THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+4
Andy12345
mo1905
Paul1976
Dillinger
8 posters

How to make an argument for test strips with your HCP

Dillinger
    Dillinger

Male Posts : 209

How to make an argument for test strips with your HCP Empty How to make an argument for test strips with your HCP

Post by Dillinger Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:13

Hello,

I've no idea whether this will actually work, but if you are not being prescribed test strips and you want to try and persuade your HCP that you should have them I came up with these initial statements; if they answer yes to all of them how can they justifiably say 'no' to your request?

I'm aware that this is contrary to general NHS policy but it's patently wrong that people who want to actively manage their diabetes are not given the tools to do so.

This may look like a very similar list to one posted by someone called 'Dillinger' on another forum but that is pure coincidence.

Ok, so the idea is; can a HCP (without applying AMBrennan level pedantry) answer 'no' to any of these?

The HCP challenge - do you agree or disagree with these statements:

1. The HbA1c test shows what our blood sugars are like on average.

2. The lower our HbA1c levels are the lower our risk from complications are.

3. In order to lower our HbA1c levels we need to reduce our blood sugars.

4. Food is the major contributing factor to raised blood sugar levels.

5. Some foods have different effects on our blood sugar levels than others.

6. We cannot accurately tell what our blood sugar levels are at any given time.

7. In order to monitor the effects of different foods on our blood sugars we need to test our blood sugars.

Therefore we need test strips to test before and after meals at least until we get a working knowledge of what we 'can' and 'can't' eat.

Best

Dillinger

Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

How to make an argument for test strips with your HCP Empty Re: How to make an argument for test strips with your HCP

Post by Paul1976 Tue Aug 26 2014, 14:32

Great post Dillinger! (as always)

Not many HCP's are used to diabetic patients attending their appointments armed with ammo like that!
    I can envisage a few awkward silences,a few red faces and much throat clearing on the HCP's part!

Best regards

Paul
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

How to make an argument for test strips with your HCP Empty Re: How to make an argument for test strips with your HCP

Post by mo1905 Tue Aug 26 2014, 16:20

And so much cheaper than a gastric band !
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Tue Aug 26 2014, 16:21

Or 3 gastric bands lol ! I hate looking at the forum on my phone !
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Tue Aug 26 2014, 16:26

lol...No worries mate-I've got rid of the duplicates for you Mo! Smile
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Tue Aug 26 2014, 16:52

Thanks Paul !
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Tue Aug 26 2014, 16:59

mo1905 wrote:And so much cheaper than a gastric band !

+1000! and a heck of a lot safer too I reckon! Those ops are no walk in the park and can cause more problems long term than they do good for some folks who have had one fitted.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Tue Aug 26 2014, 17:00

Dillinger wrote:Hello,

I've no idea whether this will actually work, but if you are not being prescribed test strips and you want to try and persuade your HCP that you should have them I came up with these initial statements; if they answer yes to all of them how can they justifiably say 'no' to your request?

I'm aware that this is contrary to general NHS policy but it's patently wrong that people who want to actively manage their diabetes are not given the tools to do so.

This may look like a very similar list to one posted by someone called 'Dillinger' on another forum but that is pure coincidence.

Ok, so the idea is; can a HCP (without applying AMBrennan level pedantry) answer 'no' to any of these?

7. In order to monitor the effects of different foods on our blood sugars we need to test our blood sugars.

Therefore we need test strips to test before and after meals at least until we get a working knowledge of what we 'can' and 'can't' eat.

Best

Dillinger

awesome Smile its really quite hard to see how they can deny them huh

your much better looking than that other dude that stole your name btw
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Post by Dillinger Tue Aug 26 2014, 18:29

Andy12345 wrote:

Thank you!

These imposters get everywhere!
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Tue Aug 26 2014, 19:32

Andy12345 wrote:
    Dillinger wrote:Hello,

Best

Dillinger

Mr Strummer does look rather 'Dapper' doesn't he? Smile

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Tue Aug 26 2014, 22:05

I can count myself lucky I'm still getting strips, the only time my DSN mentioned withdrawing them I just said if that's the case I'll fund my own, to my surprise she said no we can't have you paying for them and agreed to reinstate them on my script8)

Then I let her out of the headlock Twisted Evil
    Indy51
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 Wed Aug 27 2014, 02:52

I'm so glad we have a different system in Australia - and keeping my fingers crossed it never turns up on a Government hit list.
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Post by Dillinger Wed Aug 27 2014, 09:33

paul1976 wrote:

Mr Strummer does look rather 'Dapper' doesn't he? Smile

Oi Paul, that may well be Joe Strummer but I happen to look exactly like that (in my mind). There was a brief moment in my youth when at a certain angle and in a certain light I looked almost like Paul Simonon (if you squinted), those days are long gone however...

I once was in a bar 2 feet from Strummer and didn't have the guts to go and say hello which I will regret to my dying day, so now if I ever see anyone I remotely admire I charge up to them and grasp their hands whilst eulogizing madly.

Best

Dillinger
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Wed Aug 27 2014, 10:17

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but I believe we'll all end up losing free prescriptions soon, well, for those that currently get them free anyway. I also think it's a bit odd that because I have diabetes, I get any medication not linked to diabetes free too. OK, maybe I shouldn't mention that but it's just always struck me as odd that asthma sufferers for instance still have to pay. Odd system.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Wed Aug 27 2014, 10:20

Dillinger wrote:
    Andy12345 wrote:

Thank you!

These imposters get everywhere!

I thought it was Gripper from Grange Hill :-)
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Wed Aug 27 2014, 11:32

Closest I ever got to Joe Strummer was this

How to make an argument for test strips with your HCP 4082660739_faaf3f299e_z

I stood at a urinal in Gatwick Airport next to that George Best once ...

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Wed Aug 27 2014, 11:41

This thread is going off topic, and against FORUM RULES !!! The next poster who goes off topic will be flogged within an inch of their lives and banned lol!
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Wed Aug 27 2014, 11:43

eddie1 wrote:This thread is going off topic, and against FORUM RULES !!! The next poster who goes off topic will be flogged within an inch of their lives and banned lol!

Yep! Where's a good thread chopper when you need one eh?!!! affraid
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Wed Aug 27 2014, 12:02

Ah, that takes me back to the days when men were men and forum members nervous. I often wonder what happened to 'Chopper' Anyway back on topic. My Doctor tried to stop my test strips at my second HbA1c  5.4 and the letter stated "you are well under the NICE guidelines for HbA1c etc etc.

I explained to my diabetes nurse, my rigorous and strict regime was the reason for my good control, not the two metformin pills, and said it would be a great pity I would not be able to continue my regime without testing, and should my health suffer.............she got the message.

I have paid into the NHS for fifty years, I reckon I am worth a few test strips. as are all diabetics. The penny wise pound foolish lunacy will cost far more in the long run. Trouble is most politicos and quango merchants don't look more than five years ahead.

Regards Eddie
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Wed Aug 27 2014, 13:37

I wonder what percentage of T2s do get them on prescription, even initially? I never asked because I never had a dialogue with the GP at the time of diagnosis and by the time I saw a DN (three weeks later) I had already bought one. I suppose it costs me about £15/month in strips, the equivalent of a few loaves and a couple of packets of cereal, but the point about saving the NHS money in the longer term is well made of course.
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Post by Dillinger Wed Aug 27 2014, 13:59

sanguine wrote:Closest I ever got to Joe Strummer was this

That train needs a quiff!

Back on topic before Eddie wields the Ban Hammer; I think as things stand we know we are getting the wrong advice (across the spectrum of diabetes). This may be changing, but I wouldn't be prepared to sit and take the bad advice or let my children or loved ones do that either.

So, the question then becomes how do we get passed that bad advice? In this case the 'you don't need to test' advice. Ideally, a discussion and a prescription would follow, but we all know how often ideal outcomes occur, so if that fails then I think the code free strips on e-bay/Amazon sound worthwhile. Though it's well worth trying to get strips because as many people have said even though the general policy is against this there are still HCPs out there who will give strips and see sense.

Best

Dillinger
    mo1905
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 Wed Aug 27 2014, 15:17

I think it's well worth asking too. A good argument is education, letting the doc/DSN know exactly why you want the strips and how this will improve your condition is often a valid argument that occasionally pays off.

Last edited by mo1905 on Wed Aug 27 2014, 15:27; edited 1 time in total
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Wed Aug 27 2014, 15:25

In my case I'd have never got my 2nd HbA1c test 3 months after diagnosis without being able to test as when I was initially diagnosed as a type 2-I was told a once yearly HbA1c test was sufficient! It was being enough fortunate to have access to some strips and the meter that alerted me and subsequently my GP that things were going badly wrong with my control and I needed referring to an Endocrinologist who ordered the tests which showed I had type 1.5 diabetes(LADA) instead-IfI had relied solely on an annual HbA1c test I could have got very sick indeed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 11:29