THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Obesity is “Exploding” in Europe, Except in This Country !?

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Obesity is “Exploding” in Europe, Except in This Country !? Empty Obesity is “Exploding” in Europe, Except in This Country !?

Post by Jan1 Thu May 07 2015, 17:16

Andreas Eenfeldt, MD said:

"Yesterday saw some frightening headlines about obesity being about to “explode” in Europe.

BT: Europe is heading towards an unprecedented obesity explosion by 2030
    Newsweek: Europe facing growing obesity crisis: WHO

The headlines are based on a new WHO report on the spread of obesity in Europe. Sweden – my country – is among the leanest of European countries today, with 14 percent of the population classified as “obese”.  But the report predicts a major increase in obesity over the next two decades, to 26 percent.

The big problem is that the report is apparently based on the situation in 2010 (five years ago!!) for the prognosis. Perhaps this is because it’s difficult to find reliable newer statistics for all European countries.

However, something seems to have happened in Sweden in the last five years. Look at the numbers in the graph above, the blue line is from official Swedish statistics, the red line is the WHO projection from the 2010 numbers.

Something seems to have happened. As if by pure coincidence the obesity epidemic took off in Sweden by the end of the 80s, with the fear of fat. Our national low-fat labeling was adopted in 1989 and seems to mark the beginning of the obesity epidemic.

In recent years, as butter sales have broken records and LCHF has been by far the most popular weight loss method that Swedes have turned to – since then the obesity epidemic has slowed down. For the last two years the numbers are actually going down.

We can’t say anything certain about the cause of these figures. But it’s clear that WHO’s prognosis is already outdated when it comes to developments in Sweden. Something has happened in the last five years.

It will be exciting to see what the future holds. Will Sweden be the first country to reverse the obesity epidemic? If so, who will follow?"

See the graph and read this story here:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/obesity-is-exploding-in-europe-except-in-this-country

I wonder how butter sales are doing in the UK - it's always on my shopping list, as it is with other low carbers I know  Smile  

All the best Jan
    Sally
    Sally

Obesity is “Exploding” in Europe, Except in This Country !? Empty Re: Obesity is “Exploding” in Europe, Except in This Country !?

Post by Sally Thu May 07 2015, 17:35

I guess that, if I had the full statistics available and plotted my egg/butter consumption against my weight, over my adult life time, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find a correlation. As a young person/student, I used to eat a lot of eggs and baked spuds with lots of butter and cheese and I was skinny. The low-fat years were high-fat for me personally. Now, I'm back to M&S size 12 and a dozen eggs and couple of packs of butter in the fridge. Funny old world.
    Sally
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Obesity is “Exploding” in Europe, Except in This Country !? Empty Re: Obesity is “Exploding” in Europe, Except in This Country !?

Post by mo1905 Thu May 07 2015, 18:32

It would be interesting to know what diabetic dietary advice, or dietary advice in general was in Sweden. do they promote the garbage that we do or are the Gov't/docs there encouraging LCHF ?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 22:58