The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Have a Chat

chris c

Re: Have a Chat

Post by chris c on Fri Nov 09 2018, 00:16

When you get used to it you can shift the gears without the clutch at all, just run the revs up and down with the throttle

to upshift fast they used to have a clutch brake

I remembered something else from my childhood holidays, as a special treat I would get one of those packs of small boxes of different breakfast cereals to eat in the evening when we were in a bed and breakfast. That obviously didn't do much good. Also a special treat - orange and passion fruit juice in a stylish bottle. Hot dogs, not so much.
    graham64

Male Posts : 3700

Post by graham64 on Fri Nov 09 2018, 23:07

The old cumbersome and slow breakdown truck we had at the garage I worked at had a gearbox that needed double declutch, it took me a while getting used to it but eventually it was no trouble, that said I don't think I'd like to go back to it modern synchromesh boxes are far superior

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over ten years

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Nov 11 2018, 22:51

Yes and no, a decent multispeed box like a Fuller is a class apart from a David Brown, and some synchro truck boxes had a very heavy shift in comparison. A lot of modern trucks have auto boxes, then they need a bunch of buttons and switches to override them when necessary, I bet they wouldn't go half a million miles without maintenance.

Admit synchros work well in cars, they don't have to handle the torque and don't wear out so fast. My previous Qashqai was the best of both worlds, synchro but would happily do clutchless shifts mainly between the top three close ratio gears. My current one has a different box and insists on the clutch.

My other favourite was the Wilson/self changing gears five speed much used in Bristol buses, you chose when to shift with the lever and the box worked out the details

too much power loss/not fuel efficient in trucks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Nov 15 2018, 16:27