THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

EastEnders and Diabetes – A Gaff or Not?

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

EastEnders and Diabetes – A Gaff or Not? Empty EastEnders and Diabetes – A Gaff or Not?

Post by Jan1 Fri Mar 04 2016, 12:27

I saw this on The Diabetes Diet Blog - link is given below.

"One story that caught our attention this week was a piece in the news about EastEnders making a diabetes-related gaff.

Referring to a children’s party, a character in the show had talked about the food on offer, commenting that it wasn’t a good children’s party unless a kid got diabetes. The press talked it up along the lines of “outrage as EastEnders makes a mockery of those with a chronic illness” kind of thing (I paraphrase).

The “outrage” (and often outrage is a complete media invention) seemed to be about the supposed wrong understanding of what childhood diabetes is – because type 1 diabetes isn’t caused by sugar intake. Or that diabetes is a laughing matter, according to the outraged who awarded EastEnders social media exaggeration along the lines of #epicfail

There are a number of issues here. The character didn’t actually classify what kind of diabetes the children would get – she just said diabetes. In reality, younger and younger people are now falling victim to type 2 diabetes because of increased body weights in younger people. Increased body weight can be due to excessive sugar intake, which also causes insulin resistance and can eventually lead to type 2 diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes, on the other hand, is an auto-immune condition. Its exact causes are unknown. But do people in possession of common sense seeking an accurate understanding of medical conditions and what they involve look to EastEnders? Really? Does a soap opera have that responsibility?

Did I laugh when I read the story? Yup. Do I think it’s done massive damage to the diabetes cause in the UK? Nope.

Years ago, as a newly-diagnosed 10-year-old, a boy in my primary school class told me I had type 1 diabetes because I’d eaten too much sugar. Luckily for my self-esteem I knew he wasn’t right (though I wasn’t confident enough to actually challenge him) but in later years my older self knew that he hadn’t been that far off the mark when it comes to sugar and what it does to bodies.

Let’s look at this ‘gaff’ in another way too. Suppose our character Kim’s saying about children getting diabetes from eating too much sugar was taken to heart by the nation and parents all over the UK decided to cut sugar out of their kids’ diets completely.

Heavens. Would that be such a terrible thing…? "

Words above taken from article here
    http://diabetesdietblog.com/2016/03/04/eastenders-and-diabetes-a-gaff-or-not/

The article does also contain links - so do go over and have a read!

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

EastEnders and Diabetes – A Gaff or Not? Empty Re: EastEnders and Diabetes – A Gaff or Not?

Post by chris c Sun Mar 06 2016, 23:58

Hey these are characters in a soap opera, who expects them to have a clue about anything except "fambly" and violence?

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 13:12