THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+16
Eddie
zand
Pasha
spittinchips
Dillinger
clearviews
sanguine
Denise
Scandichic
Avocado Sevenfold
Xyz
cold ethyl
mo1905
Andy12345
Paul1976
Jan1
20 posters

What is your Favourite Cheese ?

chris c
    chris c

What is your Favourite Cheese ? - Page 5 Empty Re: What is your Favourite Cheese ?

Post by chris c Fri Feb 12 2016, 19:13

I'm getting a bit cheesed off with the Co-Op (pun intended). They've not only dropped the Irish cheddar but also the Cornish Clotted Cream, presumably to make space on the shelves for all the LOW FAT!!! varieties
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

What is your Favourite Cheese ? - Page 5 Empty Re: What is your Favourite Cheese ?

Post by Jan1 Sat Feb 13 2016, 11:57

chris c wrote:I'm getting a bit cheesed off with the Co-Op (pun intended). They've not only dropped the Irish cheddar but also the Cornish Clotted Cream, presumably to make space on the shelves for all the LOW FAT!!! varieties

I did like your pun!

Yes the supermarkets do change things around, somewhat annoyingly ...

You can't beat a nice dollop of Cornish Clotted Cream on some fresh fruit ...

But as this is a cheese thread, better get back on topic Razz

Perhaps they will have another great Cheddar soon on their shelves - hope so.
    I always stay away from the less fat variety. I need whole fat full milk and whole fat cheese - just tastes great, well I think so.

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Feb 13 2016, 18:16

The Co-Op rejigged the whole store a while back. I was amused and not a little pleased when one of their own staff could no longer find where they'd moved something to!

I checked again this week, strangely not only NO butter at all on special offer but no margarines either. Some of the cheese was on special offer if you bought two though.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Apr 20 2016, 11:54

Do you like goats cheese?
    If you do you may just want to include it with this recipe idea...

What is your Favourite Cheese ? - Page 5 Bakedfigsgoatscheeseradicchio

Baked figs and goat's cheese with radicchio

It's a fresh, seasonal starter that’s simple to make and looks pretty on the plate. However, you may also wish to enjoy it as a light snack ...

Ingredients:
    Serves Six
    7g carb per serving

oil, for brushing
    6 figs
    200g soft goat's cheese
    1 head radicchio
    85g walnut pieces

For the dressing
    6 tbsp olive oil
    3 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Method:
    1. Preheat the oven to fan 160C/conventional 180C/gas 4. Unless the baking sheet is non stick, line it with foil, then brush the foil lightly with oil.
    2. Cut the figs into quarters, from the top almost to the base, and arrange on the foil. Slice the goat’s cheese and arrange in the centre of the figs. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and tinged brown.
    3. Meanwhile, whisk the dressing ingredients with some seasoning. Put a couple of good radicchio leaves on each serving plate. Remove the figs from the oven and place on the radicchio leaves. Scatter the walnuts on top. Drizzle with the dressing and serve warm or at room temperature.

Recipe idea and further links also here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/baked-figs-and-goats-cheese-with.html

All the best Jan
    flower
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon May 02 2016, 18:31

What is your Favourite Cheese ? - Page 5 3341502000110_L

If you like this cheese (and we do) it's on special offer at Sainsbury's at the moment
    £1-50 instead of £2-25.

Why not buy two packs Exclamation

All the best Jan
    flower
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat May 07 2016, 22:37

I just made the mistake of buying some Edam. Tasteless plastic crap with too much salt. Was it always this bad? Fortunately I also bought some Jarlsberg, much better flavour and texture.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon May 30 2016, 21:00

Well I love cheese ... but would I take part in this?
    I think not ...

What is your Favourite Cheese ? - Page 5 _89834401_hi033214435

Cheese-rolling spectators gather for Cooper's Hill tradition

Thousands of people lined a steep hill in Gloucestershire to watch crowds of thrill-seekers fling themselves down in pursuit of a wheel of cheese.
    The 8lb (3.6kg) Double Gloucester is chased 200 yards down the 1:2 gradient Cooper's Hill at Brockworth every year.
    Chris Anderson, 28, won the first two downhill races - his 16th and 17th Cheese Rolling victories in total.
    "It's brilliant, I'm really happy," said the soldier from Brockworth who serves with 1 Rifles.

"My friend Izzy John sadly passed away recently so this is for him and his family. He won it multiple times," he said.
    "Cheese rolling is really important to Brockworth. It got cancelled in 2009 and the organisers this year have done a brilliant job and I'm really happy to win it for the community."

Read more and see more images here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-36412881
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Jun 05 2016, 22:03

Probably safer than taking most diabetes drugs . . .

. . .meanwhile I tried some Baron Bigod which comes from a farm just up the road. Not as impressed as I'd hoped, it tastes a bit like Brie that has been kept in an athlete's sock for a while. YMMV
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Jun 06 2016, 19:40

Baron Bigod ... I had to look it up, and it does look and sound very tasty!

"A creamy, white bloomy-rind cheese handmade on the farm by Jonny and the team, from our own raw Montbeliarde cows milk. It has a smooth silky texture and a golden curd, with long lasting warm earth, farmyard and mushroom flavours.

We’re rather excited about this cheese. It is the only traditional raw milk Brie-de-Meaux style cheese produced in the UK. In fact, even the French would be jealous, as our cheese is one of only a handful of its type in the world to be made by the farmer on the farm and can genuinely be called a true farmhouse Brie. Using a traditional recipe passed on to us by a French cheese maker, we have set about making what we believe to be something very special.

Our cheese is made by hand in small batches, very early in the morning so that we can use the raw milk still warm, straight from the cow at the perfect temperature for cheesemaking. The mould cultures are added to the warm morning’s milk and it is gently gravity fed into small vats just a few metres from the milking parlour, where the rennet is added. The curds are carefully hand-ladled into large moulds, using traditional pelle-a-brie ladles and the young cheeses are hand salted and then aged for up to 8 weeks in a cave-like environment.

Milk is a very fragile substance and can easily be damaged by splashing, pumping and haulage. Damaged milk makes poor quality cheese, which is why we treat our milk with the utmost care and respect, keeping its delicate cells and fat molecules intact. This is what gives our cheese its smooth, delicate and silky texture and complex, long lasting flavours that bounce around the mouth.

Baron Bigod is truly unique to our farm. Its flavours, aromas and characteristics are influenced by our own cows milk and the rich variety of grasses and herbs that grow on the grazing land of Stow Fen, an unusual wildlife-rich Basin marsh which is completely unique to the Waveney Valley"
    There is more to read and a video too!

http://fenfarmdairy.co.uk/cheese/

Well I thought definitely Yum!
    But as you've tried it, now I'm not sure ... Question
    If ever I'm down that will I will get some and see for myself

All the best Jan
    flower
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jun 08 2016, 18:33

IMO it sounds a lot better than it tastes - but that's just me. I've had Suffolk Brie and Cornish Brie but prefer the Somerset version even over some of the French ones.

Jarlsberg again this week.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Jun 09 2016, 17:45

Yes, Somerset Brie is often in my shopping basket ...

I've not tried Jarlsberg - must give it a try soon:
    http://www.cheese.com/jarlsberg/

On my shopping list today was good old English Cheddar Smile
    We never tire of it ...

All the best Jan
    flower
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Jun 11 2016, 17:37

I'm just about to grate some cheddar over my bolognese-type sauce and bake it while boiling some broccoli.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Jun 13 2016, 11:15

I've always liked this mix ... sliced Mozzarella and tomatoes ... a lovely summers lunch

What is your Favourite Cheese ? - Page 5 Mozzarella

Here is a wonderful simple recipe taken from Delia Smith’s Summer Collection.

Ingredients:
    1 lb (450 g) tomatoes
    4 oz (110 g) Mozzarella sliced
    About 24 fresh basil leaves ( dried basil could be used)
    2 Tablespoons extra virgin (Italian) olive oil
    Salt and freshly milled black pepper

Method:
    Put the tomatoes in a bowl and pour boiling water over them. Leave them for 1 minute, then drain and slip the skins off using a cloth to protect your hands if necessary.
    Then slice the tomatoes thinly. All you do now is arrange the slices of mozzarella and tomato in layers, either in rows or concentric circles, on a serving dish.
    Scatter the whole basil leaves over them, then, just before serving, sprinkle with plenty of salt and freshly milled black pepper and drizzle the oil all over.

More details about Mozzarella here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/featured-food-of-day-mozzarella-cheese.html

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Jul 29 2016, 10:51

DID YOU KNOW !

Britain now produces more varieties of cheese than France.

"A record 5,000 cheeses were entered into this year’s International Cheese Awards, now in its 119th year. The show takes place today at Nantwich Town Centre in Cheshire, England.

This year, over half of the cheeses entered into the competition were from Britain, now the leading global cheese producer, ahead of France.

Over 750 different cheeses are produced in Britain today, from classic cheddars to more “unusual modern varieties.” There are about 400 different varieties of cheese produced in France.

A range of producers are represented annually, from small artisan manufacturers, to huge dairies and supermarkets. In 2015, a British cheesemaker was crowned the winner; a crumbly cheese made by Greenfields, a small, traditional manufacturer in Lancashire."

Story, with additional links, from here
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/britain-now-produces-350-more-125029266.html

Cheese is always in our fridge  Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Jul 30 2016, 21:29

Good news! However it makes it ever harder to make my mind up in the cheese shop.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Mon Feb 20 2017, 13:54

What is your Favourite Cheese ? - Page 5 Brie-400x267

Oven-Baked Brie Cheese

Ingredients
    Serves Four

8¾ oz. Brie cheese or Camembert cheese
    2 oz. pecan nuts or walnuts
    1 garlic clove
    1 tablespoon fresh rosemary or fresh thyme or fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    salt and pepper

See more here
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/oven-baked-brie-cheese

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Mon Feb 20 2017, 22:48

Cathedral City seriously strong mature cheddar......'nuff said :-)
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Tue Feb 21 2017, 04:19

Hehe you used to like mild cheddar Mo, must be an age thing
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Feb 21 2017, 04:21

I've not got that good a memory, I looked back at the start of the thread to see if I'd already said cheddar, was gonna say I'm not stalking Mo, but a look out of his window could make me a liar
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Feb 21 2017, 04:27

This year I chose the cheese board on the plane, had several cheeses I liked and a couple I didn't, some grapes and port, never tried port before but I'd already had a glass of champagne so I thought what the hell, they went really well together, I know I'm sposed to be tea total but the tickets were bloody fortune so I figured alcohol would let me forget how much a minute we were spending hehe
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:11

Jeez Andy (4.21am) you get up about an hour after I go to bed. If I send you our address could you bring us up tea and toast before you go to work, low carb LivLife bread of course. mrgreen
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:23

Best time of the day run
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:25

Andy12345 wrote:Best time of the day run

Yeah, to be getting in from a night out. rofl
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:30

I've been up nights for so long, I reckon I'd feel like I was missing out on life, it's very peaceful and I can watch whatever I like on the telly Twisted Evil I just don't seem to need as much sleep as everyone else
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:32

Andy12345 wrote:I've been up nights for so long, I reckon I'd feel like I was missing out on life, it's very peaceful and I can watch whatever I like on the telly Twisted Evil I just don't seem to need as much sleep as everyone else

Graham told me you was born in Transylvania and sleep in a coffin, but you know the kind of bullshit you read on forums.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 00:33