THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
graham64
Wobblycogs
6 posters

Puzzled over Diet Doctor recommendations

Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Male Posts : 98

Puzzled over  Diet Doctor recommendations  Empty Puzzled over Diet Doctor recommendations

Post by Wobblycogs Tue May 01 2018, 15:46

I have noted on the 'Diet Doctor' site that they include 'gluten free 'wraps', around  a salad, to have instead of a salad sandwich. Surely gluten free is for persons who have a problem with gluten. I don't think I have a problem with gluten. I thought it was just the wheat and corn that was helping make me obese. I just wondered if I had a 'wrap' a couple of times a week, I might enjoy the next best thing to a bacon and tomato sandwich! Does Does anyone have any experience with gluten free wraps . May be I could make gluten free pancakes too!. That would be nice! I could see if lemon juice and sweetener would be as nice as lemon and sugar!

And what's the score on baked beans please? (I use Asda's own; low sugar and salt.) I rinse away the tomato sauce in a sieve, and whizz up a couple of tinned tomatoes, with some tomato puree, and it tastes better than Heinz. Again, I don't eat these to excess. mrgreen
    Cheers Wobbly  beer
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Puzzled over  Diet Doctor recommendations  Empty Re: Puzzled over Diet Doctor recommendations

Post by graham64 Wed May 02 2018, 21:47

Wobblycogs wrote:I have noted on the 'Diet Doctor' site that they include 'gluten free 'wraps', around  a salad, to have instead of a salad sandwich. Surely gluten free is for persons who have a problem with gluten. I don't think I have a problem with gluten. I thought it was just the wheat and corn that was helping make me obese. I just wondered if I had a 'wrap' a couple of times a week, I might enjoy the next best thing to a bacon and tomato sandwich! Does Does anyone have any experience with gluten free wraps . May be I could make gluten free pancakes too!. That would be nice! I could see if lemon juice and sweetener would be as nice as lemon and sugar!

And what's the score on baked beans please? (I use Asda's own; low sugar and salt.) I rinse away the tomato sauce in a sieve, and whizz up a couple of tinned tomatoes, with some tomato puree, and it tastes better than Heinz. Again, I don't eat these to excess.  mrgreen
    Cheers Wobbly  beer

Wouldn't worry to much about the gluten free wraps you will be already avoiding gluten by eliminating grains anyway, as for the beans rinsing the sauce off will reduce the carbs/sugar content but you really need to test your BG levels too  Smile
    chris c
    chris c

Puzzled over  Diet Doctor recommendations  Empty Re: Puzzled over Diet Doctor recommendations

Post by chris c Wed May 02 2018, 22:11

IMO it isn't the gluten in the wheat that affects me, more likely wheat germ agglutinin which affects insulin receptors. I haven't tried but I suspect"gluten free" stuff wouldn't be much different.

Personally I can do oatcakes in anatomically correct quantities - about 5 - 6 g carbs - and very small quantities of rice or quinoa without the same disaster as wheat. It's really a case of trying things and testing to find your own flight envelope.

Much the same with beans and pulses, I use small quantities of red kidney beans, green split peas and (frozen) broad beans, but not often as even when I eat a small enough quantity not to spike my glucose, I blow off like a carthorse. Runner beans don't do this.

I used 1 hour postprandial tests (generally when my glucose spikes) to eliminate or reduce things in my diet. I've ended up with a wide ranging diet, mostly meat. poultry, game, fish and non-starchy vegetables, much of which is actually very quick to cook and mostly uses only one or two pans.
    yoly
    yoly

Post by yoly Thu May 03 2018, 11:01

Grains are almost always high in carbs. There are a lot of low carbs alternatives that can be made wraps, bread and cake(with stevia) using almond or coconut flour. I do some mostly in the microwave and in 6 minutes or less have an acceptable tasty alternative.

Aside from gluten many grain are also contaminated with fungal toxins from storage even in a very small quantity many respond badly to them.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Thu May 03 2018, 19:43

Wobblycogs wrote:I have noted on the 'Diet Doctor' site that they include 'gluten free 'wraps', around  a salad, to have instead of a salad sandwich. Surely gluten free is for persons who have a problem with gluten. I don't think I have a problem with gluten. I thought it was just the wheat and corn that was helping make me obese. I just wondered if I had a 'wrap' a couple of times a week, I might enjoy the next best thing to a bacon and tomato sandwich! Does Does anyone have any experience with gluten free wraps . May be I could make gluten free pancakes too!. That would be nice! I could see if lemon juice and sweetener would be as nice as lemon and sugar!

And what's the score on baked beans please? (I use Asda's own; low sugar and salt.) I rinse away the tomato sauce in a sieve, and whizz up a couple of tinned tomatoes, with some tomato puree, and it tastes better than Heinz. Again, I don't eat these to excess.  mrgreen
    Cheers Wobbly  beer

Hi Wobbly
    I know many who do not have a problem with gluten but enjoy gluten free wraps, and there are many recipe suggestions on the internet. I think home made are better than many shop bought wraps ... have a look here
    https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/almost-zero-carb-wraps-tortillas-gluten-free-keto/

With regard to pancakes these are good
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/pancake-day-2015-low-carb-of-course.html

With regard to baked beans, it's not something I buy ... but Grahams suggestion is good and also of course always check BG readings ...

All the best Jan
    Long birder

Post by Long birder Fri May 04 2018, 16:59

Cheers Wobbly  beer

Hi Wobbly,
    Gluten flour separated from wheat is actually low carb because it is mainly protein.
    It is sometimes used in low carb bread with almond and soya flour etc. It helps the bread to rise but it is rather expensive on its own.

I cannot eat standard bread with carbs due to my blood glucose response, but I do not have any problems with gluten protein.
    regards
    Derek
    Ps Baked beans often have added sugar and carbs in legumes have to be watched.
    regards
    Derek
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri May 04 2018, 20:47

yoly wrote:Grains are almost always high in carbs. There are a lot of low carbs alternatives that can be made wraps, bread and cake(with stevia) using almond or coconut flour. I do some mostly in the microwave and in 6 minutes or less have an acceptable tasty alternative.

Aside from gluten many grain are also contaminated with fungal toxins from storage even in a very small quantity many respond badly to them.

Also the chemicals including glyphosate which is now routinely used to dessicate wheat and rape prior to harvest, and the bad effects of neonicotinides are only just emerging.

As the incomparable J Stanton (gnolls.org) wrote

birdseed and diesel fuel are NOT food groups

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 02:07