THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+16
Eddie
zand
Pasha
spittinchips
Dillinger
clearviews
sanguine
Denise
Scandichic
Avocado Sevenfold
Xyz
cold ethyl
mo1905
Andy12345
Paul1976
Jan1
20 posters

What is your Favourite Cheese ?

Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

What is your Favourite Cheese ? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is your Favourite Cheese ?

Post by Paul1976 Fri Aug 22 2014, 14:39

clearviews wrote:So hard to choose one but a good blue vein or stilton or brie...  Just done a Soft Cheese making course and I love it!  My fav so far is my feta and I am going to make a Persian Feta next.  
    It is all in the way you cut the curds!  
    Just put 5 Camembert into the fridge from my 'cheese room', my laundry.
    Next year I am going to do the Advanced Cheese Making which includes the blue cheeses.  
    The cheese is what is holding me back from being a true Paleo!!!!

Yum! I love a good Camenbert-either as it comes or baked in the oven,makes a really good fondue for dipping some crunchy veg in! Smile

What is your Favourite Cheese ? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is your Favourite Cheese ?

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22 2014, 15:51

Cheese , now I restrict my cheese but a nice cheddar, Brie , Stilton ....

A cheese making course is very impressive .... sunny 
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 03 2014, 22:02

clearviews wrote:So hard to choose one but a good blue vein or stilton or brie...  Just done a Soft Cheese making course and I love it!  My fav so far is my feta and I am going to make a Persian Feta next.  
    It is all in the way you cut the curds!  
    Just put 5 Camembert into the fridge from my 'cheese room', my laundry.
    Next year I am going to do the Advanced Cheese Making which includes the blue cheeses.  
    The cheese is what is holding me back from being a true Paleo!!!!

Must be good to do a cheese making course, and I'm sure your Feta was great tasting. Hope the advanced one next year goes well. Has anyone else done a cheese making course ?

Talking of cheeses one of the authors I'm reading, Elizabeth Gill, states that her favourite comfort food is "Smelly cheese like Stinking Bishop". I've not tried it myself .....is it that smelly, have you tried it ?

At the moment we have a lovely tasting cheddar and a nice smooth blue cheese - must get more soon  flower

All the best Jan
    Dillinger
    Dillinger

Male Posts : 209

Post by Dillinger Thu Sep 04 2014, 08:50

Mature Ghouda - it's beautiful, like a slightly waxier, harder Parmesan.

Not for day to day use but great thinly sliced.

Dillinger

Last edited by Dillinger on Thu Sep 04 2014, 15:47; edited 1 time in total
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Thu Sep 04 2014, 14:23

Dillinger wrote:Mature Ghouda - it's beautiful, like a slightly waxier, harder Parmassan.

Not for day to day use but great thinly sliced.

Dillinger

Good stuff! Great sliced on top of a homemade burger too-I prefer it to Edam.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Sep 28 2014, 19:21

Bought some lovely cheeses yesterday. A mature cheddar, a very nice creamy blue, which tastes great with a few olives, a mild brie and for a change some Double Gloucester.

I'm not too keen on some of the cheeses you can buy with added fruit such as cranberries. I'm sure the nearer we get to Christmas we'll have an even wider choice to choose from.

All the best Jan
    cold ethyl

Post by cold ethyl Sun Sep 28 2014, 20:03

I like one called Black Bomber. A creamy but very mature cheddar I think it is in Black wax. It tastes like a cross between cheddar and a creamy lancashire to me and is lovely with celery and a few pickled onions.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Sun Sep 28 2014, 20:10

I tried a Rum 'n' Raisin Wensleydale about 2 years ago as a sample at the deli counter in 2013 and it should have tasted disgusting but it was really good TBH.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Oct 15 2014, 21:45

Bought some nice Danish Blue Cheese today.

150g cost £1-00 - perhaps I should have bought two packs?

All the best Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Wed Oct 15 2014, 22:13

Jan1 wrote:Bought some nice Danish Blue Cheese today.

All the best Jan

I just bought 2 tubs of castello Danish Blue for a quid each from tesco's today. Smile Did you get yours from there too? Smile Me and my boy love it! Smile

Cheers

Paul
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Oct 15 2014, 22:27

Paul wrote:

All the best Jan

I just bought 2 tubs of castello Danish Blue for a quid each from tesco's today. Smile Did you get yours from there too? Smile Me and my boy love it! Smile

Cheers

Paul

Got mine from Asda Castello Danish Blue ....I wonder if the other supermarkets are doing it at this price too?

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Oct 21 2014, 19:05

Jan1 wrote:
    Paul wrote:

All the best Jan

Cheers

Paul

Got mine from Asda Castello Danish Blue ....I wonder if the other supermarkets are doing it at this price too?

All the best Jan

Bought the Castello last week and finally got around to opening it tonight SUPERB ...had forgotten how tasty it is.

Have you tried it yet - if you answer no I can certainly recommend it.

All the best Jan
    spittinchips
    spittinchips

Male Posts : 4

Post by spittinchips Wed Oct 22 2014, 04:16

Also a fan of Castello Blue - so good it converted my wife from a "blue cheese smells like old socks", to someone who eats more of it than i do.

It costs, on average, around $7-8 AUD per 150g in Australia, which works out at roughly 3-4.5 pounds, I think. Not cheap, but worth it.

Harder to find here is their white with peppercorn cheese - also very nice.

I believe some good cheese is made in Tasmania. King Island cheese is pretty good. I s'pose the cows must be pretty happy if they're wandering around on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere.

Cheers.

Last edited by spittinchips on Wed Oct 22 2014, 04:17; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Nov 06 2014, 19:28

Castello Blue is good

BUT

Eddie did the shopping today affraid and bought some Roquefort .....delicious or what? Smile

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Dec 05 2014, 16:13

Guys and Gals .....have just bought a lovely cheese which we hadn't tried before. sunny

It is Coeur de Lion 'Le Pie d'Angloys' ....full flavoured and creamy with a hint of honey ! First created by Cistercian Monks in the 14th Century and now in 2014 it taste's G R E A T

If you haven't tried it I thoroughly recommend it.

All the best Jan

PS Paul - it may go well with that Port you were talking about earlier?
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Fri Dec 05 2014, 16:41

Jan1 wrote:Guys and Gals .....have just bought a lovely cheese which we hadn't tried before. sunny

It is Coeur de Lion 'Le Pie d'Angloys' ....full flavoured and creamy with a hint of honey ! First created by Cistercian Monks in the 14th Century and now in 2014 it taste's G R E A T

If you haven't tried it I thoroughly recommend it.

All the best Jan

PS Paul - it may go well with that Port you were talking about earlier?

Sounds good to me! Smile A bit like a creamy version of Wensleydale perhaps? I've not seen Coeur de Lion 'Le Pie d'Angloys' before (Or I just haven't looked hard enough! lol) Where did you buy it from Jan as I'm currently buying my christmas cheeses at the moment (Use by dates allowing but the Brie,long clawson stilton,cheshire,wensleydale and vintage red leicester I've got so far have dates around the new year mark so happy days! Smile )
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Dec 05 2014, 17:21

@Paul
    Bought it from Sainsbury's 200g for £2-20, it comes in a round card type container. Our use by date is 29-12-14 but it is so great tasting .....I'm just going to have to buy some more.  Very Happy  

This is how it's described !

"Pié d’Angloys is a sinfully rich and creamy cow’s milk cheese, similar to camembert. One of France’s favourite's, it originates from the legendary Burgundy region of eastern France, which is well-known for its fine foods and wines. Supple and soft, the combination of its melt-in-the-mouth texture with its rich, full flavour creates an unforgettable experience.

Made from cow’s milk, it has an edible ivory rind and a pale-coloured centre, that is soft and spreadable, with a slightly salty bouquet. As the cheese ages, the rind is washed with wine, and cheese ripens from the outside inward.

Pié d'Angloys is definitely the ideal choice for the cheeseboard. It can also be enjoyed simply with crusty French bread to transform a lunch or a quick snack into a treat. Suitable for everyday cooking, this cheese enhances the flavour of pastas, salads and rich sauces. Enjoy it with a glass of white Sancerre, Chardonnay or a rich Burgundy or Pinot Noir. "

I absolutely agree with the description 'it is sinfully rich and creamy"

As a low carber I'd give the crusty bread a miss and serve with some olives ....plus a glass of rich burgundy or how about that Port you referred to in another thread?

What a great way to start the weekend - well it is Friday after all sunny

Jan

flower
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Dec 24 2014, 18:48

Happy Christmas Eve rendeer

Well I would have shared my delicious cheese with you BUT my dish is empty lol!  

Courtesy of a Waitrose shop we have enjoyed some delicious 'Berthaut's Epoisses'

It is "Gloriously sticky, pungent with an abundantly fruity tang. Made in the small village of Epoisses in Burgundy. The rind of this cheese is washed over and over again in Marc de Bourgogne. The cheese has a much milder, but still with an extraordinary complex flavour that it's pungent aroma suggests. Strength 6. Ingredients Epoisses cheese (milk), brandy "  

Just delicious and a lovely way to start a Christmas Eve Evening.

Good wishes to all - I'm sure you have bought special Christmas Cheeses?

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Jan 15 2015, 10:08

Sometimes you just can't beat a nice Cheddar Cheese ....... if you happen to live near a Lidl they have mature cheddar 'Lake District Cheese' on offer at the moment £1-99 for 350g (should I have put this in spotted a bargain? oh well never mind)

All the best Jan
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Thu Feb 12 2015, 17:46

My new favourite cheese is Manchego. A hard cheese from Spanish sheep. Sound delicious doesn't it? The Tesco version is rennet-free and veggie, so I have been using it like you would Parmesan.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 Thu Feb 12 2015, 18:00

My favourite 2 right now are Cheshire and Cypriot Halloumi-I just love that fried (The Halloumi that is) Very Happy
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Feb 12 2015, 19:23

Avocado Sevenfold wrote:My new favourite cheese is Manchego.  A hard cheese from Spanish sheep.  Sound delicious doesn't it? The Tesco version is rennet-free and veggie, so I have been using it like you would Parmesan.

Manchego cheese ...... is that sometimes included with the olive and cheese packs you can get from supermarkets, or am I getting mixed up with a similar sounding cheese?

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Thu Feb 12 2015, 19:25

Paul wrote:My favourite 2 right now are Cheshire and Cypriot Halloumi-I just love that fried (The Halloumi that is) Very Happy

Yes I like Cheshire - have not tried Cypriot Halloumi ...... must get more adventurous  Smile

All the best Jan
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Thu Feb 12 2015, 23:59

My 2 favourite cheeses right now are mild cheddar and medium cheddar. If adventurous, I will add either yellow or brown pickle :-)
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Feb 13 2015, 22:01

mo1905 wrote:My 2 favourite cheeses right now are mild cheddar and medium cheddar. If adventurous, I will add either yellow or brown pickle :-)

Think Tesco's have medium cheddar 200g priced at £1-50 .....

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 12:11