THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Patterns of dairy food intake, body composition and markers of metabolic health in Ireland

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Patterns of dairy food intake, body composition and markers of metabolic health in Ireland Empty Patterns of dairy food intake, body composition and markers of metabolic health in Ireland

Post by graham64 Wed Mar 01 2017, 21:54

Results from the National Adult Nutrition Survey

Abstract 

Background: Studies examining the association between dairy consumption and metabolic health have shown mixed results. This may be due, in part, to the use of different definitions of dairy, and to single types of dairy foods examined in isolation.

Objective: The objective of the study was to examine associations between dairy food intake and metabolic health, identify patterns of dairy food consumption and determine whether dairy dietary patterns are associated with outcomes of metabolic health, in a cross-sectional survey.

Design: A 4-day food diary was used to assess food and beverage consumption, including dairy (defined as milk, cheese, yogurt, cream and butter) in free-living, healthy Irish adults aged 18–90 years (n=1500). Fasting blood samples (n=897) were collected, and anthropometric measurements taken. Differences in metabolic health markers across patterns and tertiles of dairy consumption were tested via analysis of covariance. Patterns of dairy food consumption, of different fat contents, were identified using cluster analysis.

Results: Higher (total) dairy was associated with lower body mass index, %body fat, waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio (P<0.001), and lower systolic (P=0.02) and diastolic (P<0.001) blood pressure. Similar trends were observed when milk and yogurt intakes were considered separately. Higher cheese consumption was associated with higher C-peptide (P<0.001). Dietary pattern analysis identified three patterns (clusters) of dairy consumption; 'Whole milk', 'Reduced fat milks and yogurt' and 'Butter and cream'. The 'Reduced fat milks and yogurt' cluster had the highest scores on a Healthy Eating Index, and lower-fat and saturated fat intakes, but greater triglyceride levels (P=0.028) and total cholesterol (P=0.015). conclusion: Overall, these results suggest that while milk and yogurt consumption is associated with a favourable body phenotype, the blood lipid profiles are less favourable when eaten as part of a low-fat high-carbohydrate dietary pattern. More research is needed to better understand this association.

Conclusion: Overall, these results suggest that although milk and yogurt consumption is associated with a favourable body phenotype, the blood lipid profiles are less favourable when eaten as part of a low-fat high-carbohydrate dietary pattern. More research is needed to better understand this association.

Full text: http://www.nature.com/nutd/journal/v7/n2/full/nutd201654a.html

Don't think the conclusion will come as a surprise to those following LCHF
    chris c
    chris c

Patterns of dairy food intake, body composition and markers of metabolic health in Ireland Empty Re: Patterns of dairy food intake, body composition and markers of metabolic health in Ireland

Post by chris c Wed Mar 01 2017, 23:30

Yes it's the Irish Paradox. How much more research is required before they conclude they have been talking out of their arse for decades now?

Even Ron Krauss was caught out once by the fact that milk was worse than cheese. Well it is higher carb, low fat dairy especially so. So not really a surprise then.

Currently I'm eating Kerrygold.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Patterns of dairy food intake, body composition and markers of metabolic health in Ireland Empty Re: Patterns of dairy food intake, body composition and markers of metabolic health in Ireland

Post by Jan1 Thu Mar 02 2017, 19:36

chris c wrote:

Currently I'm eating Kerrygold.

For me Kerrygold is the best ...

I always look out for any special offers on it - please keep me posted should you, or anyone, see one.

Thanks ...

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Mar 02 2017, 22:50

Not only haven't seen ANY special offers on butter for a while now but one of my other favourites - President - which Graham reminded me about recently, has vanished entirely. Currently the choice is between Kerrygold and Anchor. I might retry the Co-Op own brand, and Lurpak which has a rather weird flavour. I will NOT be trying the most recent Stork though even if it does "contain butter".

That reminds me I haven't seen the Irish cheddar I used to like for cooking for ages either.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Fri Mar 03 2017, 22:11

Nope not seen any offers on butter of late, glad I don't have any problems sourcing my favourite though President, both Waitrose and Sainsbury's always have it in stock  Cool
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Mar 04 2017, 23:15

I feel a shopping trip coming on, there's a Waitrose in a town just down the road.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 07:28