THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+4
graham64
chris c
RANDBURG
Jan1
8 posters

Too Much Weather !!!

Derek
    Derek

Too Much Weather !!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Too Much Weather !!!

Post by Derek Thu Jan 21 2016, 22:06

I saw the first snowdrops coming through the snow at the weekend. The snow finally disappeared today in our northeast facing garden as the weather turned mild.
    atb
    Derek
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Jan 21 2016, 22:17

Derek wrote:I saw the first snowdrops coming through the snow at the weekend. The snow finally disappeared today in our northeast facing garden as the weather turned mild.
    atb
    Derek

Not had much in the way of snow here, after a very pleasant day Wednesday sunny with only a light breeze back to normal overcast with a bitterly cold wind Crying or Very sad
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Fri Jan 22 2016, 19:06

I've always liked snow drops ... especially nice to see them when they peep through any snow

Too Much Weather !!! - Page 2 Snowdrop_bells

I took the photo from Wikipedia which also has a host of interesting points about snowdrops

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galanthus_nivalis

But talking of 'too much weather' it seems the US are now on blizzard alert

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2016/01/22/usa-prepares-for-monster-storm/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D422947

and we no doubt will be having Mediterranean temperatures again soon  ...

Honestly what's a girl to do !  flower  Dressing gets more problematical each day LOL lol!

It was quite pleasant, when I ventured out earlier - I wonder what's it been like where you are?

All the best Jan
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Sat Jan 23 2016, 07:26

I've spent the whole wet, mild winter saying "id rather it was cold and dry" well after this cold snap....gimme the rain
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Jan 23 2016, 18:47

Well out earlier and I originally put a thicker coat on ... then decided to change it!
    Glad I did the temperature had gone up ... knowing our weather the summer shorts will be out soon Exclamation  

Not the same in the US though

" More than 50 million people across more than a dozen states have been warned to stay at home as it moves north.
    The nation's capital, Washington, could lie under a record 30in (76cm) of snow by the time the storm passes on Sunday.
    At least nine people have been killed and a state of emergency declared in 10 states. Transport services have been cancelled, and homes are without power.
    The weather system affects a huge swathe of the country, from Arkansas in the south to Massachusetts in the north-east.
    Supermarkets ran out of food amid a rush for supplies before the first snowflakes fell on Friday."

Story line here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35374741
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Jan 23 2016, 23:45

A whole bunch more daffs and snowdrops out in various places around these parts.

We lack rabbits but have hares instead, probably one reason for fewer foxes (both are rampant further east on the sands). Not many badgers either, though they had to fence parts of the reserve at Minsmere to keep them from eating all the eggs and baby birds. Loads of deer though, and a damn rat which has dug out the mole runs and pops up under one of my bird feeders.

There used to be a LOT of urban foxes when I lived in Bristol, and quite a few in Surrey, including in the garden and running up and down the road trying to break into the garbage bins.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Jan 25 2016, 23:35

Walked a couple of miles down the coast from Walberswick again today. When I started the wind was getting up, by the time I turned back it was blowing half a hoolie, so I returned much faster than I went out. The sun was mostly out, which was nice.

When I got home, as the sun was going down, a blackbird was singing its little heart out on a neighbour's chimney.

I had breakfast around 10, my usual thickly buttered oatcake with smoked salmon, and dinner around 6 - a huge slice of lamb's liver and a portobello lightly fried in olive oil, three slices of grilled bacon, half a dozen brussels sprouts, a couple more buttered oatcakes, a glass of carmenere and a square of 85% chocolate. Then crashed out for a couple of hours.

To our DUK visitors, how can I improve on this? Eat carbs every two hours, regain 15kg, blow my BG into the rafters, halve my HDL and multiply my trigs will help my health how exactly?
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Jan 26 2016, 14:21

Well that walk sounds great, as does the breakfast and dinner ... but I think we may need to make the most of any dry time to enjoy a walk as apparently:

'Britain braced as Storm Jonas' hits:

Too Much Weather !!! - Page 2 Rainyork

Huge swathes of the UK are braced for a deluge of rain which could pour more misery on communities still reeling from flooding after Christmas.
    The remnants of storm Jonas, which blanketed much of the east coast of America in deep snow, have begun to sweep in from the Atlantic, prompting widespread weather and flood alerts.
    Environment Secretary Elizabeth Truss has chaired an emergency meeting in order to co-ordinate the Government's response to the expected rainfall, which could be as much as 100mm (3.9ins) in hilly areas.
    Warnings are in place across Wales, Scotland, Lancashire, Cumbria, Yorkshire and Devon and Cornwall, many of which were saturated during the wettest December on record.
    Scores of flood alerts were in place on Tuesday morning and the Environment Agency (EA) said areas already affected by record river levels, including Cumbria, Lancashire and Yorkshire, were likely to be at risk of flooding as heavy rain throughout Tuesday and into Wednesday could cause river levels to rise and drains to flood.
    The Met Office has issued yellow warnings for heavy rain and severe gales in these areas, with forecasters predicting around 30 to 50mm of rain in most areas. Parts of Scotland are likely to face winds of up to 70mph.
    Laura Caldwell, a forecaster at MeteoGroup, said heavy rain had hit western Scotland and north-west England overnight.
    She said: "Between 10 and 25mm fell in a few hours overnight in those areas and through the course of today the rain will sweep across most of the UK. Southern Scotland, the west of England and Wales will be particularly affected.
    "This is the remnants of storm Jonas. The warmer, very moist, tropical air is bringing in this potentially very high rainfall."
    Ms Truss, who chaired a COBR committee last night, said the military were on standby and pumps had been deployed in order to deal with any flooding as she attempted to reassure "anxious" flood-hit communities.
    A second band of heavy rain is forecast for Friday, according to the Met Office, with yellow warnings already in place for parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland, north-east England and Wales.

As reported here
    http://www.aol.co.uk/news/2016/01/26/new-flood-fears-as-storm-jonas-heads-for-uk/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cukt1%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D423924

.... perhaps I'll just stay in and prepare a great LCHF meal ... this one's nice...

https://lowcarbdiabetic.forumotion.co.uk/t1262-greek-style-moussaka-tastes-delicious?highlight=moussaka

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jan 27 2016, 19:18

We missed most of the rain this far east, but not the wind which was pretty horrendous. Tomorrow the sun's supposed to be out again, shall I go for another long walk or do the gardening?

In the interests of full disclosure, later on monday night I had a second meal, a small quantity of boiled rice, about the same quantity of almonds toasted on olive oil, then I threw in the rice and a tin of mackerel.

Largely because of the weather I had spent some time alternating between active days and sedentary days, and noticed that while I didn't eat more after my walks or gardening exertions I would be hungrier the following day.

This makes sense from a hunter-gatherer perspective, while my body thinks I am hunting and gathering it keeps me from hunger. Then when I stop it assumes I have hunted and gathered enough and should eat it and racks up the hunger.

Still not a patch on the MUST EAT NOW!!! carb cravings I used to suffer from though.

Best part of the wind is that I seem to have adopted a Kestrel, as a change from the usual Sparrowhawks, and it has been hovering over the garden in a most spectacular display with its wings and body and tail twisting this way and that while its head remains motionless.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Jan 28 2016, 13:30

Phone call from one of our sons last night

"Mum, you should see the village phone box - it's about 3ft under water"

He then sent this picture

Too Much Weather !!! - Page 2 Khunderwater

Definitely too much weather!!!   affraid
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Jan 28 2016, 21:48

I went for another walk in the sun, but left it a bit late to go out, I was enjoying sitting indoors with the heating on looking out the window, then driving around with the heater on looking through the windscreen.

Walked around the coast near Hollesley where the RSPB have been transforming some scraggy watermeadows just inland from the sea wall by digging out some shallow lagoons and channels into what is already quite a fine reserve, and which backs onto a Suffolk Wildlife Trust reserve on the coast itself.

There was a Glossy Ibis, usually a misnomer as Scruffy Ibis would be more apt - but this one actually was quite shiny. Unfortunately to see it I plunged into some water and mud which filled one of my boots. I will need to visit the shoe shop tomorrow for some replacements. A couple of Whooper Swans flew over, whooping which was convenient, and a whole bunch of geese flew down the coast too far out to identify, except for about 15 Brent Geese which landed in the lagoon alongside the gazillions of assorted ducks and numerous waders. As the sun set I felt as if I was in a Peter Scott painting. 

Came back to some more liver, bacon, mushrooms and purple sprouting broccoli. I buy two or three slices of lamb's liver every couple of weeks now, it's cheap as chips, takes no time to cook and is full of nutrition.

No doubt DUK and dieticians will try to scare you off "because of all that fat", I say bring it on!

Where was that flood then?
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Jan 28 2016, 22:38

Woke up to a fine if cold morning the sun came out and it looked like being a fine day  sunny, decided that after doing some shopping that I might go for a walk but alas it was not to be for 

chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Jan 29 2016, 21:14

Heh heh, BTDT.

My friend who is a fencing contractor among other things has been rushed off his feet since the previous storm. He only just got round to replacing a neighbour's fence and I was half expecting it to be blown down again but we got away with it, it was blowy but not as bad as elsewhere, looking at the news reports from Scotland...

Went to the podiatrist in my carpet slippers - my boots are currently residing in a bucket - and bought me a new pair of Apex boots (used to be Aetrex) which are lightweight and supremely comfortable but NOT waterproof. Once I had a funny half hour and was looking for my boots everywhere before realising I was already wearing them - they are so comfortable I assumed I was still wearing my slippers. 

I also bought a pair of Chathams which are not only waterproof but half price, and just for good measure replaced the slippers too. The technology of shoes has improved immeasurably in recent years, though they are pricey. 

Went for a drive through numerous villages looking at the snowdrops and daffs in the churchyards and elsewhere, then walked up the lane across the fields from here. I was beginning to think I wasn't going to make it but the howling wind was largely broken up by the hedges. Dropped by some friends who live there and have a gorgeous daughter and two of the cutest grandkids, one of whom is a Thomas The Tank Engine fan - that took me back half a century or more.

Got back home and fed my face with a chicken and prawn curry. The wind has mostly dropped but it's started raining again. Now the kitchen sink drain is blocked and even my giant plunger wouldn't clear it (they can't touch you for it) <sigh> one step forward, two steps back
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Jan 29 2016, 21:42

My fencing panels are intact despite a howling gale this morning that said I've replaced four in the last year, wish I could say the same for my neighbour though most of the panels on his side have already blown out.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Jan 29 2016, 21:59

We're lucky to have a competent guy living just up the road, though most of his work is agricultural he will also do domestic stuff to the same standard. I can't remember any storms of any ferocity prior to 1987, then there was another not so bad one (in the south) in 1991. Nowadays they are much more common. An ill wind blows him a half decent bank balance. I'll ask if he wants a working holiday up north <G>
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Jan 29 2016, 22:12

chris c wrote:We're lucky to have a competent guy living just up the road, though most of his work is agricultural he will also do domestic stuff to the same standard. I can't remember any storms of any ferocity prior to 1987, then there was another not so bad one (in the south) in 1991. Nowadays they are much more common. An ill wind blows him a half decent bank balance. I'll ask if he wants a working holiday up north <G>

Won't get much work off me Chris I replace all the panels myself a local company delivers free at a very competitive price  Very Happy
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Jan 30 2016, 18:19

Too Much Weather !!! - Page 2 Birdwatchbluetits

It's the RSPB Garden Birdwatch weekend, I wonder if the unusual weather this winter could affect which birds are seen in gardens ... time will tell.

It's turned a little colder today so I think some of the birds may be 'shivering' ...important to keep garden feeders stocked so that birds can find food whatever the weather. Smile

All the best Jan
    Sharon

Post by Sharon Sat Jan 30 2016, 20:14

niece is doing bird watch at school . part of nature or science lesson i think . she is enjoying it .
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Jan 31 2016, 13:36

Sharon wrote:niece is doing bird watch at school . part of nature or science lesson i think . she is enjoying it .

I think the RSPB are usually well supported  for the Garden Watch and similar studies ... and if things like this are used in schools it can start the younger generation being interested in nature and the living world, which I think can be good.

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Jan 31 2016, 13:44

Too Much Weather !!! - Page 2 Pied-wagtail

Did spot one of these yesterday I just call them wagtails but I think there are different types!

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Jan 31 2016, 20:23

That's a pied wagtail. Sometimes you might see a paler continental version, the white wagtail. The other common one is the grey wagtail which is predominantly yellow. Yellow wagtails which are even yellower aren't nearly so common now.

Pied wagtails often roost communally, often in towns. They nest on a neighbour's roof, under the solar panel.

Not that much in the garden this winter, I suspect the mild weather means there's still a lot of natural food around. I mainly have chaffinches and greenfinches plus a few blackbirds and robins and dunnocks, and rooks and jackdaws enough to make a Hitchcock film. No pheasants or partridges for a long time and even the fat bastard pigeons don't hang around that long when there are fields of rape to be eaten.

I fitted in a couple of walks today, although fairly short ones, as it sounds as if the weather will be back with a vengeance tomorrow. Remains to be seen how much of it makes it this far south and east. Looks like Scotland will get the worst of it again Sad
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Jan 31 2016, 21:21

chris c wrote:
    I fitted in a couple of walks today, although fairly short ones, as it sounds as if the weather will be back with a vengeance tomorrow. Remains to be seen how much of it makes it this far south and east. Looks like Scotland will get the worst of it again Sad

Lucky you mrgreen it's never stopped raining here very windy too Sad  a walk is out of the question
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Tue Feb 02 2016, 18:56

Hi Chris,
    It looks like a summer male alba to me.Smile
    atb
    Derek

chris c wrote:That's a pied wagtail. Sometimes you might see a paler continental version, the white wagtail. The other common one is the grey wagtail which is predominantly yellow. Yellow wagtails which are even yellower aren't nearly so common now.

Pied wagtails often roost communally, often in towns. They nest on a neighbour's roof, under the solar panel.

Not that much in the garden this winter, I suspect the mild weather means there's still a lot of natural food around. I mainly have chaffinches and greenfinches plus a few blackbirds and robins and dunnocks, and rooks and jackdaws enough to make a Hitchcock film. No pheasants or partridges for a long time and even the fat bastard pigeons don't hang around that long when there are fields of rape to be eaten.

chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Feb 04 2016, 23:58

Derek wrote:Hi Chris,
    atb
    Derek
    One of us may have a monitor that needs adjusting! Looks too dark from over here.

I saw a definite white wagtail on the beach last spring along with a bunch of ordinary pieds - it was much lighter, almost like a herring gull in a flock of lesser blackbacks. But then it was probably still in winter plumage.
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Fri Feb 05 2016, 09:12

chris c wrote:
    Derek wrote:Hi Chris,
    atb
    Derek
    One of us may have a monitor that needs adjusting! Looks too dark from over here.

I saw a definite white wagtail on the beach last spring along with a bunch of ordinary pieds - it was much lighter, almost like a herring gull in a flock of lesser blackbacks. But then it was probably still in winter plumage.
    Chris,
    it doesn't have a black back like Pied or the messy flank line of Pied. Looked at it on several computer systems including smart phone
    Smile
    D.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12 2024, 12:57