THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Are You From Hampshire ? Highest Amputation Rate

mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Are You From Hampshire ? Highest Amputation Rate Empty Are You From Hampshire ? Highest Amputation Rate

Post by mo1905 Thu Nov 27 2014, 16:51

Hardly a scientific study but a worthwhile reminder of what can ultimately happen if we fail to manage our diabetes long term, also, a good reminder to check your feet :

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2014-11-26/diabetes-amputee-urges-others-check-feet/
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Are You From Hampshire ? Highest Amputation Rate Empty Re: Are You From Hampshire ? Highest Amputation Rate

Post by zand Thu Nov 27 2014, 16:56

Oh, feet! I'm still forgetting them! A note on the bathroom cabinet might just do the trick........ Smile
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Are You From Hampshire ? Highest Amputation Rate Empty Re: Are You From Hampshire ? Highest Amputation Rate

Post by Eddie Thu Nov 27 2014, 17:10

"Fareham and Gosport, in Hampshire, have the highest rate of diabetes-related foot amputations in the country.

According to Diabetes UK, for every 1000 people with the condition, five have had a limb removed."

That looks like positive news to me. So, 1 in 200 diabetics lose a limb and its pretty much odds on they were poorly controlled diabetics. With the numbers our members are reporting I reckon we will be extremely unlucky to succumb to amputation. No excuse to let our guards down of course.
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Thu Nov 27 2014, 21:40

Glad I don't live there any more then.

Obviously, living in Hampshire is extremely dangerous.

It must have something to do with all those dropped aitches......
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Fri Nov 28 2014, 10:34

I always see a podiatrist every 2 months to get my feet pampered. It's a little luxury I've done since diagnosis. Only cost £25 which is worth every penny. You won't believe how much dead skin they remove ! Urgh ! My only problem is my feet are very ticklish so it's not always easy to keep them still :-)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 01:49