thanks for doing that Eddie and thank you for keeping on fighting the good fight.

Best

Dillinger
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Sep 02 2014, 23:17

Dillinger wrote:
    eddie1 wrote:Dillingers post is going around the world !

Regards Eddie

30 Aug 2014, 3 comments

That's impressive - thanks for doing that Eddie and thank you for keeping on fighting the good fight.

Best

Dillinger

As of 11pm tonight

Entry Pageviews
    30 Aug 2014, 5 comments

Eddie
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Tue Sep 02 2014, 23:24

So, that's possibly 373 people who have benefited from this ! Result :-)
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Tue Sep 02 2014, 23:26

nah i made 373 accounts to make you guys feel good
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Tue Sep 02 2014, 23:33

Still a positive Andy, I feel good lol ! Your energy is waning from Douglas99 sapping your strength lol ! You are a patient man !

Last edited by mo1905 on Tue Sep 02 2014, 23:35; edited 1 time in total
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Tue Sep 02 2014, 23:35

lol all good fun, plenty of amo for eddie
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 02 2014, 23:57

Here's another good thought.

Dillingers post at almost midnight 381.
    Plus the number of views on this forum plus on twitter.
    It's too late for me to do any more maths BUT the figure is good.

We'll keep on talking about the benefits that is low carb high fat living. sunny

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 01:18