THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Beyond weight loss: a review of the therapeutic uses of very-low-carbohydrate (ketogenic) diets.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Beyond weight loss: a review of the therapeutic uses of very-low-carbohydrate (ketogenic) diets. Empty Beyond weight loss: a review of the therapeutic uses of very-low-carbohydrate (ketogenic) diets.

Post by Eddie Tue Dec 02 2014, 16:12

Some extracts from this remarkable paper my bold text.

Although Hellerstein31 has recently reported that de novo lipogenesis contributes only ~20% of new triglycerides, this greater conversion of dietary carbohydrate into fat, much of it entering the circulation as saturated fat, is a metabolic abnormality that significantly increases risk for diabetes and heart disease. Thus, insulin resistance functionally manifests itself as ‘carbohydrate intolerance’. When dietary carbohydrate is restricted to a level below which it is not significantly converted to fat (a threshold that varies from person to person), signs and symptoms of insulin resistance improve or often disappear completely.
    In studies that have evaluated well-formulated very-low-carbohydrate diets and documented high rates of compliance in individuals with T2D, results have been nothing short of remarkable.
    Bistrian et al.32 reported withdrawal of insulin and major weight loss in a matter of weeks in T2D individuals who were fed a very-low-calorie and -carbohydrate diet.

Although significant reductions in fat mass often results when individuals restrict carbohydrate, the improvements in glycaemic control, haemoglobin A1c and lipid markers, as well as reduced use or withdrawal of insulin and other medications in many cases, occurs before significant weight loss occurs. Moreover, in isocaloric experiments individuals with insulin resistance showed dramatically improved markers of metabolic syndrome than diets lower in fat.27 It is interesting in this respect that a recent extremely large epidemiological study reported that diabetes risk is directly correlated, in an apparently causative manner, with sugar intake alone, independently of weight or sedentary lifestyle.

The link to this paper is here. http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v67/n8/full/ejcn2013116a.html
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Beyond weight loss: a review of the therapeutic uses of very-low-carbohydrate (ketogenic) diets. Empty Re: Beyond weight loss: a review of the therapeutic uses of very-low-carbohydrate (ketogenic) diets.

Post by sanguine Tue Dec 02 2014, 17:13

"When dietary carbohydrate is restricted to a level below which it is not significantly converted to fat (a threshold that varies from person to person), "

Sorry I know I should read the paper but what kind of range does it suggest for this Eddie?
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Beyond weight loss: a review of the therapeutic uses of very-low-carbohydrate (ketogenic) diets. Empty Re: Beyond weight loss: a review of the therapeutic uses of very-low-carbohydrate (ketogenic) diets.

Post by mo1905 Tue Dec 02 2014, 17:15

Good question Rod. Hopefully Eddie may have an answer. My guess would be there is no set answer, it would have many variables, particularly how active you are/how quickly you use up the carbs as energy.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Tue Dec 02 2014, 17:39

Mo said “Eddie may have an answer” Jeez, when was I ever short of an answer! And Rod, tell me what time you wake up in the morning and I’ll bring you up some tea and toast. OK skip the toast.

This paper is talking about a keto diet, this varies between individuals, but reckoned to be below 50 carbs per day for most. When I went very low carb for three months, after I saw the light, soon after type two diagnosis, I was on 30 carbs per day and around 1300 calories. HbA1c from 12 to 5.6. 50 lbs weight loss, waist  size around 40” to 32”.

Why not get some Keto Stix from any chemists, around a fiver if you fancy having a go. I have gained some weight over the last few years around 15 pounds and waist size up a few inches. I am going back on a keto diet after Christmas, only trouble last time was the fact everyone I met who knew me thought I was so thin they thought I was going down with a terminal disease.
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Tue Dec 02 2014, 22:37

eddie1 wrote:Mo said “Eddie may have an answer” Jeez, when was I ever short of an answer! And Rod, tell me what time you wake up in the morning and I’ll bring you up some tea and toast. OK skip the toast.

Scrambled eggs and bacon please Eddie, then I'll be able to relax and read the paper Basketball

I will though.  I think I'm on about 50g, lost 20kg, HbA1c on 42 and dropping.  Never tried keto sticks, might give it a go.

Last edited by sanguine on Wed Dec 03 2014, 09:41; edited 1 time in total
    j

Male Posts : 111

Post by j Wed Dec 03 2014, 03:54

sanguine wrote:"When dietary carbohydrate is restricted to a level below which it is not significantly converted to fat (a threshold that varies from person to person), "

Sorry I know I should read the paper but what kind of range does it suggest for this Eddie?
    from what i have read from other sources. it's based on your insulin resistance. the more resistant you are the lower the threshold. your prediagnosis BMI is also an indicator.
    some people effectively don't have a threshold and can eat lots of carbs,,some will lay down fat at 70G
    watch at 15 minutes
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Wed Dec 03 2014, 17:25

That makes sense J. The idea there is a magic number of carbs seems odd to me. We all need to find our own levels.
    j

Male Posts : 111

Post by j Thu Dec 04 2014, 03:32

horfilmania
    horfilmania

Female Posts : 68

Post by horfilmania Fri Dec 05 2014, 00:04

mo1905 wrote:That makes sense J. The idea there is a magic number of carbs seems odd to me. We all need to find our own levels.

This is correct. An obese, elderly woman such as myself needs to restrict carbohydrate drastically. A middle aged male less so and usually youngsters can get away with more.

I love watching Professor Noakes' lectures. His diet is making him deliriously happy. The true professional to the end, he freely admits he was wrong in his dietary advice given in his running book and is doing everything possible to reverse that advice in his lectures.

Regarding knowing if you are in ketosis I don't need sticks. If I'm losing weight and not hungry that's my indication that I'm in ketosis.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 06:06