THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+3
Derek
Eddie
mo1905
7 posters

Christmas ... just around the corner !!

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Christmas ... just around the corner !! - Page 3 Empty Re: Christmas ... just around the corner !!

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 01 2016, 12:01

>>> Looking back to earlier family Christmasses, it was tradition to buy the double issue Christmas Radio Times - I know some family members who do still buy it.

So for them and any other readers who may wonder about when will it be available ...

Here's your answer

"Turkey, presents... a highlighter pen and a copy of the legendary Radio Times Christmas double issue. Now that's a proper Christmas!
    And as we begin to look forward to a festive feast of television, there is only one question on the lips of TV lovers across the land – when does the bumper 2016 issue go on sale?
    The Christmas Radio Times is so big (nearly 300 pages) and so jam packed full of interviews, features and the best TV, film and radio listings for a full two-weeks that we can't print all two-million or so copies at once! So it will begin to appear on shelves from Saturday 3rd December in London and the South East and will be available nationwide by Wednesday 7th December."

I quite like this old cover from 1998 don't you !

Christmas ... just around the corner !! - Page 3 123039

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Christmas ... just around the corner !! - Page 3 Empty Re: Christmas ... just around the corner !!

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 01 2016, 12:09

chris c wrote:They can put it next to my old strimmer which lasted about as long. Stihl.

Even in these throwaway days some things are still good value and well built. Mind you when we were young everything was built to last. Ever seen a stone hot water bottle? Or things that were passed down from your grandparents?

Even diets were good value and well built in those days. I've ended up eating much like my Gran, but without all the pastry and jam. Well I'm not in the WI.

Yes ... years ago things were built to last.
    I'm sure certain electrical items such as washing machines just know when the guarantee is up and go wrong the day after Evil or Very Mad

Talking of things passed down from grandparents ( and parents) I can remember teapots and the knitted teapot hats! We had so many different coloured teapot hats, both my mum and Gran used to love knitting them ...
    Nowadays it's a tea bag in a cup for everyday use - some faithfull tea drinkers would say where is the teapot, with tea leaves and strainer?

rendeer  Hey it's the 1st December  rendeer

Christmas is only ... how many days away!

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Dec 03 2016, 20:02

Oh yes, we called them tea cosies.

Damn, this phone saga is going to run and run. The new phone (I treated myself to a Moto G4) arrived today but of course the old SIM from the steam-powered one is too big to fit. Now I have to get a new smaller SIM, but to transfer my number from the old phone and get the contents of my phone directory looks impossible since the old phone is borked.

<sigh>

Of course you know the tale of Grandpa's spade? This is my Grandpa's spade, since then it's only had three new handles and two new heads . . .
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sat Dec 03 2016, 20:42

chris c wrote:Oh yes, we called them tea cosies.

Damn, this phone saga is going to run and run. The new phone (I treated myself to a Moto G4) arrived today but of course the old SIM from the steam-powered one is too big to fit. Now I have to get a new smaller SIM, but to transfer my number from the old phone and get the contents of my phone directory looks impossible since the old phone is borked.

<sigh>

Of course you know the tale of Grandpa's spade? This is my Grandpa's spade, since then it's only  had three new handles and two new heads . . .

Just like Triggers broom.

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sat Dec 03 2016, 23:32

chris c wrote:Oh yes, we called them tea cosies.

<sigh>

Of course you know the tale of Grandpa's spade? This is my Grandpa's spade, since then it's only  had three new handles and two new heads . . .

Good choice with the Moto G4 Chris I've had mine over two years with no problems, yours will be the later model which is bigger in size and has had good reviews
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Dec 05 2016, 21:31

graham64 wrote:
    Good choice with the Moto G4 Chris I've had mine over two years with no problems, yours will be the later model which is bigger in size and has had good reviews

Good to hear! I generally go for stuff some way behind the leading edge which is where you find maximum bang for t'buck, this one seems to have a superior camera.

The saga continues, Virgin Mobile can now only be contacted by phone which is bugger all use when your phone is broken. Someone on their forum suggested I cut down the old SIM to fit the new phone which I did but the SIM appears to have been wiped clean of data, now I'm suspecting Virgin cancelled it because I wasn't using it enough. Just as Christmas is coming and I have a bunch of overdue bills to pay. There appears to be no way of changing the phone and retaining my old number without the old phone/SIM so I'm going to cut and run, sod the money it looks like they are in dire need of it to prop up their failing enterprise.

Anyway it'll stop the endless harassment from the Estate Agent I contacted years ago to get the house valued for Probate and because I was considering downsizing. Despite telling them I wasn't going to put it on the market because friends want it but are prepared to wait until I'm dead, which probably won't take long, they kept ringing me and obviously think I'm either stupid or a liar. I didn't bother to tell them I'm recommending everyone I know NOT to use them, perhaps I will now they can no longer ring me!

Virgin are also making a right balls-up of getting 4g working.

Theoretically I have a Giffgaff SIM in the post due to arrive tomorrow, on the basis small companies have to try harder and they have good coverage hereabouts.

It's going to be dead weird to have a phone that takes photos and surfs the net and connects to GPS and all sorts of other trendy modern stuff! Thanks, Santa!
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Dec 05 2016, 22:12

Have a good read of the instructions once you have your contacts in place don't forget to back them up Laughing
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Dec 07 2016, 20:56

Good luck with the new phone Chris ...

Now slight change of subject talking of Christmas and TV programmes ...
    Our freeview and channel numbers are not working the same as usual Evil or Very Mad

Think it may mean a phone call to sort things out, as the message on screen says if you are having trouble use this number!

Good job we are not avid TV watchers, we may be throwing things at the TV set LOL!

I do wish when something works well they do not fiddle and change things, but then they probably want us to up the number of channels we can get and charge us more money!
    As if they'd do a thing like that affraid

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Dec 07 2016, 21:56

graham64 wrote:Have a good read of the instructions once you have your contacts in place don't forget to back them up Laughing

Yes once I work out how to get it talking to the computer.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Dec 07 2016, 22:00

Jan1 wrote:
    Now slight change of subject talking of Christmas and TV programmes ...
    Our freeview and channel numbers are not working the same as usual Evil or Very Mad

You may just need to rescan, they faff about with the channels on a semi-regular basis.

With my (Humax) recorders I take the opportunity to do a Factory Reset after which it rescans for the channels, this usually debugs it, I think the chip has a memory leak which causes problems after it's been running for a few weeks.

BTW I remember that Radio Times cover, wasn't that back in the day when you had to buy the Radio Times for BBC and the TV Times for ITV? I gave up on them when the lifestyle sections overwhelmed the actual stuff about TV/radio programmes. Now I buy TV Choice because it's the cheapest. Christmas edition was out today.
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Thu Dec 08 2016, 15:19

Trouble is you have to remember all the programmes you record and enter them again!
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 08 2016, 20:25

Wasn't life so simple when it was just BBC and ITV ... no worries then.

Had to laugh we had an email through telling us they were adding even more channels over the Christmas Holiday Season ... I'm sure most of them repeats, but I haven't checked yet!

That Radio Times cover was from 1998 - but yes, I do remember having to have two TV guides, although thinking back, we may have just relied on my Dad's daily newspaper!

However, we always bought the Christmas Radio Times - it was tradition back then.

All the best Jan
    santa
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Dec 09 2016, 20:01

clap I'm giving myself a clap - and saying well done !  clap
    Christmas Cards all written ...
    Christmas decorations to do over the weekend  rendeer

Well that's the plan  Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Dec 09 2016, 22:48

I'm busy recording films and back-issues of Law And Order and other stuff to watch while all the regular Christmas bollocks repeats are on all channels.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Dec 11 2016, 11:35

... we haven't yet looked to see what the Christmas Delight's (or not) the TV may be providing.

I still remember the Batman and Robin 'Fools and Horses' ... now that was good viewing (and yes, may be repeated) ...

Any way two weeks to go - or so the grand-children tell me Smile

Have a great Sunday

All the best Jan
    santa
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Dec 11 2016, 21:31

Jan1 wrote:... we haven't yet looked to see what the Christmas Delight's (or not) the TV may be providing.

I still remember the Batman and Robin 'Fools and Horses' ... now that was good viewing (and yes, may be repeated) ...

Any way two weeks to go - or so the grand-children tell me Smile

Have a great Sunday

All the best Jan
    santa

Probably only Christmas Delight I'll be watching is Mrs Brown's Boys http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b086y6gl
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Dec 15 2016, 17:10

The Magic Of Christmas

Christmas ... just around the corner !! - Page 3 Kidsxmas2016

Sometimes words are not needed, when a photograph says it all ... this was taken using a mobile phone, as two of the grand-children met a special person.

Isn't it magic!

All the best Jan
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Thu Dec 15 2016, 19:54

Jan1 wrote:
    The Magic Of Christmas

Christmas ... just around the corner !! - Page 3 Kidsxmas2016

Sometimes words are not needed, when a photograph says it all ... this was taken using a mobile phone, as two of the grand-children met a special person.

Isn't it magic!

All the best Jan

You forgot to mention these fantastic kids were weaned on pureed meat, fish and vegetables, from around six months if memory serves. Just what Prof. Tim Noakes A1 rated science Prof. (the highest rating possible) recommends, and he has ended up in court, for promoting low carb healthy fat, fresh home cooked food. Only in a crazy and corrupt world.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Dec 16 2016, 19:47

You should marry them off to Michael Eades grandkids, or Jay Wortman's kids, start a low carb dynasty.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Dec 19 2016, 18:36

chris c wrote:You should marry them off to Michael Eades grandkids, or Jay Wortman's kids, start a low carb dynasty.

Goodness ...
    That's forward thinking ...

lol!

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Dec 19 2016, 18:43

We were out earlier and goodness, isn't the Christmas traffic building up already.

Cars everywhere, mothers with prams darting here there and everywhere, with parcels hanging from the pushchair handles ... and also one of the cutest little boys, out with his Dad carefully holding on to some wrapping paper that he'd picked out to wrap 'his mummy's Christmas gift' it was one of those magical moments, that at this time of year is so special ... well I think so!

All the best Jan
    santa
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Dec 19 2016, 22:06

Even the Co-Op was crowded. Well the carb park which seldom ever happens. Oh nice typo, I'll leave it in.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Dec 20 2016, 19:04

chris c wrote:Even the Co-Op was crowded. Well the carb park which seldom ever happens. Oh nice typo, I'll leave it in.

Yes ... nice typo lol!

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Dec 20 2016, 19:06

Out and about today we passed a very popular miniature train ride, complete with Santa ...
    It wasn't this image - but similar

Christmas ... just around the corner !! - Page 3 Santa_Train-_Cropped

What was so lovely was seeing a group of under five's with their parents having a simply wonderful, magical time.
    It certainly bought a smile to many faces, including mine  Smile  

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Dec 20 2016, 21:40

Ok, pheasant - CHECK!

Spare pheasant - CHECK!

Herrings - CHECK!

Smoked salmon - CHECK!

Smoked trout - CHECK!

Fresh salmon - CHECK!

Gloucester Old Spot sausages - CHECK!

Assorted cheese - CHECK!

Brussels Sprouts - CHECK!

Chestnuts - CHECK!

Red wine - CHECK!

Purple sprouting broccoli THE HORROR! they ran out

Apart from that I'm pretty much sorted.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26 2024, 15:11