THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

Sugar in Fruit

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Sugar in Fruit Empty Sugar in Fruit

Post by Jan1 Tue Dec 29 2015, 12:55

Eddie and I enjoy a selection of 'low carb fruits' in our menu plans, served with double cream they do taste great !

Sugar in Fruit FRUIT%252520BERRIES%252520jpeg

Some low carb fruits. Strawberries 6 grams. Blackberries 5.1 grams. Raspberries 4.6 grams. per 100 grams.

Reading Zoe Harcombes recent post I thought it one to share...

Sugar in fruit

" Five a day is not an evidence based nutrition message. In this post I ask the question – is it still a good message – even though it’s not evidence based? I give five reasons as to why it is not a good message: the lost opportunity of making “eat real food” as well known as “five a day”;  people having five a day ‘as well as’ not ‘instead of’; making bad choices to get five a day; the problem of fruit and starchy vegetables for carbohydrate sensitive/insulin resistant people; and the weight issue with fructose. As Gary Taubes says “If you’re overweight, fruit is not your friend.”

2015 has seen far greater awareness about sugar and there have been many newspaper articles showing how many teaspoons of sugar are in everything from pizza to prosecco. This post is about sugar in fruit.

Different forms of sugar ... you can go and read more here

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2015/12/sugar-in-fruit/
    Derek
    Derek

Sugar in Fruit Empty Re: Sugar in Fruit

Post by Derek Thu Dec 31 2015, 11:43

Thanks Jan,
    I worked through the references and it is helping me possibly find the cause of my N.A.F.L.D.
    It is particularly Dr.Robert Lustig and Dr.Richard Johnson who were involved in this work.

Interesting reading, apparently the body can make fructose from non fructose carbs if our insulin resistance is poor.

atb
    Derek
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Jan 01 2016, 12:18

Derek wrote:Thanks Jan,
    I worked through the references and it is helping me possibly find the cause of my N.A.F.L.D.
    It is particularly Dr.Robert Lustig and Dr.Richard Johnson who were involved in this work.

Interesting reading, apparently the body can make fructose from non fructose carbs if our insulin resistance is poor.

atb
    Derek

Pleased it may have helped - there is a wealth of information available, some better than others of course, but I've got good respect for Zoe Harcombes work and the two Drs you mention.

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Jan 01 2016, 12:25

Now if anyone enjoys these two lower carb fruits raspberries, blackberries ... then you may enjoy this recipe idea. Each sundae works out at 8.3g carb per serving

Sugar in Fruit Raspberrysundae

Raspberry Chocolate Low Carb Sundae

INGREDIENTS:
    Serves 4 - 5
    500ml double cream
    3 tbs cocoa powder
    2 tbs stevia or sweetener of choice
    1 cup raspberries
    1 cup blackberries
    shredded coconut flakes

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Whip the cream, cocoa powder and stevia together until quite firm, but do not over whip the cream or it make split.
    Choose wine glasses or tumblers and start to layer the chocolate cream alternately with the raspberries, blackberries and shredded coconut.
    Continue until you have at least 4 layers.
    Top the sundae off with more raspberries, blackberries and coconut flakes.

Recipe idea can be seen here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/raspberry-chocolate-low-carb-sundae.html

and originally here
    http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2014/04/17/raspberry-chocolate-low-carb-sundae/

Enjoy ...

All the best Jan

flower

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 06:51