THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Butter - Memories and have you got a favourite?

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Butter - Memories and have you got a favourite? Empty Butter - Memories and have you got a favourite?

Post by Jan1 Mon Sep 15 2014, 19:55

Butter ......my earliest memories of butter go back to early childhood. We always ate butter, and it was kept in our walk in larder in the butter dish, which from memory was a brown coloured oval shaped dish with a lid. For special family occasions the butter would be put into the 'posh glass dish' and enjoyed with home made scones or similar.

Visiting family and friends it was always butter. Of course as most of us know this changed and butter lost out to those spreadable margarine type spreads which most of us thought were healthy and so much easier to spread than real butter.

We know differently now and butter is back BIG TIME, which is good. When out in the supermarkets we have quite a good choice, .......we can pick and choose.

My favourite is Kerrygold Irish Butter. The taste and colour to me is perfect perhaps it's something in the grass ?

I read this article by Darina Allen .....she wrote "I'm very fortunate to live in a country renowned for its wonderful butter. In Ireland we grow grass like nowhere else in the world, because our climate is ideal for it – all that lovely soft rain. The Cork Butter Market, which opened in the 1770s and continued to trade for 150 years, was the biggest in the world and exported Irish butter as far as the Caribbean. The butter was packed in hardwood casks called firkins and brought by horsedrawn cart from Kerry and West Cork which are still known today as butter roads."

Friends who live in New Zealand say their butter tastes great because their cows are also grass fed.

As with everything all good things tend to be priced higher, but there are cheaper alternatives.

Have you a favourite butter .....did your family use it .......have you ever made your own. ?

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Butter - Memories and have you got a favourite? Empty Re: Butter - Memories and have you got a favourite?

Post by zand Mon Sep 15 2014, 20:40

Yum! Bread toasted on an open fire then spreading it with butter which quickly melted. So much better than toast from a toaster! Happy days!

I grew up on a farm. My mother never made butter after I was born, so I don't know much about this but I remember there was an old butter churner in one of the sheds and my mum told me she used to make butter during the war and for a while afterwards.

You've got me all nostalgic now Jan Smile
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Butter - Memories and have you got a favourite? Empty Re: Butter - Memories and have you got a favourite?

Post by graham64 Mon Sep 15 2014, 22:01

I can remember many moons ago going to the local shop for my mum, there was no pre-packed butter it was in a big slab and weighed out for you.

I mainly use Kerrygold now:)
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Mon Sep 15 2014, 22:09

Mine has to be getting to eat and enjoy real butter at my nan's house on crumpets toasted over her real fire as in the 80's when I grew up my parents bought into the low fat is best mantra and I was subjected to axle grease such a St Ivel 'Gold' spread and 'Flora'! YUK!!!

Kerrygold for the win and £1.40 a block on offer at Tesco's at the moment! Worth going in there if only to stock up on that! Smile
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Mon Sep 15 2014, 22:12

Looks like I'm the odd one out then. We have Kerrygold sometimes but normally it's Anchor butter.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Sep 15 2014, 22:14

£1-40 for Kerrygold is a good price thanks for the info Paul.

Memories or nostalgia, I too can remember toasted crumpets by the fire and the butter tasted so good Smile

For a long time it was Anchor butter that was the best seller I think ?

All the best Jan
    cold ethyl

Post by cold ethyl Mon Sep 15 2014, 23:39

To be fair, all cows are grass fed as silage is just preserved grass. As an ex British dairy farmer, I don't buy anything but British butter as our lot need all the support they can get- only junior and Mr E use it though regularly as I never liked taste much even as a kid. Only time I did like it was on a baked soud and I'd have to win the carb lottery to have one these days :-(

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 15:40