THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+3
Paul1976
Dillinger
Mud Island Dweller
7 posters

Little Chef Saga

Mud Island Dweller
    Mud Island Dweller

Female Posts : 228

Little Chef Saga Empty Little Chef Saga

Post by Mud Island Dweller Fri Sep 26 2014, 08:23

I thought l would amuse you lot about my attempt at a meal last night.

Stopped at the Little Chef on the A34 just outside Oxford on the wa home last night.

Me...I would like the beefburger with cheese, bacon and garlic mayo BUT no bun and no chips instead l want a fried egg*

Her...Stares at me like l am from outer space and 3 heads (ok l was barefoot but she wasn't looking at my feet) No bun no chips?

Me... Correct a .... * (repeat order)

Her...But no bun and no chips (this is an alien concept for her)

Me.. correct, l am a T2 diabetic and potatoes, bread, pasta, rice puts my blood sugar up so l eat low carb high fat. (said slowly as waitress though nice is obviously not to bright)

Her... repeats order

Me... No beefburger *

Her... Would you like a baked potato with thet

Me... NO just what l asked for T2 diabetic bloods remember

Her/Me... She repeats something by now sounds totally unlike my order but l talk over her repeating the order about 3 times.

She goes off and l hear her repeating something in the kitchen that again l think l mis hear but sure chicken is mentioned but ...no l havebad hearing l know that.

Her.. Can l get you a drink?

Me... A cappuccino would be great thanks as weak as possibly if you can get one shot or less l would be happy.

Her... Placing meal before me with triumphant but rather dim smile proud to have managed such a hard order.

Me.... stare glumly at plate and loose will to live. 2 fried eggs (asked for 1) some lettuice and 2 small slices of tomato great some sort of mayo (not garlic) a breaded chicken slice  Sad not sent back there is no point so start to eat.

Her.... here's your drink l didn't put chocolate on as l KNOW that diabetics can not ever eat chocolate  Very Happy

Me... well actually l eat Lin...(my voice dies off l am already on a slippery slope l am not going to complicate it) ....ok thanks

Meal was ok but not what l wanted didn't tell them that life would have got more complicated. I see that as l had a burger after 18:00 l get a free soft drink... well l am not going without....

Come to pay go collect my drink from fridge... l get a free one right l asked.
    Ermmm yes l get a hesitant glance from her and followed by... the till won't accept it.
    Que the manageress as vague but nice as her.... umm oh look cause you had no bread it wont accept the drink.... waitress. l think we put the 2 eggs there instead though. They peer at computer poking it.
    Look l said getting a bit Alice in Wonderland. I am paying for a full burger aren't l
    Oh yes 2x beaming smiles.
    Ok l am having this you sort that later l have a long drive ahead.
    Ok we will do it as a normal burger...um pepsi max 2ltr ummm it doesn't have smaller 2 stare at computer.
    I raise my eyes to heaven and mutter through clenched teeth....Try scroll up!
    Ohhh ummm 600ml? seems strange amount?
    It is 20% extra the only ones you carry l sigh and melt towards the floor
    Oh of course (2 big beaming smiles)
    I place my card press button, take my card and slip repress so they get their paperwork and place it back as the 2 biddys are staring at the computer trying to work out how to put in l had 2 eggs and no bread...l snuck out exhausted.
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Male Posts : 209

Little Chef Saga Empty Re: Little Chef Saga

Post by Dillinger Fri Sep 26 2014, 09:08

I think your order should have been burger, bacon and mayo with an extra egg. Then just leave the bun/chips!

Best

Dillinger
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Fri Sep 26 2014, 09:20

Dillinger wrote:I think your order should have been burger, bacon and mayo with an extra egg. Then just leave the bun/chips!

Best

Dillinger

I find it easier to do that these days,some places just look at you like you've tried to order a Dodo egg when you try and alter a set dish on the menu...Except my local Beefeater which is very good and will swap the chips with extra mushrooms and salad when I explain my situation to the waiter/waitress.

Cheers

Paul
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Fri Sep 26 2014, 10:20

Shame when computer does not compute !
    Or people for that matter !

As Lisa says whose son is a Type 1 diabetic and calls her blog 'The Diabetic Alien' ...we know what we're doing we just have to re-educate the world .......not an easy task, but us low carbers are up for it.

Hope your Friday ( and everyone else's) goes well sunny

All the best Jan
    Mud Island Dweller
    Mud Island Dweller

Female Posts : 228

Post by Mud Island Dweller Fri Sep 26 2014, 10:47

But if l had done that Dillinger l would have been charged extra for the egg. Generally places are fine with changes this lady just couldn't cope Laughing
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Male Posts : 209

Post by Dillinger Fri Sep 26 2014, 11:57

Isn't the cost a fried egg a fair price for your sanity though?

I'm distressed at how much of my life is spent having these types of conversations;

https://youtu.be/OdKa9bXVinE

Best

Dillinger
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Fri Sep 26 2014, 13:05

Dillinger wrote:Isn't the cost a fried egg a fair price for your sanity though?

I'm distressed at how much of my life is spent having these types of conversations;

Best

Dillinger

Good ol' Monty Python! I love this clip from the 'Holy Grail' Smile

Cheers

Paul
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Fri Sep 26 2014, 16:30

lol you more patient than i Smile
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Sat Sep 27 2014, 21:48

Shame they're not all like Betty's tea rooms in Yorkshire - "I'll have the full English breakfast please but I don't need the toast". "Would you like an extra rasher of bacon or another egg instead of the toast?". "That would be great, cheers".

But I agree it's easier just to order off the menu and just leave what you don't want in places like LC. Remember Jack Nicholson trying to order 'off piste' in 'Five Easy Pieces'? Classic.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sat Sep 27 2014, 21:55

sanguine wrote:Shame they're not all like Betty's tea rooms in Yorkshire - "I'll have the full English breakfast please but I don't need the toast".  "Would you like an extra rasher of bacon or another egg instead of the toast?".  "That would be great, cheers".  

But I agree it's easier just to order off the menu and just leave what you don't want in places like LC.  Remember Jack Nicholson trying to order 'off piste' in 'Five Easy Pieces'?  Classic.

Often, not that we eat out often, I ask for no spuds but more green veg. Almost always it's a better deal for the same money. Lot's of far more expensive vegetables for the menu price. Now that's what I call a good deal.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 08:12