THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+5
carty
Eddie
Paul1976
zand
Sally
9 posters

Anyone fancy a drink?

Sally
    Sally

Anyone fancy a drink? Empty Anyone fancy a drink?

Post by Sally Mon Nov 03 2014, 15:12

Members who enjoy the occasional drink may enjoy reading Zoe Harcombe's latest blog with their tipple.  You can find it here, http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2014/11/alcohol-calories-labels-and-disingenuity/
    For those already too inebriated to follow the link, I'll quote the bit which especially appealed to me,
    Current drinkers had lower odds of obesity. Those drinking one or two drinks per day had approximately half the incidence of obesity compared to non drinkers. The odds of obesity were significantly lower for the frequent drinkers.
    I like that, now where's the bottle opener …….
    Sally
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Anyone fancy a drink? Empty Re: Anyone fancy a drink?

Post by zand Mon Nov 03 2014, 15:21

Yes I would agree with that, when I drank regularly I remained slim. I don't believe alcohol calories were equal to food calories for me. It was a great way to lose weight.........for a while anyway. Smile
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Mon Nov 03 2014, 15:21

cheers cheers drunken Now I LIKE this article a lot! "I HO- I HO-It's off to the off licence I go..." Very Happy
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Mon Nov 03 2014, 15:31

Haven't you lot heard ? according to the antis all of us low carbers are alcoholics affraid

A good rule to follow is never drink more than your Doctor. Don't worry about the fact as a profession Doctors are very high up on alcoholism by profession charts.

That being said, I wonder how many medics I have driven to drink lol!
    carty

Post by carty Mon Nov 03 2014, 15:45

Don't want to encourage anyone to alcoholism but ----- Sainsbury have a 25% off 6 bottles of wine offer at the moment and some good offers on good wine I got excellent merlot also shiraz that were reduced to 2 for £10 so making each bottle less than £4 and Nectar points too !
    CAROL
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Mon Nov 03 2014, 16:03

carty wrote:Don't want to encourage anyone to alcoholism but ----- Sainsbury have a 25% off 6 bottles of wine offer at the moment and some good offers on good wine  I got excellent merlot also shiraz that were reduced to 2 for £10 so making each bottle less than £4 and Nectar points too !
       CAROL

Oooo! Very Happy Sounds like a trip down to Sainsbo's is in order! cheers Thanks Carol Smile
    carty

Post by carty Mon Nov 03 2014, 16:06

Your welcome Surprised
    CAROL
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Mon Nov 03 2014, 16:06

eddie1 wrote:Haven't you lot heard ? according to the antis all of us low carbers are alcoholics affraid

A good rule to follow is never drink more than your Doctor. Don't worry about the fact as a profession Doctors are very high up on alcoholism by profession charts.

That being said, I wonder how many medics I have driven to drink lol!

LOL!! Takes me right back to Irene's comment on the blog last year! freakout It's not the LCHF lifestyle that helps our control-It's the BOOZE!!! affraid lol!
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Mon Nov 03 2014, 16:08

lol, but some of us don't drink.....anymore Rolling Eyes Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Nov 03 2014, 16:17

Paul wrote:
    carty wrote:Don't want to encourage anyone to alcoholism but ----- Sainsbury have a 25% off 6 bottles of wine offer at the moment and some good offers on good wine  I got excellent merlot also shiraz that were reduced to 2 for £10 so making each bottle less than £4 and Nectar points too !
       CAROL

Oooo! Very Happy Sounds like a trip down to Sainsbo's is in order! cheers Thanks Carol Smile

Thanks for this tip Carol .....as Paul said think a trip to our local Sainsburys is on the horizon.

Got to start some Christmas Drinks Shopping santa

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Mon Nov 03 2014, 18:03

I only really drink wine at Xmas so perfect timing ! I'm a little uncouth though as I like my red very cold which for some is a sin !
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Mon Nov 03 2014, 18:18

mo1905 wrote:I only really drink wine at Xmas so perfect timing ! I'm a little uncouth though as I like my red very cold which for some is a sin !

LOL! I chill all booze including red wine as well! woot Gonna get slated for this later me thinks! Twisted Evil
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Mon Nov 03 2014, 18:57

Cold red wine oh dear, worse than warm white wine or warm beer heathens Rolling Eyes
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Mon Nov 03 2014, 20:48

Anyone fancy a drink? Images10

Moi ?? A Heathen :-)
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Mon Nov 03 2014, 20:51

Everything in moderation... freakout

Anyone fancy a drink? Z
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Nov 03 2014, 22:12

Paul wrote:Everything in moderation... freakout

Anyone fancy a drink? Z

lol!

Jan  flower
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Nov 03 2014, 22:17

....... but seriously I prefer my red wine at room temperature and my white wine and rose wine chilled.

The best way to enjoy wine is to drink your choice of wine at your favourite temperature.

Whether it be French, German, Italian, Chilean, New Zealand, Australian, English, Nape Valley or any other wine producing region / country.

Now fine brandy is another matter Smile  

Cheers cheers  Jan  sunny
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Oct 29 2018, 22:20

I must admit that during warmer months a nice G & T goes down well.

Gin seems to be growing in popularity ( apparently there are 315 gin distilleries in the UK, double that of five years), and of course, there are an amazing different types/varieties.

Reading this article a particular Sainsbury's Gin scored high

"Gin connoisseurs who turn their noses up at supermarkets’ own-brand products are making a big mistake, according to a blind taste test by an expert panel.

The industry experts, brought together by the consumer group Which?, put four supermarket own-brand offerings in its top five best buys, from 11 widely available gins priced below £20.

The panel, which scored the gins on palate, aroma and finish, put Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Blackfriars Gin (£16) on top of the pile, with a score of 83%. They praised its “exuberant aroma and freshness” as well as its “complexity and balance”."

Asda’s Special Triple Distilled Premium Gin (£16) scored 75%, narrowly pipping Lidl’s Hortus Original London Dry Gin (also £16) at 74%.

Not all supermarket gins, however, were highly rated. Aldi’s Topaz Blue Gin (£14) was awarded 51%, with the panel describing it as “weak and bland”.

The gin market is enjoying a boom, with 315 distilleries operating across the UK, double the number of five years ago, according to the Wine and Spirit Trade Association (WSTA). The industry group said this month that 49 new distilleries had opened in the past year.

Total gin sales broke through the £2bn mark for the first time in the 12 months to the end of March this year, while Diageo reported sales increases of more than 10% for its Tanqueray and Gordon’s brands in the year to the end of June.

In the taste test Tanqueray, which sells for £18, scored the highest of the brand-name gins at 75%, with judges describing it as “fantastically zesty” with a “big, juniper aroma”.

However, Gordon’s Special London Dry Gin (£16) scored a rather less impressive 66%.

Harry Rose, the editor of Which? magazine, said: “Well-known brands are being challenged by a range of impressive supermarket offerings, showing how strong the demand for gin is now.”
    As might perhaps be expected, the gin craze has also boosted the tonic water industry. The stock market value of tonic maker Fever-Tree is more than 15 times its level at the start of 2015, although the brand has lost some fizz in recent weeks, down by almost 30% from its peak a month ago.

Words and more from here
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/foodnews/top-tipples-experts-favour-supermarket-gins-in-blind-taste-test/ar-BBOX6Qb?ocid=spartandhp

Cheers  drunken

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Mon Oct 29 2018, 22:40

Not a fan of gin though there is local distillery brewing Cuckoo gin http://www.brindledistillery.co.uk/#

My tipples a nice pint of cask ale  beer
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Oct 31 2018, 00:22

One of my late aunts was partial to gin but it's something that rather passed me by. I used to be fond of a nice peaty Scotch or fine brandy but nowadays I mostly stick with the red wine. My second favourite Carmenere is currently unavailable (it's cheaper than my favourite) oh well I'll just have to drink less.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Nov 02 2018, 21:02

Chris said "One of my late aunts was partial to gin..."

She was in good company Chris  Wink
    Apparently "The mother of the Queen, who died in 2002 at the age of 101, kicked off her daily libations with a glass of Dubonnet and gin before lunch"

Read more here
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6201161/The-Queen-Mothers-favourite-alcohol.html

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Nov 04 2018, 23:03

Oh my mother always used to break out the Dubonnet for Christmas. Her mother was partial to egg nog, and Advocaat. We used to have Spanish Sauterne with our Christmas chicken but that was made illegal, Sauterne can only come from France, so I don't know what it's called now.

Better news, my favourite Carmenere is currently on discount, as is Chateau Brassac although that's never been as excellent as I think 2008, so I'm starting to build my Christmas Collection.

Better than Blue Nun and those other brand name mediocrities from the seventies.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 18:46