THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

A Pear A Day Keeps The Doctor Away ?

mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

A Pear A Day Keeps The Doctor Away ? Empty A Pear A Day Keeps The Doctor Away ?

Post by mo1905 Mon Apr 13 2015, 16:18

Latest research suggests a pear a day could provide big health benefits to diabetics. Can anyone tolerate these or do they spike you ?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150413074905.htm
    beardie
    beardie

A Pear A Day Keeps The Doctor Away ? Empty Re: A Pear A Day Keeps The Doctor Away ?

Post by beardie Mon Apr 13 2015, 16:27

You can't get ripe ones anymore. I don't like eating them until they are almost too soft to hold.
    I suspect I would get a very large spike then.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

A Pear A Day Keeps The Doctor Away ? Empty Re: A Pear A Day Keeps The Doctor Away ?

Post by Paul1976 Mon Apr 13 2015, 16:35

I used to love a overly ripened conference pear,so ripe that the juice used to burst out when you bit into it but these days a big No-No and at 27 grams of carbs for a medium size one,almost my total daily carb allowance they're now consigned to room 101! lol
    Sally
    Sally

Post by Sally Mon Apr 13 2015, 16:35

There are two particularly telling phrases in the linked article,
    "More studies are needed ……" (i.e., we can keep ourselves in research jobs for a few more years with this one)
    and
    "Funding for early work on the study was provided by USA Pears ….." (well pears would be effective, wouldn't they.)

I sometimes wonder if researchers play little games, sticking a pin in the dictionary, coming up with a word, in this case "pear", and then seeing how much research money they can get out of a stupid idea. Surely the best thing for someone who is pre-diabetic is to cut down on carbs/sugars, not start taking fermented pear juice, or whatever.

Call me cynical …..
    Sally
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Mon Apr 13 2015, 17:10

Sally wrote:There are two particularly telling phrases in the linked article,
    "More studies are needed ……" (i.e., we can keep ourselves in research jobs for a few more years with this one)
    and
    "Funding for early work on the study was provided by USA Pears ….." (well pears would be effective, wouldn't they.)

I sometimes wonder if researchers play little games, sticking a pin in the dictionary, coming up with a word, in this case "pear", and then seeing how much research money they can get out of a stupid idea. Surely the best thing for someone who is pre-diabetic is to cut down on carbs/sugars, not start taking fermented pear juice, or whatever.

Call me cynical …..

Sally

Not cynical you just have your head screwed on.

Time and time again we see this sort of bullshit. 27 grams of carb is 27 grams of carb whatever way you cut it. And for most of us, the choice is a large two course meal or one pear, it's as simple as that. We see so many so called studies and trials that are no more than paid advertising. Young people won't believe this, but I am old enough to remember when some Doctors said smoking is good for you and no way was it a health hazard. For money, you can get anything you want in this world. As I always say follow the money, and so often it leads back to greed and avarice.

All a diabetic needs to get sorted is out there on the net, and other than buying some books (not essential) , the information is free. Other diabetics taught me almost all I know about controlling diabetes, and they helped me out for love, not money. The world is awash with bad information regarding diet and diabetes, listen to people like Dr. Bernstein and Dr. Jay Wortman and other well controlled diabetics. I have come to the conclusion you have to be a diabetic to really know what you are talking about, you have to live it, day in and day out, it never goes away, but by the cringe, we could have gone down with a 1001 conditions infinitely worse.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Mon Apr 13 2015, 21:26

I can think of much better ways of eating 27g of carbs ! Way too high to eat regularly.
    beardie
    beardie

Post by beardie Mon Apr 13 2015, 21:27

25g is my meal allowance.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Mon Apr 13 2015, 21:28

beardie wrote:25g is my meal allowance.

Exactly, and a pear is just a snack !

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 02:44