THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Repeated Antibiotic Use Linked To Diabetes ?

mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Repeated Antibiotic Use Linked To Diabetes ? Empty Repeated Antibiotic Use Linked To Diabetes ?

Post by mo1905 Wed Mar 25 2015, 10:03

To be honest, it's difficult to find something nowadays that ISN'T linked to diabetes but I think some members have mentioned this before and it's in the BBC News today. Link here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32034195
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Repeated Antibiotic Use Linked To Diabetes ? Empty Re: Repeated Antibiotic Use Linked To Diabetes ?

Post by zand Wed Mar 25 2015, 10:11

Speaking as someone who has suffered very many throat and chest infections, but rarely been given antibiotics, I reckon it's just as likely to be the weak immune system and recurrent infections that cause the damage and link to diabetes.
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Repeated Antibiotic Use Linked To Diabetes ? Empty Re: Repeated Antibiotic Use Linked To Diabetes ?

Post by mo1905 Wed Mar 25 2015, 10:13

zand wrote:Speaking as someone who has suffered very many throat and chest infections, but rarely been given antibiotics, I reckon it's just as likely to be the weak immune system and recurrent infections that cause the damage and link to diabetes.  

Yes, I guess the 2 are linked. A weak immune system and antibiotic requirement.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Wed Mar 25 2015, 10:24

I really don't know TBH,A bit of a 'Chicken and egg' situation...Before I was diagnosed I was riddled with infections due to undiagnosed high BG levels and went on several courses of antibiotics,also due to thrush I was almost buying shares in canestan cream and I suppose someone out there may see a link between my high use of canestan products prior to diagnosis and believe that it contributed to developing DM but of course that wasn't the case and it was more me trying repeatedly to shut the stable door after the horse had already run.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Wed Mar 25 2015, 14:23

"People who need treating with repeated courses of antibiotics may be at increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes, researchers have found.
    The European Journal of Endocrinology study traced antibiotic prescriptions given out to a million UK patients.
    The authors say the findings do not necessarily mean that the drugs trigger diabetes - instead, infections may be a warning sign that diabetes is imminent.
    They say more work is now needed to understand the link."

As Mo said in his earlier post " To be honest, it's difficult to find something nowadays that ISN'T linked to diabetes".

Diabetes affects blood sugars ..... infections affect blood and blood sugar numbers, yes, perhaps more so if you are diabetic - but I'm sure everyone's blood sugar is not so stable as the body fights infection.

Antibiotics are needed ......

As the article states more research is needed to better understand the link between repeated use of antibiotics to a possible link with diabetes.

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 01:49