THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
Jan1
Wobblycogs
6 posters

I have just climbed back on the wagon...

Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Male Posts : 98

I have just climbed back on the wagon... Empty I have just climbed back on the wagon...

Post by Wobblycogs Mon May 30 2016, 10:17

imsorry friends, but over the last few months I fell off the low carb wagon.
    My wife was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease about 12 months ago. It was okay for a while, and at first I managed quite well. But now I am doing everything on the distaff side, without a break, (Other than personal care four times a day for my Lady by visiting carers.) I started neglecting my own health.

Sadly I began to nibble on the foods I was preparing for my wife, and then I went off bacon and eggs. For quickness I began eating porridge breakfasts again, with sweetener. Then the sweetener caused problems at 'the other end'! So I started using just a little sugar.  And of course I am eating potatoes as well, and puff-pastry when I make Mrs. W her favourite chicken and mushroom pie.  I could just eat the filling I suppose, but that pastry is too hard to resist.
    However, help is at hand. I noticed my lower legs swelling again. so I am back on low-carb with a vengeance.  Except I am still 'off' bacon and eggs. So I stocked up on frozen kippers. Does anyone have any suggestions for replacing the toast I normally eat with kippers?  I just can't face them straight I fear!
    One thing I don't understand though is why ditching the metformin hasn't made a jot of difference to my blood sugar readings. Neither do I have any episodes I could call 'diabetes related'.  Strange...   rofl

Cheers
    Wobbly.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

I have just climbed back on the wagon... Empty Re: I have just climbed back on the wagon...

Post by Jan1 Mon May 30 2016, 14:34

Hello Wobbly ... good to read your post here.
    It is never easy caring for someone with Parkinson's, (an Uncle of mine had it) or in the case of our immediate family,  Alzheimer's (my mum had it). It can so often be 'easy' to fall off the low carb wagon. But don't despair ... as you say you are now back on it.

Kippers for breakfast with some wilted spinach is nice or scrambled eggs can be good, when/if you start eating them again.

With regard to toast ... have you considered using one of the lower carb breads such as Liv Life see here http://www.livlifefoods.co.uk/ or I believe Sainsburys do offer a Hi-lo Loaf http://www.hi-lo-bread.co.uk/

You may like to make some 'low carb' alternative bread like this recipe here:

https://lowcarbdiabetic.forumotion.co.uk/t364-oopsies-low-carb-bread?highlight=oopsie+bread

Or how about this one?

https://lowcarbdiabetic.forumotion.co.uk/t55-low-carb-flax-seed-bread?highlight=flaxseed+bread

Hope this may help

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

I have just climbed back on the wagon... Empty Re: I have just climbed back on the wagon...

Post by graham64 Mon May 30 2016, 22:01

Wobblycogs wrote:imsorry friends, but over the last few months I fell off the low carb wagon.
    My wife was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease about 12 months ago. It was okay for a while, and at first I managed quite well. But now I am doing everything on the distaff side, without a break, (Other than personal care four times a day for my Lady by visiting carers.) I started neglecting my own health.

Sadly I began to nibble on the foods I was preparing for my wife, and then I went off bacon and eggs. For quickness I began eating porridge breakfasts again, with sweetener. Then the sweetener caused problems at 'the other end'! So I started using just a little sugar.  And of course I am eating potatoes as well, and puff-pastry when I make Mrs. W her favourite chicken and mushroom pie.  I could just eat the filling I suppose, but that pastry is too hard to resist.
    However, help is at hand. I noticed my lower legs swelling again. so I am back on low-carb with a vengeance.  Except I am still 'off' bacon and eggs. So I stocked up on frozen kippers. Does anyone have any suggestions for replacing the toast I normally eat with kippers?  I just can't face them straight I fear!
    One thing I don't understand though is why ditching the metformin hasn't made a jot of difference to my blood sugar readings. Neither do I have any episodes I could call 'diabetes related'.  Strange...   rofl

Cheers
    Wobbly.

So sorry to hear about your wife mate, given the circumstances it's understandable your own diet got neglected, good your back on the wagon seeing your wife needs a lot of care you need to keep yourself fit

As for metformin to be honest it's effects on BG is limited, I only take it to keep nursie happy and as she is the one who's sanctioned my test strips for the past eight years need to keep in her good books

Take care
    Graham
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Tue May 31 2016, 07:10

Sorry to hear about your missus Sad

Totally understandable falling off the wagon

Good luck mate
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Male Posts : 98

Post by Wobblycogs Tue May 31 2016, 09:59

Thanks for the support folks. It's appreciated.
    With regard to the specialty breads, I wonder if this would be something along the lines of 'Slimcea' and 'Nimble' from the seventies? There were one or two 'light' diet breads available then. So someone must have known something they don't tell us now, about bread? Yes?

I don't know what they did to lighten Slimcea and Nimble, but my Doctor at the time (An avid low carber for his diabetic, and obese patients) said, 'Don't buy these special breads. If you are worried about eating bread, then just eat half the quantity you normally eat of a decent bread; or leave it alone altogether.' Rest his soul! .'  To be honest, Slimcea did taste a bit 'waferey'!

I just ordered some Golden flaxseed, as I fancy making some of the lightweight,   eggy-bread.  I going to crush up some pecan nuts to add to it! Whatever, I must steer clear of any kind of wheat bread, for sure.

Cheers and thanks again folks.

Wobbly beer
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Tue May 31 2016, 19:34

Hi Wobbly, Try the Lidl 29p high protein rolls. They are dark brown in colour and basically triangular in shape with only 11grams carbs and a lot of protein but very filling.
    They are not exactly bread but OK. I find the flax bread sickly.
    atb

Derek
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Tue May 31 2016, 21:49

I'm not a fan of flax bread either it seems to be a marmite situation you either love it or hate it, still worth giving it a go though
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jun 01 2016, 21:53

Sorry to hear about your wife. Not sure what type of diet may be best for Parkinsons but ketosis seems to help other brain conditions, from epilepsy to cancer and including Alzheimers.

My go-to carb is oatcakes, preferably Nairns (who probably also make the Co-Op own brand) which are about 5 - 6g carbs and unlike some others contain no wheat, which does a number of my BG and causes GERD. I use them mainly to hold up the butter, cheese and smoked salmon. Try one or two, buttered, with the kipper and some spinach - frozen is good - and/or toasted almonds, a couple of my favourite accompaniments to fish.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 17:38