THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

Human Foods That Can be Fatal to Dogs ...

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Human Foods That Can be Fatal to Dogs ... Empty Human Foods That Can be Fatal to Dogs ...

Post by Jan1 Sat Jun 24 2017, 19:06

I've never had a dog for a pet. Yes ... I can remember that on quite a few occasions the children said "can we have a dog" but the answer was always no. I've not got anything against dogs but any pet carries a responsibility and if you choose to have one then you must have the time to look after it properly...

For those that do have a dog I feel sure you are aware of the human foods that can cause them damage ...
    I must admit I was quite surprised to read about these seven human foods that can be fatal to dogs.

" Certain foods that are safe for humans can be harmful to dogs.
    Because dogs have a different metabolism than people, feeding human foods to dogs can be very dangerous for their health and may even be fatal in some cases.
    This article reviews seven food items that have been proven toxic to dogs — so if you have a dog, it’s important to keep these foods out of their reach.

1. Avocados
    Avocados contain a toxin called persin. Persin is perfectly safe for human consumption, but can be very poisonous to dogs.

2. Xylitol
    Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is often used to sweeten candy, chewing gum, toothpaste and baked goods.
    While deemed safe for human consumption, it can be deadly for dogs.

3. Coffee, Tea and Other Caffeine
    Caffeine is naturally found in coffee, tea, cocoa and guarana, a South American plant.
    It is also often added to soft drinks and medications.
    Caffeine can speed the heart rate and stimulate the nervous system in dogs.
    Within two to four hours of consuming caffeine, dogs may experience restlessness, excessive thirst, a lack of bladder control, vomiting and diarrhea.
    If dogs ingest too much caffeine, they can experience abnormal heart rhythm or lung failure, which can ultimately lead to death.

4. Grapes and Raisins
    Grapes and raisins can be extremely toxic to dogs.
    They can cause rapid kidney failure, which can ultimately be fatal.
    The toxic compounds in grapes are still unknown, but even small amounts can make your dog sick.
    Toxic levels vary from dog to dog, but one study reviewing 180 reports found that some dogs died after eating just a handful of raisins.

5. Alcohol and Yeast Dough
    Alcohol is found in a variety of products including alcoholic beverages, perfumes, mouthwash, paint, varnish and various cleaning products.
    While occasional alcohol consumption is safe for humans, dogs cannot tolerate it, even in small amounts.
    Symptoms usually develop within an hour after consumption and include tiredness, depression, lack of muscle coordination, low body temperature, poor breathing, vomiting and diarrhea.
    If a dog consumes too much alcohol, it can result in lung failure, seizures, coma and even death.

6. Chocolate
    Chocolate contains the stimulant chemicals theobromine and caffeine, both of which are very difficult for dogs to metabolize.
    If a dog eats chocolate, it can cause stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration.
    These symptoms can also progress to more serious problems like heart attacks, internal bleeding, muscle tremors, seizures and death.
    The severity of the side effects depends on how large the dog is, and how much and what type of chocolate it has consumed.

7. Salt
    Eating too much salt could lead to a condition known as salt poisoning or water deprivation in dogs.
    This can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, fever and seizures. It may even be fatal in severe cases

Other Foods That May Be Harmful to Your Dog
    The following foods have not been proven deadly to dogs, but they can still be harmful.
    To be safe, you may want to avoid feeding the following foods to your dog.

Onions, garlic and chives: These can damage a dog’s red blood cells and cause anaemia. In severe cases, your dog could require a blood transfusion.

Milk and dairy products: Like humans, dogs can become intolerant to lactose over time. Consuming milk and dairy products may lead to vomiting, diarrhea and other digestive problems in dogs.

Macadamia nuts: These contain an unknown toxin that can cause weakness, muscle tremors and vomiting in dogs. Because of their high fat content, macadamia nuts can also lead to pancreatitis, or an inflamed pancreas.

Apples, apricots, cherries, peaches and plums: Their seeds or pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous. Eating them can lead to some pretty serious side effects, including digestive problems.

The Bottom Line
    Certain foods that are safe for humans can be very harmful to dogs, such as the seven listed here.
    The best way to avoid food poisoning in dogs is to only feed them dog food and keep human foods out of reach.
    If your dog has eaten something it should not have, contact your vet or call the pet poison hotline immediately."

These words are only part of an article taken from here
    https://authoritynutrition.com/7-foods-fatal-to-dogs/

I would just add that even dogs can be diabetic, so choose what type of dog food you feed them carefully and keep your family pet healthy!

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Human Foods That Can be Fatal to Dogs ... Empty Re: Human Foods That Can be Fatal to Dogs ...

Post by chris c Sun Jun 25 2017, 00:05

Good grief! I knew about the chocolate but not all the others.

Of course high carb dogfood is none too good for them either

Human Foods That Can be Fatal to Dogs ... Dalw6i10
    Jan1
    Jan1

Human Foods That Can be Fatal to Dogs ... Empty Re: Human Foods That Can be Fatal to Dogs ...

Post by Jan1 Sun Jun 25 2017, 12:56

... yes, I knew of chocolate but not about many of the others.

I think if you have any pets you should also be very aware of feeding them the right foods.
    Our domestic animals are also susceptible to Type 2 diabetes and many of the ready made pet foods contain high amounts of carbohydrates.

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Jun 27 2017, 00:57

I haven't has a dog for decades but I "inherited" a lovely but elderly Collie who belonged to my landlord's brother. When he went to work abroad the landlord took her in but didn't like her much. I thought she was sweet but sadly she became quite ill towards the end (I think she was 14 which is a pretty good age for a Collie) and we had to have her put to sleep Sad

Another place I lived the landlord had two Yellow Labradors. They could dig through ALL the garbage in the kitchen bin and find the tasty thing at the bottom in no time flat. Fortunately they never tried to eat anything toxic though.

They had two cats too, and several of the other tenants also had cats, so I often had a succession of furry visitors. Often the cats would come in over the roof and through the window. Once one came in and found me in the shower, and pulled up the carpet so I couldn't open the door, then attacked my hand when I tried to pull it out of the way to get back in.

They all ate proper food and unlike today with all the high carb kibble and crap none of them were ever fat, or diabetic, which has become so common.

Sometimes the cats would bring me presents, like a headless bird or part of a mouse. Once one went out on the roof and came back with a bat she had hooked out of the air. After she'd played with its corpse for a long time I realised it was not actually dead Sad They are actually pretty good at eating the right things when they aren't fed the wrong stuff. Worth learning from (except the garbage thing, obviously)
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Jun 27 2017, 18:51

Never had a cat either ...
    One of our sons has a cat, it came from the cat rescue and is a sweet thing ... he is careful what the cat eats, although I have seen it being offered 'dreamies' Evil or Very Mad  as a treat - perhaps not the best thing.

Back in my youth Smile my best friends family had a wonderful Collie dog and I can remember many a good walk being taken - we all got very good exercise - and the dog loved it too!
    Memories, memories ...those were the days

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Jun 29 2017, 22:13

Yes nowadays I pet other people's dogs when I meet them out walking, and other people's cats when I walk round the village. Like grandchildren, you can have your fun with them then hand them back when you get bored.

I was recently reminiscing about some of the neighbours who died. Among them were a couple of widows who outlived their husbands by years, but their dogs only by months or weeks.

Could have been worse though if the people had died and the dogs were still alive. Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11 2024, 16:41