THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+3
Sally
zand
Paul1976
7 posters

DCUK...Official...Low carb may be bad for your mental health!!!

Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

DCUK...Official...Low carb may be bad for your mental health!!! Empty DCUK...Official...Low carb may be bad for your mental health!!!

Post by Paul1976 Thu Aug 06 2015, 17:02

From the DCUK administrator today...My Bold.

"At the DUK HCP conference this year, I (Arjun) sat next to a chap who was a key contributor to the NHS guidelines for diabetes. When I relayed all of the positives of low carb and the benefit to health, his response was 'Yes, but it effects quality of life'. On asking him to elaborate, he described how, at his practice, he had a number of patients who said that trying to follow a low carb diet was making them 'not enjoy' food - and it effected their mental health. I was amazed as I had never thought about this. Whilst that is a trivial example, it just goes to show that the old adage of 'different strokes for different folks' is appropriate"

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/from-the-engine-room.81633#post-915147

So there you have it...'Apparently' Eating healthy fresh food can affect your mental health,YES! For the better though I've found and I reckon eating a high starch diet with the very likely outcome of high BG's,possible diabetic complications including CKD,blindness,heart disease,neuropathy and potential amputations ain't gonna do a lot for a person's happiness and mental health!!!
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

DCUK...Official...Low carb may be bad for your mental health!!! Empty Re: DCUK...Official...Low carb may be bad for your mental health!!!

Post by zand Thu Aug 06 2015, 17:08

I am very angry about this. Why should someone be denied the truth because others don't want to bother trying low carb? This is unfair, it's madness and yes I really am angry. Give people the tools to help themselves if they want to do so ! Arrrggggh.

banghead
    Sally
    Sally

DCUK...Official...Low carb may be bad for your mental health!!! Empty Re: DCUK...Official...Low carb may be bad for your mental health!!!

Post by Sally Thu Aug 06 2015, 17:44

The DUK Administrator said,
    "At the DUK HCP conference this year, I (Arjun) sat next to a chap who was a key contributor to the NHS guidelines for diabetes. When I relayed all of the positives of low carb and the benefit to health, his response was 'Yes, but it effects quality of life'. On asking him to elaborate, he described how, at his practice, he had a number of patients who said that trying to follow a low carb diet was making them 'not enjoy' food - and it effected their mental health. I was amazed as I had never thought about this. Whilst that is a trivial example, it just goes to show that the old adage of 'different strokes for different folks' is appropriate"

I too am in head banging mode. This reported attitude of the patients is not "different strokes for different folks". It's some folks being too stupid, too stuck in a rut, too unimaginative, too unwilling to take care of their own health. Why the f…. should everyone suffer and everyone have to listen to garbage courtesy of the NHS and certain online sources to pander to these people? Answers on a postcard.

And, no, I don't feel better for that, I'm still cross.
    Sally
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Thu Aug 06 2015, 17:48

Paul1976 wrote:From the DCUK administrator today...My Bold.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/from-the-engine-room.81633#post-915147

So there you have it...'Apparently' Eating healthy fresh food can affect your mental health,YES! For the better though I've found and I reckon eating a high starch diet with the very likely outcome of high BG's,possible diabetic complications including CKD,blindness,heart disease,neuropathy and potential amputations ain't gonna do a lot for a person's happiness and mental health!!!

Why that was mentioned is beyond me. I will tell you what effected my mental health, seeing 26 mmol on my BG meter, HbA1c 12, lipid panel off the scale etc. etc. two weeks before my Father died, riddled with serious diabetes complications. We have so many great recipes and food ideas on this forum and other places, showing fantastic food. OK if eating the junk that has played a big part for many in their membership of the betus club, is more important than limbs, kidneys and eye sight, so be it.

Now that really is mental, but hey, each to their own. All we can do is tell people there is a safe and viable and very cost effect way to control all forms of diabetes.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Aug 06 2015, 17:51

Sally wrote:The DUK Administrator said,

I too am in head banging mode.  This reported attitude of the patients is not "different strokes for different folks".  It's some folks being too stupid, too stuck in a rut, too unimaginative, too unwilling to take care of their own health.  Why the f…. should everyone suffer and everyone have to listen to garbage courtesy of the NHS and certain online sources to pander to these people?  Answers on a postcard.

And, no, I don't feel better for that, I'm still cross.
    Sally

You said it far better than me Sally.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Aug 06 2015, 19:09

I've NVER eaten such tasty and satiating food. I'm still doing it ten years later. Sometimes I weaken and try something I used to eat and it's never as good as I seem to remember it was. I bought a cheese scone still warm from the oven, slavered it in butter, and ate it a bit at a time on a prolonged walk round a nature reserve. It probably didn't affect my BG much but subsequently made me fart a lot. The recent baguette, well let's not go there again. Pub/restaurant meals when they won't let me substitute things like salad for chips can be dealt with immediately by a brisk walk immediately after eating which nails the BG but doesn't prevent the subsequent bloating. My quality of life was compromised for nearly 50 years. I'm NOT going back there again.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Thu Aug 06 2015, 19:47

chris c wrote:I've NVER eaten such tasty and satiating food. I'm still doing it ten years later. Sometimes I weaken and try something I used to eat and it's never as good as I seem to remember it was. I bought a cheese scone still warm from the oven, slavered it in butter, and ate it a bit at a time on a prolonged walk round a nature reserve. It probably didn't affect my BG much but subsequently made me fart a lot. The recent baguette, well let's not go there again. Pub/restaurant meals when they won't let me substitute things like salad for chips can be dealt with immediately by a brisk walk immediately after eating which nails the BG but doesn't prevent the subsequent bloating. My quality of life was compromised for nearly 50 years. I'm NOT going back there again.

Has any of this affected your mental health at all !
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Aug 06 2015, 20:15

I wouldn't know, I was told I have a Personality Disorder. Presumably the one where you spend your whole life pretending to have symptoms of diabetes for sympathy and are too stupid to realise it doesn't work. Of course since the symptoms were all made up how can I prove they went away?
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Thu Aug 06 2015, 22:19

Plenty of personality disorders here Chris :-)
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Thu Aug 06 2015, 23:09

mo1905 wrote:Plenty of personality disorders here Chris :-)

Graham told me you cannot be a member of this forum unless you have a personality disorder. Sounds cool to me. bom
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Aug 07 2015, 19:59

Someone suggested semi-seriously there should be a diagnosis of "personality order" which would cover the psychopaths and sociopaths who make their disorder work for them, see numerous politicians and leaders of industry
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Fri Aug 07 2015, 21:53

Eddie wrote:
    mo1905 wrote:Plenty of personality disorders here Chris :-)

Graham told me you cannot be a member of this forum unless you have a personality disorder. Sounds cool to me. bom

Last time I confide in you pal Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 06:09