THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Never take a risk with your feet

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Never take a risk with your feet Empty Never take a risk with your feet

Post by Eddie Sat Sep 20 2014, 12:30

Never take a risk with your feet Diabetes_foot_480_19a27ot-19a27p2

The case of a 50-year-old diabetic man’s feet highlights the damage diabetes can do to the body.

"The photo's above shows the dramatic damage of a diabetic foot infection which developed after the rubbing of new shoes. The painful lesions developed in only ten days. His story, reported in the New England Journal of Medicine, demonstrates the speed at which the side effects of diabetes can take hold.

On day one, his skin flared red and wouldn't heal because of poor circulation. The infection then blistered and turned black from dead tissue. By day ten, the wound required surgery.

Doctors told the The Daily Mail that the man was obese and was unaware he had diabetes. The patient also arrived 10 days after the infection had begun and was found to suffer from peripheral neuropathy - a condition where the nerves in the extremities such as the arms, hands, legs and feet are damaged. It affects 70 per cent of people with diabetes."

I have been hanging around forums and health blogs for over six years. In that time I feel I have learned a lot about diabetes control. I have seen some grim sights and thought I knew the score re complications. But the speed of deterioration in this man's foot has left me shocked and stunned.

This item was sent to me by Indy over a year ago and shows we must be forever vigilant.

Eddie
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Never take a risk with your feet Empty Re: Never take a risk with your feet

Post by Andy12345 Sat Sep 20 2014, 12:31

Shocked
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sat Sep 20 2014, 12:36

We must NEVER get complacent about our condition and keep falling on and off the wagon like some diabetics 'appear' to boast about-The image above is no rarity,complications such as seen above(Just one of many complications) can and DO happen and is the reason I eat the way I do now.

Thanks for 'Bumping' this up for everyone's attention Eddie.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sat Sep 20 2014, 12:39

Andy12345 wrote:Shocked

I'm afraid it's real mate-I've met some diabetic amputees in hospital and even after the limb was removed,wound infections were common due to high BG's eating an NHS diet of carbs with every meal...It doesn't have to be this way.
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Sat Sep 20 2014, 14:52

Diabetes is a symptom of malnutrition.

The more malnourished a person is, the more their body will fall apart.

If the body can't get enough of certain nutrients it cannot complete certain processes. It cannot heal.

When on earth will this system wake up and learn?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sat Sep 20 2014, 15:07

AliB wrote:Diabetes is a symptom of malnutrition.

The more malnourished a person is, the more their body will fall apart.

If the body can't get enough of certain nutrients it cannot complete certain processes.  It cannot heal.

When on earth will this system wake up and learn?

Yes and no...Of course being malnourished will cause a Myriad of health problems but high blood glucose levels are our biggest Foe when it comes to infections and healing in a diabetic,the excess glucose in the bloodstream is the perfect 'Super food' for bacteria and yeast.
    Diabetes is more than just a symptom IMO...If it was just a symptom-why is it that I've lead a healthy LCHF for over 2 years with plenty of macronutrients and I still cannot give up insulin or if I were to up the carbs my levels would shoot through the roof? surely if it was down to being 'Malnourished' (which I'm not) I'd be able to eat bread,rice,spuds and pasta without any problems now? Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08 2024, 21:35