THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

Circling the Wagons, Science Style: AHA Saturated Biases Redux

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Circling the Wagons, Science Style: AHA Saturated Biases Redux Empty Circling the Wagons, Science Style: AHA Saturated Biases Redux

Post by graham64 Mon Aug 07 2017, 22:40

It shocks me when a professional group circles the wagons and starts firing shots at people who point out undeniable errors in their research.

I appreciate, at least a little, what it’s like for insiders in these processes. I’ve been there dozens of times, including having chaired the development of national guidelines* in a hot button area. Once upon a time, I was even among the people sued by some companies because of a recommendation that didn’t go their way. I know what it’s like to feel besieged or bombarded.

Regardless of how heated others’ rhetoric becomes, though, when it comes to their scientific claims, I believe major organizations’ spokespeople have to be able to acknowledge error, and maintain scientific rigor in responding to methodological criticisms. I don’t think the author response to my comment on the 2017 American Heart Association (AHA) position paper on dietary fats managed to meet that standard.

This is a cloud with a silver lining for me, though! It provides an excellent example for one of my favorite things to do: discussing methods for detecting bias in research – and how to try to minimize your own biases while doing it.

Full blog post here: http://blogs.plos.org/absolutely-maybe/2017/08/02/circling-the-wagons-science-style-aha-saturated-biases-redux/
    chris c
    chris c

Circling the Wagons, Science Style: AHA Saturated Biases Redux Empty Re: Circling the Wagons, Science Style: AHA Saturated Biases Redux

Post by chris c Tue Aug 08 2017, 00:20

Nice! I'll read that later. I had a slice of baked salmon and chillies with samphire earlier, and I'm just around now getting hungry again so I'll have a pheasant breast stir fry first.

It's quite astonishing how far Real Science has moved on and yet there's an absolute glut of indignant supporters of stuff that has totally failed to work for he last few decades emerging from the woodwork declaring that we need to do exactly the same thing only harder and more and it WILL work next time, honest . . . lucky none of them are airframe engineers or bridge designers. Hmmm, I wonder if any dieticians ever moonlight at designing fireproof cladding for tower blocks . . .
    chris c
    chris c

Circling the Wagons, Science Style: AHA Saturated Biases Redux Empty Re: Circling the Wagons, Science Style: AHA Saturated Biases Redux

Post by chris c Fri Aug 11 2017, 22:53

Now this explains a LOT

http://foodmed.net/2017/08/07/medical-evangelism-adventist-diet-advice/

and the following post

I'm yet to watch Gary Fettke's video

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 14:33