THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+5
zand
Andy12345
Missy1
AliB
Eddie
9 posters

Look after your feet don't become a victim

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Look after your feet don't become a victim  Empty Look after your feet don't become a victim

Post by Eddie Tue Nov 18 2014, 16:19

Poor control of blood glucose can lead to this gruesome complication.

Look after your feet don't become a victim  Diabetic+foot

Diabetic foot

Like most people I like nice clothes, but as I have been semi retired for a long time I cannot afford to pay top prices. I buy lots of my clothes second hand from charity shops and ebay. I have a collection of top of the range Berghaus and Barbour outdoor clothing bought for a fraction of the price of new, but in as new condition. One area I never skimp on is socks and shoes. Top quality shoes and boots usually these http://www.brasher.co.uk/catalogue/products/countrymaster-ii-gtx-b-10185a94  

I usually pay up to £10 for a pair of socks. One of my favourite brands is Gelert, average price around £7 per pair. Today in a TK Max shop I found a real bargain, three pairs for £5. Six pairs purchased and after close inspection look perfect. So, never ever take a risk with your feet, look after them, you can't get another pair from ebay.

A few tips on looking after your feet.

Wash your feet in warm water every day. Make sure the water is not too hot by testing the temperature with your elbow. Do not soak your feet. Dry your feet well, especially between your toes.

Look at your feet every day to check for cuts, sores, blisters, redness, calluses, or other problems. Checking every day is even more important if you have nerve damage or poor blood flow. If you cannot bend over or pull your feet up to check them, use a mirror. If you cannot see well, ask someone else to check your feet.

If your skin is dry, rub lotion on your feet after you wash and dry them. Do not put lotion between your toes. File corns and calluses gently with an emery board or pumice stone. Do this after your bath or shower.

Cut your toenails once a week or when needed. Cut toenails when they are soft from washing. Cut them to the shape of the toe and not too short. File the edges with an emery board. Always wear slippers or shoes to protect your feet from injuries.

Always wear socks or stockings to avoid blisters. Do not wear socks or knee-high stockings that are too tight below your knee.
    Wear shoes that fit well. Shop for shoes at the end of the day when your feet are bigger. Break in shoes slowly. Wear them 1 to 2 hours each day for the first few weeks.

Before putting your shoes on, feel the insides to make sure they have no sharp edges or objects that might injure your feet.

More good information here http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/complications_feet/
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Look after your feet don't become a victim  Empty Re: Look after your feet don't become a victim

Post by Andy12345 Tue Nov 18 2014, 16:23

nooooooooooooo

what an image to have in my mind as i start the journey home Sad

especially as i have a damaged toe that is doing weird things

la la ears la la ears
    Eddie
    Eddie

Look after your feet don't become a victim  Empty Re: Look after your feet don't become a victim

Post by Eddie Tue Nov 18 2014, 16:29

Sorry Andy but that is the reality for many people. The leading cause of non trauma amputation in the UK is poorly controlled diabetes.
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Tue Nov 18 2014, 16:35

ugh, I feel sick just looking at that. Thanks though Eddie, I confess I don't look after my feet well enough. I'll try to do better now.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Nov 18 2014, 16:47

From the low carb diabetic blog around a year ago.

Chris Brasher shoes and boots as recommended by Dillinger !

Today this comment came in from our mate Dillinger.

"Right - I'm going to put the boot in. As well as all the low-carb stuff here Eddie recommended a while ago Brasher walking boots and I bought some when I needed a new pair. They are really good and I would never have heard about them otherwise. So thank you for the blog and thank you for the boot advice!"

As you can see we practice what we preach, Jan's walking shoes and boots. The ladies Brasher leather shoes are no longer made, a great pity as they are marvellous.

Look after your feet don't become a victim  Jans+shoes

Look after your feet don't become a victim  Jans+boots

BTW we have no ties or links to Brasher shoes and boots whatsoever.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Nov 18 2014, 17:00

zand wrote:ugh, I feel sick just looking at that.  Thanks though Eddie, I confess I don't look after my feet well enough.  I'll try to do better now.  

I hear what you are saying Zand but so many want to hide from the truth. So many wait till it is too late. We owe it to all diabetics to tell it like it is. Of course this terrible situation does not have to be.
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Tue Nov 18 2014, 17:06

Diabetes is a disease of malnutrition. The body cannot heal or maintain itself without enough of the right elements. It will start to die......slowly.

I had already started with neuropathy in my feet when I dumped gluten, grains and most carbs. Burning feet and terrible 'gouty' toes.

Within a few weeks after changing my diet it had stopped, and despite my sugar levels generally being higher than I would like, I have had no problems with my feet since.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Nov 18 2014, 19:28

may i ask why the brasher shoes are better than others?
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Nov 18 2014, 20:03

Hi Andy

I am not saying they are better than others they are just a great shoe and good value for money. In your line of work using very heavy materials I would recommend Dr.Martins shoes or boots with steel reinforced toe caps. May have saved you from the current toe injury.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Nov 18 2014, 20:05

yes they woulda hehe, although my buddy had a lump fall (or the forklift knocked it off the bench) and he lost hes second to biggest toe, the doctors said if he had been wearing steels he would have lost the front half of hes foot
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Nov 18 2014, 20:06

oh i see, i thought they were special for diabetes

sorry i have an ugly habit of answering questions in reverse
    Missy1
    Missy1
    Troll

Female Posts : 30

Post by Missy1 Thu Nov 20 2014, 05:07

Brasher the company has gone belly up and being absorbed in to another company that will be making similar shoe inspired by brasher but not the same.

Brasher makes some nice shoes like Country Master 2 GTX  but at £130 they are not worth the asking price.

The  soles are the problem they wear out long before the rest of the shoe does, but cant be repaired cheaply at your local cobblers because they are pre-mould. So making them not very good value for money.

I favour Dr. Martens and although they to have pre-moulded soles they are however half the cost of a pair of Brasher shoes.

I also favour Croc’s clogs, which is my shoe of choice. I where the lined clogs in the winter and the classic Croc clogs in the summer.

Croc’s are again pre-moulded but being only around £40 a pair, makes them good value for money.

I’ve walked the Cotswold Way in Croc’s and also done a half marathons wearing a pair.

With socks I usually buy cheap pairs all of the same make and colour (usually the same colour of the clogs) and double up on them in winter.

But I have brought real fur socks in the past, which are now difficult if not impossible to get in the UK, due to all the stigma attached to buying such products here.

Interestingly stockings both for men and women are a good way of maintaining circulation to the lower legs in winter, I recommend silk with the wearing of a pair of socks on top. The frilly silk knickers are optional guys.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Nov 20 2014, 07:16

"Interestingly stockings both for men and women are a good way of maintaining circulation to the lower legs in winter, I recommend silk with the wearing of a pair of socks on top. The frilly silk knickers are optional essential for your health guys."

wooohoooo!
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Thu Nov 20 2014, 08:10

Andy, I worry about you sometimes. First the mankini and now this! The good thing is you've managed to put me off my food for a while. Smile The bad thing is I'm now scared to read any of your posts for fear of what you may say next. affraid
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Thu Nov 20 2014, 09:35

Andy12345 wrote:"Interestingly stockings both for men and women are a good way of maintaining circulation to the lower legs in winter, I recommend silk with the wearing of a pair of socks on top. The frilly silk knickers are optional essential for your health guys."

wooohoooo!

Feel free to post any pics :-)
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Thu Nov 20 2014, 09:52

mo1905 wrote:
    Andy12345 wrote:"Interestingly stockings both for men and women are a good way of maintaining circulation to the lower legs in winter, I recommend silk with the wearing of a pair of socks on top. The frilly silk knickers are optional essential for your health guys."

wooohoooo!

Feel free to post any pics :-)

Oh please don't encourage him! I'm keeping away from here for a few days affraid
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Thu Nov 20 2014, 10:00

Look after your feet don't become a victim  Unknow10

Andy ????
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Male Posts : 209

Post by Dillinger Thu Nov 20 2014, 11:52

That's a still from American Werewolf In London isn't it?
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Male Posts : 209

Post by Dillinger Thu Nov 20 2014, 11:54

Missy1 wrote:Brasher the company has gone belly up and being absorbed in to another company that will be making similar shoe inspired by brasher but not the same.

Oh no; those boots are really good.

Brashers seemed much more forgiving than normal walking boots (the ones that I have anyway).

I'll be really sad if they are no more... Crying or Very sad

I'll have to wait for Eddie to recommend something else now...

Best

Dillinger
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Nov 20 2014, 16:20

Dillinger wrote:
    Missy1 wrote:Brasher the company has gone belly up and being absorbed in to another company that will be making similar shoe inspired by brasher but not the same.

Oh no; those boots are really good.

Brashers seemed much more forgiving than normal walking boots (the ones that I have anyway).

I'll be really sad if they are no more... Crying or Very sad

I'll have to wait for Eddie to recommend something else now...

Best

Dillinger

Hi Dillinger I think Missy is trying to put the boot in Laughing Brasher shoes and boots are still available all over the UK. The company owners may have changed but as long as the quality is still there I will be buying a new pair of walking shoes in the near future. Their boots and shoes are the only footwear I have ever had that feel perfectly comfortable straight out of the box.

Is someone trying to sell us a complete Crock ?
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Thu Nov 20 2014, 16:29

Yes I think so Eddie. Smile
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Thu Nov 20 2014, 18:02

We've seen plenty of 'Crock' posted here by a 'Certain revolving member' eh guys? Wink
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Nov 20 2014, 18:35

mo1905 wrote:Look after your feet don't become a victim  Unknow10

mate! thats rude Sad

i didnt post any pictures of your wife did i?

shes gonna be real mad at you!

Andy ????
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Nov 20 2014, 18:42

I like hairy women, but there is a limit. woot
    Missy1
    Missy1
    Troll

Female Posts : 30

Post by Missy1 Thu Nov 20 2014, 20:02

eddie1 wrote:

Hi Dillinger I think Missy is trying to put the boot in Laughing Brasher shoes and boots are still available all over the UK. The company owners may have changed but as long as the quality is still there I will be buying a new pair of walking shoes in the near future. Their boots and shoes are the only footwear I have ever had that feel perfectly comfortable straight out of the box.

Is someone trying to sell us a complete Crock ?

Brasher is owned by Pentland who also own Berghaus. The Brasher side of the business has struggled in recent years, so they are closing it down and focusing on the other side Berghaus.

Brasher shoes and boots are made cheaply in China and the company have simply price themselves out of the market by over charging for them.

People have cottoned on that the so-called quintessential British shoe is in fact a cheap Chinese imitation. Would you pay £130 for such an item? I certainly would not. If they lowered the price to £70 (still making a big profit)the Brasher side of the business would have got stronger.

Anyway you won’t have long to wait to learn I’m right, it happening in February next year.

So Eddie get your shares out. Because in my opinion Berghaus will go belly up also at some point.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 22:58