The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Chicken some facts and recipe ideas

chris c

Re: Chicken some facts and recipe ideas

Post by chris c on Sun Jan 29 2017, 22:42

Ah, similar to one of the things I do, except I use coconut oil garlic and chillies and sometimes multicoloured peppers too.

I just had a flashback to Blackadder with Baldrick stuffing a chicken, but couldn't find a clip on YouTube.
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4151

Post by Jan1 on Wed Feb 08 2017, 23:37

How about this ...
    Chicken, pancetta and fennel stew

This simple chicken, pancetta and fennel stew dish, is a fuss-free, flavour-packed family dish – and you can easily amend the ingredients to suit the number of people sitting down to eat this dish. It is 'freezable' as well, an added bonus perhaps!

Ingredients:
    Serves Four
    2 tbsp olive oil
    600g (1lb 3oz) chicken thigh fillets, halved lengthways
    1 onion, sliced
    1 fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced
    3 garlic cloves, sliced
    65g smoked pancetta cubes
    600ml (1 pint) chicken stock
    100g (3 1/2oz) frozen peas
    1 x 400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    3 tbsp yogurt
    1 lemon, zested and juiced
    15g fresh mint, chopped
    15g fresh tarragon, chopped

Method:

Heat half the oil in a casserole or large lidded pan over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden. Remove from the dish and set aside.

Heat the remaining oil and cook the onion and fennel with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and pancetta, then cook for a further 2 minutes. Return the chicken to the casserole or pan, pour over the stock, bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the peas and beans and cook for a further 3 minutes. Stir in the yogurt, lemon zest and juice, and herbs, until heated through.

Recipe idea, with nutritional details, and other links also here
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/chicken-pancetta-and-fennel-stew.html

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Wed Jun 28 2017, 17:55

Mustard and Sage Chicken with Celeriac Mash

This meal is ready in under half an hour and tastes great!

Ingredients:
    Serves Three
    1 celeriac, peeled and cut into chunks
    3 chicken breasts, skinless
    1 tbsp. English mustard powder
    2 tsp olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    8 sage leaves, chopped
    100g low-fat crème fraîche, plus 2 tbsp. for the mash
    1 chicken stock cube
    2 tbsp. wholegrain mustard
    To Serve:
    275g cooked green veg, such as thin-stemmed broccoli, peas or Savoy cabbage,

Method:
    1. Put the celeriac in a bowl, add a splash of water and cover with cling film. Pierce the cling film and microwave on High for 10 minutes or until really tender.
    2. Meanwhile, put the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of cling film and lightly bash with rolling pin until they are an even thickness. Dust with the mustard powder. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the chicken breasts and brown on both sides. Add the garlic and sage to the pan, stirring in the gaps between the chicken, for 30 secs. to 1 minute, then crumble in the stock cube. Pour in 100ml hot water and add 100g crème fraîche. Stir the sauce around the chicken, then cover the pan with a lid and cook over a medium heat for 8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir through the mustard and season with plenty of black pepper.
    3. While the chicken cooks, drain any liquid from the celeriac, season, add the remaining 2 tbsp. crème fraîche and mash (or blitz to a purée in a food processor). Serve with the chicken and some green veg.

Original idea here
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/mustard-sage-chicken-celeriac-mash

If preferred you could use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts and 75g of full fat crème fraiche, instead of the low fat variety

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Aug 22 2017, 13:13

Chicken Cordon Bleu : A Tasty Dish

Ingredients
    Serves Four
    4g carbs per serving
    4 chicken breasts
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    ½ teaspoon dried thyme
    4 oz. / 110 g deli smoked ham
    4 oz. / 110 g gruyère cheese
    2 oz. / 50 g butter
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    salt and pepper

Serving
    7 oz. / 200 g lettuce
    1 carrot
    ½ zucchini (courgette)
    ½ lemon in pieces (small wedges)
    8 tablespoons / 125 ml olive oil
    salt and pepper

Recipe instructions here
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/chicken-cordon-bleu

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sat Sep 23 2017, 23:47

Chicken with Mushrooms and Peas

Ingredients:
    Serves Four
    2 tbsp. olive oil
    500g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
    a little flour, for dusting
    50g cubetti di pancetta
    300g small button mushrooms
    2 large shallots, chopped
    250ml chicken stock
    1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
    50g frozen peas
    small handful parsley, finely chopped

Method:
    1. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a frying pan. Season and dust the chicken with flour, brown on all sides. Remove. Fry the pancetta and mushrooms until softened, then remove.

2. Add the final tbsp. oil and cook shallots for 5 minutes. Add the stock and vinegar, bubble for 1-2 minutes. Return the chicken, pancetta and mushrooms and cook for 15 minutes. Add the peas and parsley and cook for 2 mins more, then serve.

Tastes great served with a mix of cauliflower and broccoli florets, or some buttery mashed swede.

Chicken can make a tasty meal and is usually very reasonably priced, it's also one of the most popular meats around. It has a high level of good quality protein, as well as B vitamins, iron, copper and selenium, I hope you may enjoy this dish soon.

Original recipe idea is here
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2469648/chicken-with-mushrooms

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Sep 24 2017, 22:42

You missed out the bacon! I usually have some bacon with my chicken, either chopped up if a stir fry or wrapped around chicken breasts and roasted, and sometimes with peas. I suppose the pancetta comes close. Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to buy more (frozen) peas today, now added to my next shopping list. I might have chicken next week. Bacon is NOT good in a chicken curry though, I substitute cashews.

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26 2017, 20:59