The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

What is your Favourite Cheese ?

Andy12345

Male Posts : 1637

Re: What is your Favourite Cheese ?

Post by Andy12345 on Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:36

The kids (and therefore me). Are currently addicted to a vampire box set thingy on Netflix, I quite fancy being a vampire lol and I'm pretty sure human blood would be low carb, especially you lot....slurp
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3719

Post by Eddie on Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:45

Dusk Till Dawn was a great Vampire film, but not for kids. Salma Hayek can bite me any time she likes. Good grief that Women could revive a week old corpse. Very Happy

Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4020

Post by Jan1 on Tue Feb 21 2017, 19:26

You guys make me laugh  Smile

Getting back on topic

This is a great cheese , but very pungent.
    It is high up on our cheese choice list!

Berthaut Epoisses De Bourgogne
    £6.22 (250g pack), waitrose.com
    This unpasteurised cows-milk cheese from the Côte-d'Or is pungent but delicious and was reportedly Napoleon's favourite.

It comes in at number eight on this list here ...
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/the-10-best-french-cheeses-6260294.html?action=gallery&ino=8

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Wed Feb 22 2017, 16:00

Was reading this about the best drink to have with cheese Exclamation

"Sometimes things are just meant to be together, like Sundays and roast dinners or Thelma and Louise.

For as long as we can remember, cheese and wine would also have been at the top of the list but not anymore.

Just like in any breakup, we immediately ask: WHO THEN? Or in this case, what?

Well, it turns out, that a delicious chunk of brie is actually better suited to the comfort of a hot cup of tea rather than the seductive nature of vino, reports Stylist.

*Digestives drop from mouths everywhere*

Food expert Rachel Safko explained Forbes that: 'Like wine, teas have varying degrees of tannin along with a natural astringency: a dryness and feeling that isn't quite bitter or sour, but more like the pleasant tartness and pucker you might get from tasting a lemon or pomegranate.

'Cheese – in its infinite glory – offers a nice balance to that astringency.'

But don't start hacking at the cheddar just yet, take some time to consider the fledgling relationship first.

Rachel advises that you think carefully about which cheese would work best with your tea of choice.

For example, she recommends brie with a 'crisp, lemony first flush Darjeeling' while green-tea lovers may want to opt for a creamy goats cheese instead of a Custard Cream.

The traditional 'builder's tea' lovers amongst us may want to stock up on a creamy blue cheese, such as gorgonzola or stilton because Safko advises that 'the salt and creaminess in [these cheeses] play off the sweetness and darker depths of the tea'.

We'll probably need a while to let this shocking news sink and so won't be throwing away the biscuit tin just yet but we're starting to warm to the idea of an afternoon cheese break. Though we're unlikely to be dunking our Dairylea anytime soon... "

Above words and picture from here
    http://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/foodnews/revealed-the-best-drink-to-pair-with-cheese-%e2%80%93-and-it-isnt-wine/ar-AAn7UZi?ocid=spartandhp

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Thu Feb 23 2017, 18:33

@mo1905 wrote:Cathedral City seriously strong mature cheddar......'nuff said :-)

Cutting up some mature cheddar to go with a nice glass of wine before dinner, I was reminded of Mo's comment.

And he's right - you can't beat a nice strong mature cheddar  sunny

Cheers

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Mar 28 2017, 13:20

We are really enjoying Halloumi Cheese at the moment ... even a few slices cooked in the pan can make for a lovely LCHF snack!

Halloumi is a firm, slightly springy white cheese from Cyprus, traditionally made with sheeps’ milk, although these days mass-produced varieties often use cows’ milk.

In texture, halloumi is similar to a firm mozzarella, making it a popular ingredient in Middle Eastern cooking. Unlike mozzarella, however, it has a strong salty flavour, particularly when preserved in brine.

Buyer's guide:
    The best halloumi is made from sheeps’ milk, and will come from Cyprus, although these days you can even find varieties made in Britain.

Storage:
    Halloumi will keep in the fridge for many months if left in its original packaging, complete with brine or whey. Once opened, submerge in salt water and refrigerate.

Preparation:
    In the Middle East, halloumi is usually fried or grilled to take advantage of its high melting point. Although halloumi can be eaten straight from the packet, some chefs recommend soaking it in buttermilk for a day or two before preparing, to give it a richer, less salty flavour.

Why not have a look at this recipe idea here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/halloumi-is-to-be-enjoyed.html

All the best Jan
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2431

Post by Paul1976 on Wed Mar 29 2017, 00:09

I'd never even heard of Halloumi until my first holiday to southern Cyprus where I had it everyday as a starter in the local taverns where I became seriously addicted to it! mrgreen Anyone who hasn't tried it fried or grilled yet really should I reckon. thumb-up

Male Posts : 1637

Post by Andy12345 on Wed Mar 29 2017, 00:22

Sounds good, I'll look out for it
    Eddie

Post by Eddie on Wed Mar 29 2017, 11:30

@Paul1976 wrote:I'd never even heard of Halloumi until my first holiday to southern Cyprus where I had it everyday as a starter in the local taverns where I became seriously addicted to it! mrgreen Anyone who hasn't tried it fried or grilled yet really should I reckon. thumb-up

Spotonski Paul, cut a piece off the block about 8mm thick as in Jan's pic and fry in a tiny nob of butter. Gold and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, tangy and salty, like you we have become addicted to it.

It's the phat I tell ya thumb-up

Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Mar 29 2017, 21:26

Strange, I tried to find this after you mentioned it before, without any luck. I'll have another go.

There are various sheep and goat cheeses in the cheese shop and even some in the Co-Op, just not halloumi.
    Eddie

Post by Eddie on Thu Mar 30 2017, 11:54

@chris c wrote:Strange, I tried to find this after you mentioned it before, without any luck. I'll have another go.

There are various sheep and goat cheeses in the cheese shop and even some in the Co-Op, just not halloumi.

"I tried to find this after you mentioned it before, without any luck"

I told you moving to that old fort off the Suffolk coast to get away from the nutter antis was a bad move.  affraid

chris c

Post by chris c on Thu Mar 30 2017, 23:01

Busted!

Actually I might take a trip to a nearby town which has a Waitrose, see if they stock it and also load up on President butter which also seems to have gone from the Co-Op to make more shelf space for some crap margarine.

chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Apr 03 2017, 00:32

I moved into one of these

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/globalassets/2.-old-website-images/property-images/m-to-r/martellotower/holiday/dsc_7850a.jpg

so the dieticians couldn't tunnel in and steal my butter, cheese and pheasants. So far so good.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Mon Apr 03 2017, 22:07

@chris c wrote:I moved into one of these

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/globalassets/2.-old-website-images/property-images/m-to-r/martellotower/holiday/dsc_7850a.jpg

so the dieticians couldn't tunnel in and steal my butter, cheese and pheasants. So far so good.

LOL ! Smile

Have you had any luck in getting some Halloumi Question

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Apr 03 2017, 23:19

Not yet, but i did buy some more sausages. Cumberlands and Gloucester Old Spot, just so I don't get bored. I still have a big wedge of Vacherin Mont d'Or while it's still available but I might drop by the cheese shop tomorrow, and look in the Organic Shop too, I don't think I tried there.
    chris c

Post by chris c on Thu Apr 06 2017, 22:39

Success! I now have Halloumi! I'l be trying frying some later. Organic shop came up trumps. They have some good things carefully concealed among all the Holy Health Grains.

The Cumberland sausages, not so much. The ones from my usual butcher are brilliant, these from the farm shop had far too much wheat (rusk). I'll be sticking to the Gloucester Old Spots and one or two others that don't. I don't recall it in the Cumberlands I used to buy Oop North either - there they came as a whole length rather than twisted into links. Lots of black pepper is the usual seasoning.

Just one of those things with all the butchers and farm shops, they all have their own recipes for speciality sausages. The butcher has excellent venison and wild boar sausages but some from a different village butcher were quite unspecial, there was apple in the wild boar.

Most of said butchers and farm shops also have a different selection of cheeses. I guess Halloumi just isn't popular, or well known, around these parts. Various other sheep and goat cheeses though I don't actually know any goat farms or places where the sheep are milked
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Apr 09 2017, 23:45

OK I tried the halloumi fried in butter as Eddie suggested. Yes it is a bit delicious! Reminds me a bit of the Irish cheddar that became unavailable in the way it goes golden. I used to love that grilled on toast back in the day, and more recently baked over Bolognese sauce.

So I also tried adding halloumi chunks to the Bolognese type sauce - bacon, mushrooms, multicoloured peppers, chillies, garlic, olives, ground beef, paprika, oregano and tomato puree fried in EVOO and then simmered with water until done.

That was so good I just had it again!

Next I'll try frying it in the EVOO.
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2431

Post by Paul1976 on Mon Apr 10 2017, 00:02

"So I also tried adding halloumi chunks to the Bolognese type sauce - bacon, mushrooms, multicoloured peppers, chillies, garlic, olives, ground beef, paprika, oregano and tomato puree fried in EVOO and then simmered with water until done."

You've (Literally) given me food for thought there Chris,that does sound like a delish combo.

Post by chris c on Mon Apr 10 2017, 00:20

Just whatever you do don't have the pasta! Generally I have it with seasonal green veggies instead - runner beans are best but asparagus or purple sprouting broccoli are also good. Today I had it with a SMALL portion of rice because I'd been walking a lot and didn't have many other carbs all day - I needed something to soak up the fatty juices.

I also do it with cheddar baked on top, but I think the halloumi just beats it. More Research Required.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Apr 11 2017, 11:12

thumb-up  So pleased you were able to get some Halloumi ... enjoy !

I recently got some more plus some good old mature cheddar, always good to have some handy in the fridge!

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Thu Apr 13 2017, 22:25

And now I just found it in the Co-Op, must have been a temporary shortage when I looked before.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sun Apr 16 2017, 11:13

Shock, horror affraid

Hoping to get some Halloumi for the Easter Weekend our local Sainsbury didn't have any on the shelf, so I bought some melon and prosciutto ham ... yes, I know it's not cheese, but it is a delicious combination and low in carbs too !

Back to Cheese - we do have some nice St Agur blue cheese in the fridge though Smile

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Apr 17 2017, 22:58

Oh interesting, so maybe the Halloumi shortage wends its way round the country from one supermarket to another. I'll buy some more before it goes away again then.

Current date/time is Sun Jul 23 2017, 11:48