THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

If your suffering from Neuropathic Pain, Depression or Exercise there is a supplement that can help

yoly
    yoly

If your suffering from Neuropathic Pain, Depression or Exercise there is a supplement that can help Empty If your suffering from Neuropathic Pain, Depression or Exercise there is a supplement that can help

Post by yoly Sun Oct 26 2014, 11:27

Agmatine Sulfate is a supplement being used by weightlifters and anti-aging fanatics that among is benefits is relief from some neuropathic pain, it helps fights stress and depression. As an added benefit for diabetics it help reduce blood glucose levels and glycation of proteins(AGE's). Is also neuroprotective it may help memory preservation, is an aid for exercise and is anti-aging at least in rats. If you need help in any of this areas it may be something you can investigate.

http://www.mc.edu/faculty/files/7813/7823/8539/Agmatine-DDT_Final_Proofs_DRUDIS_1291_08-02-13.pdf

(Study below is by one of the supplement providers)
    http://www.neurology.org/content/82/10_Supplement/P7.094.short

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:To evaluate the effect of agmatine sulfate on neuropathic painBACKGROUND:Neuropathic pain is common complaint of many patients especially diabetic patients, and current treatment is often not effective. Based on previous studies suggesting oral agmatine was a safe and effective treatment for sciatica we began a prospective study of the effect of Agmatine Sulfate, a decarboxylated arginine, on neuropathic pain.DESIGN/METHODS:Patients diagnosed with neuropathic pain were recruited into this study after a diagnosis of a small fiber neuropathy was confirmed by skin biopsy and/or quatitative sensorimotor axonal reflex testing (QSART). The Neuropathic Pain Questionnaire (Clinical Journal of Pain 19:306-314, 2003) was before started then monthly during a two month treatment period with agmatine sulfate (3.670 g/day), the nutraceutical salt of agmatine. This questionnaire includes 8 scales with positive correlations and 4 with negative correlations to neuropathic pain (i.e., a high score on the latter scales suggests a non-neuropathic pain). Patients were allowed the use of any concomitant conventional treatment during the study. QSART was also repeated at the end of the study. Statistical analyses were performed using student T-Test.

RESULTS:Five patients have completed the study to date. The only side effect was an unpleasant taste noted by a single patient that did not prevent finishing the study. T-test evaluation was done comparing the initial with the final answers. The Total Discriminant Function scores showed a significant decrease (p=0.03). The detailed categorization of neuropathic pain characteristics show significant decrease in burning (p=0.02), tingling (p=0.04) and unpleasant (p=0.02) aspects of the pain.

CONCLUSIONS:Our results in this ongoing study suggest that Agmatine Sulfate has a significant effect in decreasing burning, tingling and unpleasant aspects of neuropathic pain. It also has a statistical significant decrease in total Discriminant function score after two months of administration.Study Supported by:Gilad&Gilad

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10984543

Abstract

Antagonists of glutamate receptors of the N-methyl-d-aspartate subclass (NMDAR) or inhibitors of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) prevent nervous system plasticity. Inflammatory and neuropathic pain rely on plasticity, presenting a clinical opportunity for the use of NMDAR antagonists and NOS inhibitors in chronic pain. Agmatine (AG), an endogenous neuromodulator present in brain and spinal cord, has both NMDAR antagonist and NOS inhibitor activities. We report here that AG, exogenously administered to rodents, decreased hyperalgesia accompanying inflammation, normalized the mechanical hypersensitivity (allodynia/hyperalgesia) produced by chemical or mechanical nerve injury, and reduced autotomy-like behavior and lesion size after excitotoxic spinal cord injury. AG produced these effects in the absence of antinociceptive effects in acute pain tests. Endogenous AG also was detected in rodent lumbosacral spinal cord in concentrations similar to those previously detected in brain. The evidence suggests a unique antiplasticity and neuroprotective role for AG in
    processes underlying persistent pain and neuronal injury.

zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

If your suffering from Neuropathic Pain, Depression or Exercise there is a supplement that can help Empty Re: If your suffering from Neuropathic Pain, Depression or Exercise there is a supplement that can help

Post by zand Sun Oct 26 2014, 11:33

Thank you for this. I'm not sure I understood all of it, but I get the main message. I have nerve pain/burning/tingling in my right leg above the knee. The nerves were damaged when I had a heart procedure and I was numb there for many months after the operation. I was told that I would never regain feeling there. However the feeling is slowly coming back (almost 2 years later) and it can be quite painful as it heals. Whilst this isn't the same as diabetic neuropathy, I feel the supplement could be of use to me.
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

If your suffering from Neuropathic Pain, Depression or Exercise there is a supplement that can help Empty Re: If your suffering from Neuropathic Pain, Depression or Exercise there is a supplement that can help

Post by AliB Sun Oct 26 2014, 15:21

My research over the last few years has thrown up that many of us are short of sulphur and sulphated elements.

Due to fluoridation and chlorine in municipal water that displaces sulphur, we do not get it in much of our water source. There is a lot less of it in our food these days too, due to the lack of it in the soil and commercial fertilisers.

It is interesting that sulphur-based B vitamins like Thiamin and Biotin, are often very deplete in those with Diabetes. My body is helped by sulphur and sulphur-based elements. Bathing in
    Epsom Salts - Magnesium Sulphate - is very detoxing and beneficial for joint and muscle issues, and it is not that expensive. I picked up a 12.5kg box for about £20 including postage.

Magnesium is another element we are often short of, so the bathing, foot soaks, and even adding a pinch of to a glass or bottle of drinking water is no bad thing.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sun Oct 26 2014, 18:59

Interesting article ...thanks Yoly.

It never ceases to amaze me how finely balanced our bodies are and need to be, and all the vitamins, minerals, enzymes etc that go into the workings of our bodies. There are so many outside elements that can throw this precarious balance out of line.

We can only do our best. Read up on what is available and make enlightened choices.

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sun Oct 26 2014, 19:52

yoly wrote:Agmatine Sulfate is a supplement being used by weightlifters and anti-aging fanatics that among is benefits is relief from some neuropathic pain, it helps fights stress and depression. As an added benefit for diabetics it help reduce blood glucose levels and glycation of proteins(AGE's). Is also neuroprotective it may help memory preservation, is an aid for exercise and is anti-aging at least in rats. If you need help in any of this areas it may be something you can investigate.

http://www.mc.edu/faculty/files/7813/7823/8539/Agmatine-DDT_Final_Proofs_DRUDIS_1291_08-02-13.pdf

(Study below is by one of the supplement providers)
    http://www.neurology.org/content/82/10_Supplement/P7.094.short

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:To evaluate the effect of agmatine sulfate on neuropathic painBACKGROUND:Neuropathic pain is common complaint of many patients especially diabetic patients, and current treatment is often not effective. Based on previous studies suggesting oral agmatine was a safe and effective treatment for sciatica we began a prospective study of the effect of Agmatine Sulfate, a decarboxylated arginine, on neuropathic pain.DESIGN/METHODS:Patients diagnosed with neuropathic pain were recruited into this study after a diagnosis of a small fiber neuropathy was confirmed by skin biopsy and/or quatitative sensorimotor axonal reflex testing (QSART). The Neuropathic Pain Questionnaire (Clinical Journal of Pain 19:306-314, 2003) was before started then monthly during a two month treatment period with agmatine sulfate (3.670 g/day), the nutraceutical salt of agmatine. This questionnaire includes 8 scales with positive correlations and 4 with negative correlations to neuropathic pain (i.e., a high score on the latter scales suggests a non-neuropathic pain). Patients were allowed the use of any concomitant conventional treatment during the study. QSART was also repeated at the end of the study. Statistical analyses were performed using student T-Test.

RESULTS:Five patients have completed the study to date. The only side effect was an unpleasant taste noted by a single patient that did not prevent finishing the study. T-test evaluation was done comparing the initial with the final answers. The Total Discriminant Function scores showed a significant decrease (p=0.03). The detailed categorization of neuropathic pain characteristics show significant decrease in burning (p=0.02), tingling (p=0.04) and unpleasant (p=0.02) aspects of the pain.

CONCLUSIONS:Our results in this ongoing study suggest that Agmatine Sulfate has a significant effect in decreasing burning, tingling and unpleasant aspects of neuropathic pain. It also has a statistical significant decrease in total Discriminant function score after two months of administration.Study Supported by:Gilad&Gilad

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10984543

Abstract

Antagonists of glutamate receptors of the N-methyl-d-aspartate subclass (NMDAR) or inhibitors of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) prevent nervous system plasticity. Inflammatory and neuropathic pain rely on plasticity, presenting a clinical opportunity for the use of NMDAR antagonists and NOS inhibitors in chronic pain. Agmatine (AG), an endogenous neuromodulator present in brain and spinal cord, has both NMDAR antagonist and NOS inhibitor activities. We report here that AG, exogenously administered to rodents, decreased hyperalgesia accompanying inflammation, normalized the mechanical hypersensitivity (allodynia/hyperalgesia) produced by chemical or mechanical nerve injury, and reduced autotomy-like behavior and lesion size after excitotoxic spinal cord injury. AG produced these effects in the absence of antinociceptive effects in acute pain tests. Endogenous AG also was detected in rodent lumbosacral spinal cord in concentrations similar to those previously detected in brain. The evidence suggests a unique antiplasticity and neuroprotective role for AG in
    processes underlying persistent pain and neuronal injury.

So, can we buy this as a supplement or are there certain foods that we should take ? I've never heard of it but sounds very interesting. Thanks :-)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06 2024, 17:06